One

One

A Chapter by alpinets


Her room looked like a department store display after a huge clearance sale.


She stood in front of the mirrored closet door, smoothing down the fabric of the dress. Too formal, she thought, pulling the fabric over her head in one swift motion. She slipped into a tight pair of black pants and a black lightweight sweater. Black on black. Casual, slimming, sexy. Her long curls were beyond help, twisting in all directions, waving down to her shoulders. With determination she squeezed her feet into the peep-toe booties and glanced at her watch. 7:45pm. She was 15 minutes away from perhaps the best or worst night of her life.


Getting back out there is terrifying. Especially given the pain and grief her last relationship had caused, when her boyfriend cheated on her and lied about it. What’s even worse is she’d had suspicions, but believed him, because after all, he was a good person. Good people don’t have side b*****s, and they especially don’t f**k them. Her heart stung briefly as she remembered the moment when she realized the truth. She’d been played all along. Tears pricked her eyes and she willed them away, nothing was going to ruin her fabulous makeup job. With a sigh she grabbed her coat, and headed out from her apartment.


The night air was brisk, and the city streets were alive and well with activity. She wrapped her coat around herself, hugging it close to her body like it was a security blanket. She kept her head down as she navigated the busy street, watching her breath appear in short, wispy waves. You can do this. You’ve been waiting for the right guy, maybe this is him. This night could be the start of everything you’ve ever wanted….


She approached the corner, glancing up and checking the street before crossing. “Watch out!” A voice shouted, and the next thing she knew she was laying in the middle of a crosswalk, looking up at the night sky as the snow began to fall. On one side there was a bike, on the other there was a guy scrambling to get up from the pavement. Spectators began murmuring as she made her way to her feet, her hand on her head.


“Oh my god, I am so sorry. Are you alright?”


She turned, and saw a relatively handsome man step towards her. He was tall, with wide eyes and tidy hair. His expression was concerned, his eyebrows furrowing with worry, his lips parted ever so slightly as he waited her response.


Oh my god, she thought. It’s him. Her mystery date had just run her over in the middle of the street.


“I….” She began, unsure where to start, stepping off to the side of the street, watching as he picked up his bike. Traffic resumed as everyone else went about their business. “I’m….” She realized her hand was still on her head, presumably the cause of his concerned expression. “I’m Jo.”


“Jo.” He replied, reaching out to shake her hand. “I’m Jesse.” He paused, “It’s...nice to meet  you?” He asked, not sure what else to say.


“Yeah. You too.” She smiled, nodding slightly. She winced and he stepped closer.


“You’re bleeding.” He gestured to the side of his head, indicating her wound from the fall. “Let me take you to the hospital. It’s the least I could do.”


“It’s nothing really, I can go.” Her vision blurred as she stepped towards the edge of the street, attempting to hail a cab.


A sharp whistle pierced her ears, ringing dully as she watched a taxi approach slowly. Her consciousness faded as she felt hands helping her into the cab. She found herself too disoriented to protest as Jesse helped himself into the cab a moment later. She struggled to stay awake as the cab sped off, blurring the colorful lights into thin, racing lights….



© 2017 alpinets


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
Added on September 6, 2017
Last Updated on September 18, 2017


Author

alpinets
alpinets

new york, NY



About
I'm a recent college graduate with a B.A. in Communications. Coffee and Grey's Anatomy are my two favorite things on the planet. I enjoy writing, road-trips and top 40 music. I'm passionate about peop.. more..

Writing
Two Two

A Chapter by alpinets


Three Three

A Chapter by alpinets


Four Four

A Chapter by alpinets