Chapter 4: Just an Old Man

Chapter 4: Just an Old Man

A Chapter by M.R Steiner
"

they took her eyes and left her for dead.

"

Chapter 4: Just an Old Man

 

March awoke to the pain like a drill in each eye socket. Her wails were invisible over the cascade of the waterfall, unanswered by all but one.

 

A jagged sensation tore at her fingers. Her arm snapped back against the bite of Vermin. A dozen or so surrounded her. Somehow March managed to stand weak and weary as her face still bled.

 

Her legs gave way and the floor struck her face. The Vermin knew she was easy prey. Each of their mandibles sunk into March’s ankles in a frenzy. Again, her body lifted up off the ground with a woozy mind and barely a notice of the chunks taken out of her skin, swallowed by the black void where vision once held.

 

“Strike!” she blindly grabbed the nearest one, “then twist.” There was no time for throttle.

 

It took what little strength remained but it seemed to scare them away. Her heart beat raced as each hand fumbled at the walls. Soon the Vermin returned with even more clicks and hisses.

 

March clutched at the railing of the walkway under the fall where only two choices remained, be eaten alive by the animals she hunted or fall to her death. With a stiffening of her body, she plummeted over the side. Her final thoughts were confusion and pain, doubt and fear, all without a shred of happiness for her hard life, yet still she wished it wasn’t the end.

 

The water slapped her skin with force and she went straight over another fall, by the fourth time she passed out and floated further than ever imagined. She drifted past junctions after junction until her body washed up at the very end of the system itself.

 

Cold fingers twitched as the water burned her cuts.

 

“Impossible, you’re alive?” said a croaky voice.

 

“Stay away…” March whispered.

 

“I’m sorry, I was only curious.” His footsteps lurched closer.

 

“Please, just leave me alone.”

 

March didn’t care who it was, she just wanted to die in peace.

 

“I can help you girl, it would be rude of me not to.”

 

“No you don’t.”

 

“I think I know my intentions better than a blind girl. The only other option is dying here in the gutter. Of course I will follow your decision, so which is it?”

 

March sobbed then nodded. Against all better judgment she trusted this stranger who just happened by.

 

She hated herself for giving in to a fool’s chance, one he probably used to keep her quiet. Nevertheless a set of cold leathery hands clasped around each ankle to drag her away. Bloody tears ran down her cheeks. To her it was a certainty that this man wanted cut her up like the rest.

 

March passed out once again and awoke to the noise of churning machinery with the cold touch of metal at her back.

 

“Please don’t get off the table. I haven’t even started to clean your wounds yet, the anaesthetic should keep you comfortable.”

 

A chorus of opened and slammed draws sounded around her as the man rushed about.

 

Dull senses drifted through her face and ribs, “Who are you?”

 

“Just an Old Man,” his voice travelled around the room. “And who might you be?”

 

He sounded odd to her, almost manic with a hint of sadness. “My… name is March.” A needle entered her arm and washed away the remaining senses. Her left ear muffled as though it were blocked as her body went still.

 

“I’m sorry if I sneaked that injection on you, my bedside manner hasn’t been needed for quite some time. I assure you it’s vital if you’re going to have any hope of seeing again.”

 

“What do you mean see again, who are you?”

 

“I told you, just an Old Man.”



© 2016 M.R Steiner


Author's Note

M.R Steiner
will add this before I sleep :)

I always review back! and pride myself on giving real honest feedback about my reading experience :)

I'm trying to improve my own writing, this is another experiment into altering a book I finished a while ago. it was in a different tense and I'm still learning so it's not perfect but I really want your help, be brutal. even if you hate it, please say why? :) thank you

cheers for the honest suggestions from last time for those who reviewed, your awesome, lets keep the ball rolling,

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I wish i could write this well, but im not there yet, another great chapter, i feel. Like a broken record when i say this, but keep up the good work

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

M.R Steiner

7 Years Ago

I always appreciate the compliment, I still have a long long way to go and improve but I'm enjoying .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
1 Review
Added on October 9, 2016
Last Updated on October 9, 2016
Tags: cyberpunk, augmented reality, tragedy, dark, life, sad, adventure, pain, story, teen, evil, genocide, fascism, future, dystopia, end of the world, animals, hybrids, singularity


Author

M.R Steiner
M.R Steiner

a terrible city, an even more terrible region, United Kingdom



About
looking for advice and feedback, every critic welcome no matter what, I will thank you :) more..

Writing