Words

Words

A Story by Alice
"

a short little thing about a king who's lost everything except his memories and his pen

"

Words. Many, many words.

They are his only companions now. The rest of time may have crashed, but not his words. They, and his memories remained, and for this he was grateful.

Many pages now surround him, whereas before he only had one. At first he found it hard to begin, for where was the proper beginning of the story? Was it his first look into those green eyes? Or was it the first time that sweeping hand had presented his future kingdom to him? This pressing issue made him stop and think hard for a long time, but eventually words made their way onto the paper. He had decided to begin at the very first event in the long timeline of his history. His birth.

Of course he wouldn’t be able to remember it himself, but he had kept to heart his mother’s stories and his father’s accounts, and he filled in the gaps with these added words from other people’s mouths. 

He soon continued on from that event, time flowing through the ink of his pen and recreating the memories into the written words. Sometimes, he wrote slowly, other times like there was no alternative. Some he considered leaving out, but in the end he wrote about them all.

Other times, he’d take a break from these written accounts of his history, to another pile of papers. His letters.

Even now, he had long conversations with his loved one. He recounted countless memories, and told her what he had done in the day, and how much he wanted her how everything had changed.

He signed each letter off with a kiss, and put them in a large box that he kept near him at all times.

To one looking on, it is obvious that the end of this man would be when his papers ran out, and his ink no longer flowed. For now, at least, there seemed no end to both. For now, the capturing of memories and sealing kisses would continue.

© 2013 Alice


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the words you choose, not the obvious wordings all the time. Sometimes it does come off a bit forced ("he had kept to heart his mother’s stories"), but it's not disturbing.

It makes me want to know more, some small parts about events in his life would be fun to read. But not especially necessary, at this point it's something my mind can wander about.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alice

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your comments!
I'll attempt to continue this some time later.



Reviews

I like the words you choose, not the obvious wordings all the time. Sometimes it does come off a bit forced ("he had kept to heart his mother’s stories"), but it's not disturbing.

It makes me want to know more, some small parts about events in his life would be fun to read. But not especially necessary, at this point it's something my mind can wander about.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alice

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your comments!
I'll attempt to continue this some time later.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 27, 2013
Last Updated on November 27, 2013

Author

Alice
Alice

About
My brain likes to spout paragraphs that I can't always get down on paper fast enough. I hope I'll be able to do it this time round. more..

Writing
The Airport The Airport

A Story by Alice