A Reply to Anti-Suicide Advocates (Aged 19)

A Reply to Anti-Suicide Advocates (Aged 19)

A Chapter by Louise Wilson
"

Before you can even think that you might have a problem, you cling to a world view. I would spend my time justifying myself, even against imaginary foes. It was that important.

"
Dear sir:
I welcome, though I do not agree with, your opinion.  Now I welcome you to mine.  You have written against suicide, in all its forms.  That is a noble opinion.  Suicide does turn away any other potential for an individual, the good as well as the bad.  In that light, as a thing which destroys good, suicide is a terrible thing.  
But in the world that I see, humans are not consistently noble.  This nobility, deeming suicide a terrible thing because it destroys good, ignores the other facet to suicide: the removal of the potential for bad.  A Hitler reference comes to mind, but truly bears no relevance, outside of polarization.  I do not advocate suicide, but there are times when the foreseeable bad outweighs the foreseeable good, and it seems the only answer.  And yes, this is taking my argument against the terribleness of suicide and merely inverting it: as deeming suicide terrible ignores the potential for true misfortune, deeming suicide as a way out of a bad situation ignores the potential of blessedness.
I do not mean to defeat the argument for suicide as evil by stating that suicide can be good.  In the cases of the teenage Valedictorian and Sports Star who caves under the pressure of expectations and the Prisoner who sees no escape, if both fall to suicide, then in both the potential for good and evil has been lost.  We might carry on debate over which had more reason for suicide, but that is not my point at the moment.  My point, is that while many people, such as yourself, believe that suicide is wrong, others, such as my younger self, believe that it is the only way.  Human beings, living, breathing, thinking, sentient beings, believe these things to the bottoms of their hearts.  I mean to say that suicide is an action, that right or wrong comes to the judgement of the individual.  And that a judgement from the camp opposite your own is not invalid, merely different.
To have written such a passionate response, you must have a strong belief that you are right.  Before I chose a different course for myself, I believed that suicide was the correct course for me.  I believed myself worthless, tainted, and I believed that I stained everything that I touched.  I believed that the world could be a better place only without me.  Sir, there is no mediating force to determine which of our beliefs is or was correct.  Without a mediator, we two contenders are left alone to defend ourselves.  Neither of us will conquer the other.  There will not be a victory for either of us.  All that is left is for us to acknowledge the existence of the other, and mayhap seek for a peace in our fight through understanding the other’s motives.
At the beginning of this, I offered an opinion.  Here it is: broad and general statements, of either condemnation or exaltation, obliterate or whitewash the individual (and yes, this is a broad and general statement.).  The individual is all that really exists.  All other, larger constructs, such as culture, society, art, economy, history, poverty, depend on the individual.  My advice, if I may give it, is to leave nobility to the Noble Gases.  Get to know your fellow individuals.  Hope instead for humanity.  That alone is the province of Homo Sapiens Sapiens.


© 2014 Louise Wilson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on July 19, 2014
Last Updated on July 19, 2014


Author

Louise Wilson
Louise Wilson

Columbus, OH



About
I am a young woman, writing from a place deep between my past and future. I tend to over think about everything, and have found writing therapeutic and sharing even more so. I thank all who venture .. more..

Writing
Today Today

A Poem by Louise Wilson