Creation Ranch 15

Creation Ranch 15

A Chapter by John Fredrick Carver

Chapter 15:   Standoff

 

 

When Eli looked to see how Eric had fared he saw that Eric was only injured, and Eric seeing Eli was now in charge slipped Eli his hair triggered pistol.  Eli took it and nodded.  Then he put the gun to Lois’ head and seemed about to pull the trigger when Hey pulled up to shoot him.

Hap saw it all and screamed at Hey, “Stop!”

Hey froze where he stood; not shooting but not looking at Hap either.

“If she dies, you do too,” Hap said; his gun on Hey.  “Everybody … listen to me!  That’s a hair trigger pistol Eli has there.  That means he’s going to die …” But Eli looked about to finish the job.  “Give them every chance for it not to go off and kill her where she lays.   Now Eli, my friend, it looks like you are the one to say what happens next … any ideas or are you just going to blow her head off and take your medicine as it comes?  Look at old Eric there … he-he’s alive and he’s going to be just fine.  I know you ain’t used to calling the shots boy, but try us … me and Eric will help keep you from making a big mistake either way.  Ain’t that right Eric?”  Eric smiled.  “Now, Eli don’t you do anything to let that thing go off?  You see that wire there on the trigger?  That means the slightest pressure and … good-bye to a large portion of Lois’ head.  Then I kill you and try to keep Eric alive even though he’s bleeding … bad.  We take what’s left of him anyway and we hold him hostage.  He ain’t going anywhere and they don’t even know he’s in trouble yet.”

At that new Eli glanced at Eric and Eric coughed up blood.  And Eli almost forgot what he was doing but recovered just as Hap attempted to grab the gun, and quickly changed his aim from Lois to Hap who moved in slowly saying, “Alright, Eli,” as he settled in not more than an inch from the barrel, “Let’s see if you are man enough to hold old Hap here hostage?” just as Eli came down with the butt of the gun on top Hap’s head squeezing off a round as he did.

Hap went down with a thud and Eli put the gun back on Lois’ head though she whimpered.

“I’m sorry, Lois,” he said, “I just don’t see any other way out.”

“Don’t shoot!” someone yelled from ahead on the road where Sheriff Fom stepped out; hands in the air.  “We have some more friends of yours you might want to make note of,” he said motioning to bring Tom and Lora and Lois’ mother into view.

When Eli saw Tom and Lora and the strange woman he did not know walking down the path toward him, he smiled but maintained his focus, knowing someone would be about to try him if he seemed preoccupied. 

“Now Eli, put down the gun?” the sheriff said stopping the entourage.

Eli noticed Hap was about to sit up, and switched from Lois to Hap as Lois got up and began to move toward Tom and Lora Havoll.  Eli held Hap under the chin, pulling his head back so he could not see what was going on for his head was pointed the other direction.  “Let her go!” he yelled.

“Now, easy there, Eli,” the sheriff said, “I said for you to put the gun down.”

“I’m saying it to you, now,” Eli said and squeezed the trigger so that Mayor Hogan was thrown back against the armed men behind him; dead as a doornail, or a little deader.  “I may be young but I know what I’m doing with this here gun.  That could have as easily been you Sheriff Fom.  Now, let Lois join them, and let Tom come up here and takeover for me.”  He fired another shot and one of the men holding Lora grabbed his side and fell, groaning as he did.

“Oh … Okay, now kid, don’t-don’t kill anyone else,” the sheriff said sending Tom to Eli, and then Lora too which was understood since she was without anyone to hold her back.  They cautiously walked up to the original trio for Lois’ mother was treated the same as Lora was though she was not being held prisoner so it seemed.

“Sorry Uncle Tom,” Eli said and Hap looked at Lois and, Lois like a chicken that just spied a bull snake in the grass.

“It’s alright, Eli,” Tom said as he took the gun from Eli and held it to Lora’s head, “It’s us Havolls they are interested in.”

“What are you waiting for?  Gun them all!” Hey said to the sheriff.   “Who cares if they take Hap and Eli with them?”

“Didn’t you hear the boy?  He called Tom his uncle.  Eric’s already dead because of you and Hap, Hap is as good as dead though all the men think him a hero.  And, they think they can just waltz right out of here like the barn dance was over.  Hap gladly grabbed a cart intended for Hogan and sort of rolled Eric’s near dead body into it as the group, bar floozy and all, made their way toward Sheriff Fom who was now joined by Hey.

“Let’s see?” the sheriff said.  “How’s this supposed to work?  Do you really think you are just going to up and walk right out from under our noses like we were dead weasels and you was a proud c**k?”

Tom nodded politely.

“You can have Hap back if you want but the rest of us are going toward the ranch,” Tom said.  Then he pointed the hair triggered gun at the sheriff, “Unless you’d care to join us to guarantee us safe passage?” and then put the pistol right on the sheriff’s nose while Hey melted away into the crowd.  Then Tom held the gun to Lora’s head again as they parted the rest of the army.

When the sheriff realized he was alive he gathered his wits and stood in the lead again, joined one more time by Hey.

“I suppose we’ll see you at the ranch soon?” Tom called back.

“Ranch hell … you mean, fort, don’t you?” Sheriff Fom yelled and Hey shook his head as Tom tipped his hat and turned to join the others now out of range.


© 2013 John Fredrick Carver


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Latest chapter added just before the last chapter; chapter 16.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
1 Review
Added on July 24, 2013
Last Updated on July 27, 2013
Tags: online novel, western


Author

John Fredrick Carver
John Fredrick Carver

Northern Minnesota, USA, MN



About
Nobody cared. I thought some of you at least one of you all were my friend. more..

Writing