XV

XV

A Chapter by Dan James

November 9, 2016

1146 Hours

"Jir!" Sanine yelled throughout the building. They stood there at the entrance of the building trying to get a visual. The entrance had a large dome lobby that had five hallways sprouting out. The hallways had no signs to them, so no one could tell what was down each one. It didn't help that the hallways were all connected nevertheless.

Sanine looked behind her at the driver, and eyed him behind her dark sunglasses.

"Stay guard here," She said, deciding what to do with him. The driver nodded, and got out a pistol from his coat pocket. He stood by the door to watch outside.

"Rogers, you take two left, and I'll take two right. Don't turn into any hallways, as they will lead you to other hallways and you will get lost." Rogers nodded, and got out his gun he got from Sanine. He started walking down the first hallway.

Sanine turned around and headed down the hallway she decided to go down. She vaguely remembered where anything in this place was, but she was certain Jir's treasure room was down that hallway. As her high heels clanked down the white barren hallway, she thought about how jealous she was of Jir. She doesn't feel that emotion often, but seeing this building just filled her with envy. She's living her life with two sides. A loving caring mother as one, and a crime boss as the other.

What she really wants, deep down, is to be a crime boss full time and bring the family into it. Knowing her boyfriend though, she wasn't sure if that was the best idea. They can't afford to butt heads on any topic including the crime business, as that would cause inconvenience. In this line of work, one has to be efficient and willing to do whatever it takes. She was afraid he didn't have the latter quality to be a part of what she was.


She did, however, know how one of her kids would feel. In fact, one of her kids already knows, and she doesn't agree at all with what Sanine is doing.

"She just doesn't understand," Sanine said to herself.

She often thought about just resigning. Leaving this stressful life and keeping it calm with her family. However, the money income was too great. Sanine wanted to make sure that her kids have anything they wanted/needed. All of her kids except one. That would only leave her with just one kid to spoil... but that's the one she really cared about.

That, and if she was being truly honest with herself, she would miss this. The adrenaline rush she felt every time she had a mission. It gave her a second purpose to live, and as stressful of a job as this was, she needed that second purpose.

Stopping in front of a door that was painted gold (or it was gold), she smiled. There was a keypad to the right of the golden door, and she inputted a code into it.

10 - 9 - 18

"Self conceited, much." Sanine muttered under her breath as she entered the room.

On the walls were trophy cases that held all types of weapons. Antique and modern guns, swords, daggers, knives, even different types of nunchucks. In the corner, he even had an armor stand with an armor set. It was a soldier's medieval set that sold at auctions for millions of dollars.

Sanine made her way to the wall with swords on them, and opened the trophy case. It was unlocked, and Sanine knew that. It was typical of him to forget to lock things now and then.

She grabbed a sword, a one-handed bronze sword with a weighted handle at the end, and the scabbard that went with it. She swung it around her body with ease.

"This will do," she muttered. Sheathing the sword, she walked out of the room and continued down the white hallways in hopes to find her boss somewhere.


Rogers slowly crept down the hallways, afraid of what was always around the corner. Sanine had it easy because the guards and Jir knew who she was. Rogers didn't have that luxury. If anyone saw him, they would probably shoot him on sight, before he could even explain he was with Sanine. The gun in his hand felt cold and heavy, he never used one. He tended to be more of a physical criminal, and would rather use blunt weapons instead of guns. Lead pipes, tools, knives, bats, etc.

A weird stench reached his nose, and he covered it quickly in response. He wasn't sure what that smell was, but it was atrocious.

"What the hell," Rogers said, trying not to breath in and out a lot. The more he walked down that hallway, the stronger the stench was. A wall was coming up before him, signifying the end of the hallway, but nothing in his field of vision suggested the origin of the smell. There was one hallway leading off to the right that could potentially be the origin, but then he remembered what Sanine said about turning down a hallway and getting lost.

"Guess it's something I'll just tell her when I get back," Rogers said to himself, turning around and walking back to the main lobby at the front. The guard was still watching the front with focused eyes, and his finger over the trigger. Rogers stood there, staring at the guard thoughtfully, deciding whether or not he wanted to flip him off. Thinking it would be funny, he gave the guard a middle finger, and stuck his tongue out.

"These glasses can see behind me, a*****e," the guard noted. Rogers quickly put his finger down, and walked into the second hallway quickly.

What a buzzkill. Rogers thought, too afraid if he spoke the words aloud, the guard would hear him. The hallway he was walking down was a considerably short one, however it had a strange door at the end. It was a metal door with a screen to the left. The screen was red with a lock symbol on it, suggesting the door was locked by someone. Before that, there were two doors to the right and a door to the left. Looking into the right doors, Rogers saw empty concrete rooms with miscellaneous items in there. One didn't have anything, while the other had some rope on the ground, along with a big stand-up light that was turned off.

The room to the left was a control room with a bunch of TV with cameras in them, an uncomfortable looking metal chair, and…

"OH GOD!" Rogers yelled, backing up from the door quickly. Hannah's dead body was in there, with a gunshot in the middle of her head. Her eyes were closed, and she almost seemed peaceful.

