Dale

Dale

A Chapter by George Love
"

Dale closes the ranch to business as he remembers his latest tragedy

"

 

Dale
 
The dream was always the same. It always took him to the night he met Shelby. He never dreamed about the day she died, except on the day of her funeral.   Stiffly, he forced himself to get up and meet the day. The sofa was not the best bed in the house, but it was the only place he allowed himself to sleep.
            Brandy rubbed against his legs as he went to the bathroom to shower, shave and get dressed. 
            “Hey girl. Hungry?” The house cat with attitude purred softly as she waited for him to finish his morning ritual. She could hope for an early breakfast, but Dale never gave in to her demands. The only luxury he provided her was her occasional ice cream treat. 
            Dale completed the rounds to each of the stables and barns on his expansive Oklahoma ranch. The isolation of the large estate was his sanctuary and his prison.  His horses were well known across the state and into Texas. Everyone knew if you needed a good working saddle horse, pleasure horse or thoroughbred, the Weston Ranch was the place to go. Dale's expertise in equine breeding was second to none in the southwest.
            He checked his herd of Mustangs, Paso Finas and Thoroughbreds for numbers and mares ready to foal. This ranch was his pride and joy. His love of horses went back as far as he could remember. This was all he cared about. Ever since the day Shelby died, he threw himself into his ranch. He increased the size of each herd and added the Paso herd. This was his biggest challenge yet, but because he had nothing else to distract him, the work with his horses took care of the pain.
            The slight limp was much less pronounced than it was in the weeks after he was allowed to come home. Physical therapy allowed him to return to the ranch he loved and enabled him to ride again. He was told by several therapists the emotional damage caused by Shelby's death may never heal. He dreaded sleep tonight. Tonight of all nights because this day marked the fourth anniversary of the day he lost almost everything he held dear in his life.
            Dale returned to the big house and unlocked the door. Everything was still the way it was that morning, except it was covered in a fine layer of dust. He looked around the entry way, shut the door, locked it and sat on the top step of the porch. The memories from the period he and Shelby spent inside the large estate house were too much for him to handle.
            Sandy, his lead ranch hand, brought him the usual cup of coffee. It was hot, light and sweet. The tin cup bore the scars of many overnight trail rides. 
            “Thanks Sandy,” Dale said. “How are the Mustangs today?”
            “They're doing great Dale. That one brood mare looks like she's ready to drop in a couple of weeks. Doc coming out to check her today?”
            “Not today. He'll be around in the morning.” Dale sipped the hot coffee and stared into the early morning sun. “I guess I best get on into town and let that head doctor talk to me some more. I tell her I'm about as good I'm gonna be.”
            “Never know Boss,” Sandy said. “Shelby helped you turn the Weston Ranch into what it is today. She was a good friend. We all liked her.”
            “Sandy, I thank you for remembering her kindly. Wasn't a better kid doctor in the whole southwest. How's your little girl doin'?”
            “Fine, still wants to come out here and learn to ride. She really wants you to teach her Dale. I tell her she’s just too young to ride, but she don't listen.”
            “She's fine, just not today. No one rides on the ranch today. You made sure we had no sales or lessons scheduled today?”
            “Like always. We can't keep the walk-in business out though. Even the closed sign at the main road don't stop'em.”
            “Well, don't let nobody ride today. I'm off to town for a bit. No calls to my cell either.” Dale knew she would carry out his instructions. He had few rules at his ranch, but the rules today were strict. No one rode a horse for any reason on the anniversary of Shelby's death and no one called Dale's cell. He kept it turned off anyway. 
            He took one more long drink of his coffee and threw the rest to the ground. It created a small puddle in the dry dust at the edge of the driveway. He dusted off his hat and placed it in the hat rack in his old Bronco. Town and his session with the psychologist were a twenty-minute drive if Mike wasn't doing radar today. Even if he was, Mike normally let Dale go with a quick warning toot on the siren. The sun beat down on the fields unmercifully again today. If you had not lost your wife and child four years ago, it was a great day to be alive.


© 2008 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

She dies? :(

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

powerfully written

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 11, 2008


Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love