The Abandoned

The Abandoned

A Chapter by Cristalle Kao

Chapter 1. KAZ

Arkacia Space Station

 

The garden had perfect blooms, as it always did. Kaz walked along the rows of perfect roses, lost in his own perfect world. Arkacia did not like anything imperfect, and neither did the Arkacian Council. Kaz couldn’t remember a time where anything wasn’t perfect. If anything was wrong, it was immediately corrected. As Kaz was walking by himself, his mother, Litzria walked up behind him. She was in her early 50’s. But didn’t look a day over 40.  The benefits of IAON, Arkacia’s medical system. IAON can cure anything, can heal everything.

“Kaz, here you are. I was walking around trying to find you.” She spoke softly.

“I’m always here when I’m not in class mother.” Kaz spoke back equally as soft. No one ever yelled on Arkacia; Except the young children. It was unseemly; the rich never needed to yell.

“Kaz, your father would like to speak with you for a moment. Up on the bridge with the council members.”

Kaz nodded is head in agreement, gave his mother a kiss on the cheek and walked towards the bridge. The bridge was located in the middle of Arkacia. The Arkacian Council always stayed there during the day, and nobody else was allowed entry if they were not invited by a member of the council. Kaz, however had been there many times. After all, his father Reish is the Head Councilman. Kaz had guessed what his father wanted to speak to him about. Lately, his father had been discussing Kaz’s upcoming 18th birthday. By Arkacian Law, when a member on the station turns 18 they are required to serve the council and station in some way.

Kaz reaches the bridge and knocks on the door. “Please excuse me, this is Kaz. I am here to see my father as requested.”

“Enter” comes a voice from inside the room. The metal door slides open for him and Kaz walks inside. There are more stations than Kaz can count. All of them with people watching screens and writing things down on tablets.  “Kaz. Over here.” He looks to his right and finds his father beckoning. He makes his way over to him and they both sit down at a rectangular table.

“Thank you for coming. Now, lets discuss this new position on the council. Kaz, your 18th birthday is coming up. You are aware that you haven’t chosen how you will benefit Arkacia yet.” Reish looks at Kaz as he speaks with power.

“I am aware, father.” Kaz replies simply. He sits quietly and allows the council to debate the benefit of enlisting such a young boy into the council. Kaz looks over at one of the screens and watches as representatives from Arkacia line citizens of Earth up. What’s going on?  Kaz thinks, engrossed in the events unfolding on the screen. He is so caught up in trying to understand what is happening on Earth that he doesn’t hear his father’s call at first.
         “Kaz. Pay attention. Do you have even the slightest disagreement with joining the Council?” Reish asks him. He gets panicked, and thinks about the boring life he would have, holed up on the bridge, watching Earth.

“Um” Kaz stalls. “I was sort of thinking that I could be a representative.” At that declaration the entire council goes quiet. No one or Arkacia voluntarily decides to go to Earth. The air is impure, the people riddled with disease, and the homes less than hospitable. At least, that is what they are taught in Arkacia. But even so, Kaz has always been drawn to Earth. He wants to breathe that air and meet those people. But this opinion is not popular or liked within the council. “Kaz. Come with me. Now.” Reish commands, and Kaz follows. Reish leads them away from the bridge and they walk towards the private office reserved for council members. As soon as the door is shut Reish looks at Kaz.

“Are you stupid? Why the hell would you want to go down there? You’re smarter than that! I taught you better than that.” Reish yells.

“I want to know what really goes on down there. Not everything can be bad! They have things down there that we don’t up here! I want to know what climbing a mountain feels like, not a virtual system with artificial gravity. I want to feel the sun on my face, not just use solar panels to heat the station. Everyday I look out my window and I see Earth. Just sitting there. With Billions of people on it. Human beings, and we’re up here playing God. It’s not fair!” Kaz yells back.

“The privileged have responsibilities Kaz. Now is not the time to go exploring a dangerous place by yourself.”

“Dangerous? What is dangerous about Earth?”

“Archive. The rebel group. We in the council are always threatened by their efforts to destroy Arkacia. Every week we have at least one attack. The most dangerous one is their leader C.J. He’s crafty and sly and untrustworthy. He sends ships full of sick and diseased people that we have to turn away. Other wise we would all be sick.” Reish says.

“But we have IAON, why would we be afraid to get sick? It doesn’t make any sense!” Kaz counters.

“Enough! When you turn 18, you will join the council Kaz. End of discussion. You are dismissed. Head back to your quarters.” Reish walks away, leaving Kaz alone in the empty room.

“Screw that. And screw you.” Kaz says. 



© 2016 Cristalle Kao


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This looks very intriguing so far. I want to see what Kaz does next. I like your very original style. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Cristalle Kao

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
1 Review
Added on April 12, 2016
Last Updated on April 12, 2016
Tags: Dystopian, Teen, Sci-fi, Space, Book, Novel, Chapter, End, of, the, world


Author

Cristalle Kao
Cristalle Kao

Syracuse, NY



About
I love to write my own novels, but don't have many people who I trust to read...I would love input from you guys! more..

Writing
Bullet Bullet

A Story by Cristalle Kao


Red Sand Red Sand

A Story by Cristalle Kao