Gypsy Soul

Gypsy Soul

A Poem by Meghan

I was slightly scarred, I was marked, I was young at heart
I gave you so little, and took so much, and I broke you
Together wasn't quite enough, and forever's a matter of luck
It always came to an end just to start again 
different people, different place, same song

I wanted you to see I was free, wanted you to see you couldn't hold me
But all I did was show a gypsy soul gets you lost
I could've had you and love, and I gave it up to show I was tough
But all I did was show I was weak, all I did was show how scared
I'd become from running

The simple words that we spoke
Had been stitched in the palm of your hand,
And whispered fables and myths 
From every place that I'd been,
Tattooed on the back of my neck
I saw your color blue in every sky
And I saw my green in every valley
And when I saw them both together
I knew I had been selfish, I knew I had been cruel
So I came back to you, I came back to you

I had built myself as wild, free, and running
Living on memories and stories half-remembered
You changed me for just a moment, stopped time, my heart had been stolen
I had always been the gypsy thief, but this time you took from me
And I knew why I came back to you

Cause your voice was familiar and true
And my green was brilliant with your blue
And you had tamed the wanderer in me
Tamed my soul, but I was still a gypsy,
Just happier there in your light

 

© 2011 Meghan


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Really enjoyed reading this. The title reminds me of an ole Van Morrison song... think it was called "Into the Mystic" if I remember right.

Anyways, I really love the pace, rhythm, and the rhyming done within the poem. It's quite swell if I must say so with a british accent swirling his cup of tea in a fine elegant stance with admiration in his facial expressions. It's a very well-established monologue about someone, certainly female, who comes to terms with the things happening within a relationship that seem to occur between them and their partner. Atleast, that's what I can concur with myself about the underlining story about/within the poem. And certainly I must admit that your metaphors do a remarkable job establishing emotions and actions which are brought out in the poem.
One thing though, in aspect of constructive criticism, about poetry is that it's composed mainly of sentence fragments (resembles sentence structure, but doesn't make a complete sentence)... once you start using complete sentences, you're getting into one of the hardest types of poetry which is known as prose-poetry. The thing I'm mainly hinting towards is the use of a period in poetry... really in poetry, the true period is a line-break (when one line ends and new one begins). Basically it's the resemblance of a period in the matter of pausing before starting a new line rather than in complete sentence structure where it represents the ending of a phrase/sentence. So remember that there's no real need for periods in poetry, line-breaks represent that aspect.
Also, there's bit of grammatical errors, such as in line 2 and stanza 3, line 9.
Though Overall, I find this to be fabulous writing... definitely talent is what I'm seeing here. I think a 94/100 is a perfect score for this. Keep up the good work, and hope to hear more from you.


Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You have such a gift, I am completely blown away.

Posted 11 Years Ago


awesome piece of poetry...so many us run away from love and commitment coz we feel it ruins what we have not realising it replaces what we have with something much more profound and beautiful...just like this poem... :-)

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is beautiful. I identified with it so easily that I knew, at the end of the second stanza, that it was being scrawled into my mind and heart in permanent marker. The curse of a gypsy soul is perhaps over-simplified here, but not in a way that sacrifices complexity. Just in a way that summarizes it. Like a portable eternity of stories and camp fire music. Skillfully conveyed poetry and amazing imagery. Every bohemian tassel and bead is gracefully accounted for.

Posted 12 Years Ago


nicley said poem great work keep it up loved reading this poem

Posted 12 Years Ago


You should be very proud of this work, it's profound, dynamic, loving and a proof a feisty soul can never be fully tamed, it can just pretend for someone who she cares about. Lovely :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS IT'S SO CREATIVE AND FULL OF TALENT!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MAC
hey Derek, you do remember correctly and this would be an excellent poem to turn into one of his songs. it flows so well and Meghan I have no idea if this is your best until I read them all but WOW this is amazingly good.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
V
I really loved reading this. all the words you used, forming unique lines and stanzas. This poem has a restless temper, and it feels/ sounds almost like a song to me. I could even imagine a rough draft of a melody while reading. The sound of an acoustic guitar would be perfect for this one :) nice piece of writing :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this made me tear up,i recently (well 4 months back) got dumped by the woman i believe to be the woman i am meant to be with. i am waiting for her and this poem showed me how important it is to wait if you believe the love is true.
thank you for this outstanding piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JC
i was thinking while reading this that i too knew that hardship and the blues of gyspy shoes, but that you never would have written such a great and insightful poem had you not lived the way you did, dig it.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2325 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 6, 2011
Last Updated on December 8, 2011
Previous Versions

Author

Meghan
Meghan

Raleigh, NC



Writing
Loving You Loving You

A Poem by Meghan


The Lighter The Lighter

A Poem by Meghan


Lex Lex

A Poem by Meghan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Succubus Succubus

A Poem by Muse


Choke me Choke me

A Poem by Muse


Roundabout Roundabout

A Poem by Meghan