The guard at the entrance turned around, staring at Rogers with furrowed, annoyed eyes. The hallway was short enough for each of them to hear each other if they shout.

"What?" The guard shouted. Rogers pointed into the room, then towards his head with a gun motion, then he just put his arms out in exasperation. The guard understood nothing from that, and walked towards Rogers, hoping it was nothing so he could chew him out.

Once he got to the door, and looked inside, he immediately got his walkie talkie out.

"Sanine, you better come to the second hallway NOW! We have a dead body, looks like that Angel guy's sister." The walkie crackled, telling the guard that Sanine got nothing out of his end. "Damn it!" The guard yelled. He ran down the hallway, through the lobby, straight outside to see if he could get better service out there. Rogers stared at the entrance, wondering why the guard just didn't try to go down the hallway Sanine was down.

He looked back at the control room, and walked hesitantly in, trying to forget the body was there altogether. Looking at the cameras, he saw Sanine walking down a hallway looking around as if she was searching for something.

"Is that a f*****g sword?" Rogers asked, noticing the scabbard she donned on her back. Rogers looked away at the other cameras, and then yelled again. There was a hallway with four dead bodies in it. It was two big brutes that looked like guards, a man who was wearing simple clothes, and another man who was decked out in black.

Rogers decided that Sanine need to know about this, now. He ran out of the room, and entered the lobby when he heard an engine running outside.

"Are they leaving me?" Rogers asked aloud, wondering if Sanine and the guard were in their limo. He changed direction, and ran outside instead. The limo was driving away by the time he made it out. Anger was filling Rogers, but then he saw the guard knocked unconscious on the ground. A big rock with a red spot on the corner laid next to him.

Rogers looked from the knocked out guard, to the spot where the limo was, to the building behind him.

"Yeah, okay." Rogers said, not really sure what to think anymore. The radio was still on the guard's body, not touched. He didn't have enough time to radio in onto Sanine.

Rogers picked the radio off the body, and spoke into it. "So a few things have happened. You might wanna meet me in the lobby."


Sanine was walking down towards the end of the hallway until her radio chimed. She immediately picked it up from her side and held it to her ear. The message was so broken up, she could barely hear it.

"Sani... cond hal... ve a de... ooks lik... guy's si..." Sanine sighed in frustration, and talked back into the radio.

"What?" Silence pursued the question, and she just stood there, waiting. After awhile, she knew that the radio's service stopped working. Her legs immediately took her down the hallway from where she came from. Unfortunately, the hallway she went down was one of the longest ones in the building.

After a minute of walking briskly, she got another radio signal. The message was more coherent than the last one.

"So a few thi... ppened. You... eet me... lobby."

Sanine looked ahead of her, and saw the turn that lead the hallway into the lobby. She heard the front door open and close very quickly, followed by fast paced footsteps.

"Rogers!" Sanine yelled as she turned the corner. Rogers turned around, and pointed outside. Then he pointed to the second hallway he went down, then outside again. "Which one?" Sanine asked with little patience.

"Honestly, I have no idea. There's a dead body in that hallway, and a knocked out guard and a car that's not quite there anymore." Sanine immediately went outside and saw the guard on the ground with a swollen head already. The limo was gone, nowhere to be seen. Sanine sighed heavily.

"And where's the dead body?" Sanine asked. Rogers looked behind him, hesitating.

"Okay, well actually, there's a lot of dead bodies. There was one in the surveillance room, and then there's like, four or five in some hallway in the back of the compound." Sanine walked past Rogers back inside, and made her way down the second hallway. Coming to the surveillance room, she saw who was dead on the floor. Hannah Angel. She gulped hard, and looked at the cameras to look for the other dead bodies. She soon found the screen that had all of the dead bodies, including Charlie Angel and Jir.

Jir was dead.

Sanine banged her fists on the table out of frustration. Forget whatever sentimental feeling she may have felt, that was temporary. The company was going to suffer from this. Her family's main income was now gone. Everything she has worked for is now gone. Dr. Hank at H&H could be a new possible boss for Sanine's line of work, but they didn't know each other very well. It would take a month or two to get affiliated and to strike a bargain in secret away from the company, etc.

She could do that, but it won't be the same. She won't have as much fun. Jir dying just made Sanine want to do one thing.


Rogers was waiting in the lobby, calling Hank to come and pick them up when he heard Sanine yelling from the surveillance room.

"What the hell was that?" Hank said on the other side of the phone. Rogers looked behind, and saw the door was open.

"I think she just found that her boss di-"

"THEY ARE DEAD!" Sanine screeched from the room.



© 2017 Dan James


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on September 5, 2017
Last Updated on September 5, 2017
Tags: Murder, Crime, Mystery, Detective


Author

Dan James
Dan James

Huntsville, TX



About
I'm a writer who loves to write about the unexpected things in life. Things is a broad term, but so is life, so that's okay. more..

Writing
Liar, Liar Liar, Liar

A Poem by Dan James


Ignore Ignore

A Poem by Dan James