Lover's Time

Lover's Time

A Story by Ashley
"

A very short story on a couple facing death.

"

It was her time. Maybe they made a mistake and she would come back. She said to let her go, but I can’t. I held her close to me. I brushed her glistening hair behind her ears. It was soft and lightly smelled of strawberries. My favorite smell. Her eyes were open, they looked peaceful. The sun was setting in her eyes. Soon the bright colored sea became a dark cold ocean. It was dark; I could only see the stars. It’s like they knew. They shone extra bright as if welcoming a new soul. I hoped she was at the gates. I hoped she would persuade them to let her come back. She thought she was going to hell. She remembered things she did but I told her God was already punishing her. She got angry and said God gave her a gift, her sacrifice for a cure.

That became our first fight. I didn’t believe in God because it seemed like He wasn’t helping my life. Everyone I loved was taken from me. He never answered my prayers so why should I believe in him. She wouldn’t let up so I agreed wit her. Then she got sick again and everything was forgotten. I stayed with her through the night, and then we went on a picnic in the morning. Her parents knew something I didn’t because they were reluctant to give her away.

We lay on the grass, and watched the clouds roll by. They were dark and they threatened rain. She grabbed my hand and I held it tight.

“Today,” she said, breaking the silence. I turned my head to look at her. Her face was blank, there was no emotion.

“What?” I asked. She still stared at the sky.

“Today, I die today.” She looked at me, expecting something. I smiled.

“You said that last week. You’re not dying anytime soon.” I hoped she would be quiet again, but I only made it worse.

“I didn’t feel it last week, now I do. Even my parents feel it.” I shook my head as I sat up. A tear rolled down my face. I wiped it away before she saw.

“No, you’re not. You’re never right with your feelings. What makes you so sure?” I asked her, trying so hard not to cry. She sat up and leaned her head against my shoulder.

“The signs, they’re everywhere. I can feel my heart slowing down, my breath one step away.” I quickly stood up. I was sick of hearing her talk about dying. Was she trying to hurt me? I walked a distance before I turned around. That’s when my heart leaped to my throat. She was motionless, on the ground. I ran to her, and screamed her name. There was no response. I gathered her slim body and held her to me. She was still breathing.

“Don’t, please, stay with me,” I begged her. Her gaze was on the sky.

“Do you think they’ll accept me?” Tears were trailing non-stop down my face. I nodded as an answer.

“I’m sorry, for not believing in you, I’m sorry,” I blabbered on like a fool, but it didn’t matter because I was losing my true love.

“I love you,” she said before taking her last breath. I held her and cried for hours. To this day, I still miss her. I haven’t yet found someone else and I hope that when I die, I will see her again.  


 

© 2009 Ashley


Author's Note

Ashley
This is one of my favorite stories so please be gentle :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
Added on January 5, 2009

Author

Ashley
Ashley

AZ



About
Well, I love to write on my own. I'm hoping to make new friends and what not so let me get started :D more..

Writing
War 2 War 2

A Story by Ashley


War War

A Story by Ashley