XX

XX

A Chapter by Dan James

November 16, 2016

1234 Hours

"What's your name?"

"Dan."

"When's your birthday?"

"August 25th, 1981."

"What's your brother's name?"

"James."

"Your daughter's name?"

"Chelsea." The man questioning Dan looked at his co-worker. They both nodded their head, deciding it was okay for Dan to go outside.

"Okay Dan, here's the deal. We're going to let you go tell your speech, and we're going to be keeping a close eye on you. I hope you understand." Dan looked at the man, nodding his head.

"Okay buddy, come here. Let me take those off you." Dan turned around, and the co-worker took off Dan's handcuffs.

"You ready?" The main guy asked. Dan looked away for a second, contemplating.

"Yeah," he said. The door opened, and Dan stepped out of the van. Before him was a funeral service with people getting in their seats. Dan scanned the crowd of people, and saw some he recognized. None of them being his family, but that didn't bother him. One man stood up when he saw Dan, and he waved. It was George.


"Hey man, I heard what happened. I'm so sorry," George said, sitting across Dan. Dan was tied up in a straitjacket to protect people around him.

"Look, George, I don't want your money, okay?" Dan said. George was astonished at this fact.

"Are you sure man? It's a lot," He explained. Dan kept his eyes on the table, not wanting to look anywhere else.

"As long as you feel justice, I've done my job," Dan explained. George nodded.

Man, he's really a nut. George thought, but he shrugged it off. He got to keep the money, that's always good.


Dan nodded in his direction, then started to walk to the podium.

"And now, a few words from the James' brother, Dan." The preacher said. He stepped down as Dan stepped up. He looked over the crowd of people, and was instantly reminded of Chelsea's funeral. He grunted before speaking.

"James... was my brother." Dan looked over, and saw James standing there in the back, smiling at him. Tears formed in Dan's eyes as he continued: "He always knew what to do. What to say. Whenever I mess up, he's there to pick me up. Every time."

Dan looked at the crowd again, not sure if he was going to keep going. He felt himself choking. He had a huge speech prepared, but Dan didn't think he could finish it.

"He was always my better half." Dan said, returning his attention to James. James' smile helped Dan say the last sentence.

"He will always be my better half."


Kathy sat in her cell, staring at the white wall in front of her. She was convicted of enough evidence to put her up for life, including manslaughter. This, she agreed with, but it was for the wrong people. The wrong person.

Tears lined on her eyes as she thought about her life. Everything in her life can go to hell except for her kids. They're the only ones in life she ever truly cared about. So what if she overreacted when Braydon died. Any unconditional parent would. What didn't drive her to insanity was the fact that she knew it wasn't her fault.

Kathy didn't kill her own son.



© 2017 Dan James


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on September 5, 2017
Last Updated on September 5, 2017
Tags: Murder, Crime, Mystery, Detective


Author

Dan James
Dan James

Huntsville, TX



About
I'm a writer who loves to write about the unexpected things in life. Things is a broad term, but so is life, so that's okay. more..

Writing
Liar, Liar Liar, Liar

A Poem by Dan James


Ignore Ignore

A Poem by Dan James