Helen's Will

Helen's Will

A Chapter by George Love

 

Helen’s Will
 
Helen's will to live was a lot stronger than the complex condition that threatened to take her life. She fought back from the edge of the abyss yet another time and was able to sit up in bed within two days of this incident. She was still very sick and on many medications, but she appeared to be making a slow and steady recovery. At least she was breathing on her own and she could talk. This was a significant improvement, but she was still in serious condition, but the staff upgraded her condition to stable.
“You're looking very much better today.” Greg did his best to hide the shock on his face as Helen stirred from an uneasy sleep.
“You're a lousy liar.”
“Kevin tells me that a lot. You do look like you are doing better though.”
“I feel horrible. The girls were here?” 
“And Kevin, not that anyone expected you to remember. Kevin and I started taking shifts sitting with you through the night. The girls have been in and out. With the tutor and training, they are staying active.”
            “They actually came all this way for me?”
            “They are your family Helen. Those girls still love you and Kevin cares about your well being, just like I worry. This is about life and family, not ambition and ratings.”
            “I deserve that I guess. Where are they now?
            “They're at the gym. Kevin found them a gymnastics club here so they could continue to train. They'll be back in a couple of hours. Helen, what on earth happened?”
            “I messed up. I never got medical treatment for what Marco did to me and then I slept with my personal trainer. Stupid, stupid mistakes.”
            “We all make mistakes.”
            “Mine are huge.”
            “And mine wasn't? I lived on the streets while Kevin rebuilt his career. You know how hard it is to come back from burnout? I still have to battle myself to go to work, but I love it once I'm there.”
            “Honestly, I never thought about it. It's really that hard?”
            “Yeah, and Kevin did it without your help. At least I have someone to help me through it. Joyce has been a great help. If it wasn't for her, I would have gone back to living on the streets by now. Recovery from burnout isn't easy and Kevin did it without a lot of support.”
            “I think I get it. I've seriously been a b***h to him in the past.”
            “You'll get no arguments from me, but I'm partial. He did save my life.”
            “Mine too, and then I do something that lands me near dying again.”
            “I hope you recover to get a second chance with your life. You can make something of it, and not just in broadcasting.”
            “I do hope for that chance. I feel dreadful.”
            “You need me to get anything for you?”
            “Thanks, I think I just need to rest some more. Did Kevin get the things I left him?”
            “Safe deposit box keys and your will? Yeah, he got them. You want him to keep them or give them back?”
            “Keep them. Nothing that I really need in them. He will put them to better use than I will.”
            “You made him your executor. Are you certain you want that?”
            “I'm sure. I've got to try to repay the girls somehow. The will takes care of them, all five.”
            “Three Helen, just three.”
            “No, no. Five. Michelle's girls will be his as well. I messed up their lives too.”
            “Now, wait. You didn't do anything to them.”
            “No? She married a cop who left her a widow. She married that man because of what I did.”
            “You've certainly got a guilt complex Helen. Let's get out off death's doorstep before you do anything rash.”
            “I had that will drawn up last month. There's nothing rash about it.”
            “Okay, okay. I see where you might be going with this. I understand. Look, since you are awake, and I think a lot more stable, I need something to eat. You think you'll be okay while I go to the cafeteria?”
            “I don't think they'll allow me go anywhere. My legs feel like they weigh a ton each.”
            “Good, you are complaining. That's a good sign.”
            “So they tell me. You run on along and get something to eat. I'm going to rest a while.”
            Greg decided the hospital snack shop was as decent a meal he was going to get that morning. He called Joyce, forgetting the time difference again but at least she was a friendly voice once she woke up at five o'clock in the morning on this rainy Houston Sunday. 
            “So she's going to pull through after all?”
            “She looks like hell, but I think she might live. She's sitting up in bed and talking. Woman has a huge guilt complex I can tell you that right now.”
            “Let her. She's got enough to feel guilty about.”
            “I understand. I just don't want to see Kevin getting pulled back in by her. Have I told you today “I love you”?”
            “No, not yet, but the day is quite young.”
            “Well lady, I love you. Now get some sleep. I believe we will be coming home in a day or two. I'm starting to miss things, like you!”
            “Well Mister, I love you too. Take care of Kevin and keep Helen from getting her claws back into him. Tell Kevin practice has been rained out all week. We've had some heavy rains here the past few days. He hasn't missed anything but Crystal is missing him and her sisters big time.”
            “I'll let him know that. Helen's not getting back with Kevin. The girls will kill him if he lets her back into their lives. They may love her, but they don't like her a lot.”
            “Good for them. Life Star hasn't fallen apart either, so Kevin had best get back to keep it that way.”
            “I think we may be on the way back pretty soon. We've accomplished what we needed to accomplish and the girls have done a little historic sightseeing to satisfy the educators. I'm looking forward to coming home.”
            “Take care. Let me get some sleep.”
            “Sleep, what's that? Take it easy now. Bye”


© 2008 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

was taken in by how u chose to write this. it is a perfect example of something original and fresh. i hope u have much luck on all future writings. this was certainly a good one.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
1 Review
Added on February 10, 2008


Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love