A way towards home (chapter four)

A way towards home (chapter four)

A Chapter by a.c luna

     Richard was sitting in front of his small table in his room thinking and trying to figure out what really happened to Mae during that fire, the information that he got from the old lady was plenty but not enough to answer a single question he has.
''Richard! we're going to the chapel and after that to your cousin's birthday party so come on!'' Richards mother calls him from down stairs.
" I'm not going! i 'm busy so go without me''
Richard was never fond of going to any kind of gathering specially if it involves his family. Ever since he came to this house he just separated himself away from them thus making him an outcast.
''Why not?! Your cousins invited you there.'' his mom said.
''I don't want to go cause it's just a pool filled with arrogant people boasting about what they have.'' Richard always want's to say this but he just chooses to stay quiet but sometimes he shows them how he hates arrogance. 
"Just go i have some school work to finish''
''Fine just lock up after we leave.''
He never spends time with anyone really aside from Noel and Mae. Noel serves like counter point to Richard like whenever someone gives him a hard time Noel comes to his aid or like everyday Noel is the only reason why Richard never pass a day without talking even for a brief moment. Richard never insults or joke with anyone he keeps his distance but Noel will gradually ignore this and just stick to him like glue. Noel knows that even if Richard builds a wall around himself he can't deny anyone who seeks his help cause he has a strong sense of justice and what is right. This attitude of Richard is the only reason why most people are attracted to him but he himself don't notice.
''Why does people go out of their way to bother me don't they have their own lives to attend to?''

Eight thirty is the start of class and break time is at twelve Richard eats alone under a large tree but that was before he met Noel. Noel accompanies him during free time in school and never fails to come up with a topic that Richard can't avoid to join in. The large maple tree was their hang out in school and most commonly the two is always found underneath it during break time.

''So are you excited for this coming Saturday?''
''If your talking about the date then i'll admit that i am a little looking forward to it''
''I would like to come along and see my best friends first date but it's a day just for the two of you and you can use that time to know more about each other.''
''To know more huh..? i guess your right.'' Richard gave off a far away look and Noel noticed it immediately.''
''Even if you don't want to say it i can tell that there is something bothering you. What is it bro?''
Richard shifted his eyes to noel and he knows very well that he is someone he can trust.
''Say do you know something about Mae's father?''
''Well all i know is he is the former owner of that store that Mae now runs but there are rumors so i can't say if what i know is accountable.''
''Can you tell me what rumors those are?''
''Is this going somewhere cause it's very unusual for you to ask about people that you don't know?'' 
''I found a burn scar on Mae's shoulder and when i asked her about where she got it she told me that she don't remember but that kind of scar is unlikely easy to forget.''
"Before i tell you about what i know can you answer my question first?'' Noel's eyes became serious as he gaze on him.
"What is it Noel?''
"Did you notice her scar while having sex or after having sex?'' Richard let out a punch towards Noels navel enough to make him cough.
''Can't you take me seriously?!''
''Hahaha. I'm sorry but i just can't help it you know i'm not fond of deep mysterious talk.''
"Are you gonna tell me or not?!"
''ok ok i'll tell you. From how the rumors goes they say that Mae's parents had an argument before that concerns about Mae herself and there are words that says this argument extended throughout Mae's mothers family side. Sometimes Mae's father would take her along everywhere cause her mom don't have time to take care of her. A lot of people speculate some stories but money problems never entered the issue. Their store provide more than enough income for the family's expenses but still the store was closed down and Mae was taken away by her father. After a few months her father returned to this town but he didn't opened the store and then one day we just found out that he has a severe illness that lead to his death and about her mom no one saw her at the funeral or at the cemetery at least so they thought they were separated and Mae was in  her care but the two of us know that was not the case and now Mae came back to our town and i'm sure you know the rest.''
''An old lady told me last night that Mae was in a fire that almost claimed her life if it wasn't for her father then she may not be with us now and Mae told me that her mom went missing after she got her scar but her father and uncle don't want to talk about it so she didn't persuaded them to tell her. but what puzzles me is where could her mom is cause it's unlikely that she don't care about her daughter now that she is alone and her husband dead. there is more to this story and i want to find out for the sake of Mae and for the sake of my mind.''
''So you want to play little detective for her right?''
''The old lady told me that if someone would know where to find Mae's mom is then it's her family.''
''But you do know that you can't just go to them and say ''Hi i'm Mae's nosy boyfriend that wants to intrude into your family secrets'' right?'' 
''I know that''
'' So how are you planning to find some answers if you can't even get it from the most likely and reliable source?''
''Perhaps there is some one in this town that is close enough to her family to know all the real issues. I know that Mae's father is a sociable person and it's possible that he has close friends here.''
"And your gonna snoop them out? How are you going to find one.?''
"There must be one near the store cause their store is very known in town and a lot of people buys there so they must know Mae's father, all i have to do is to find out who is the store patron.''
''And to find that out you will need to spend even more time in her store more than in your house right?''
''That's the idea.''
''I would just want to ask... What about your mom? She'll be suspicious of you if you don't come home in time..''
''I have way but i think this will drastically change how she knows of me''
''Oh this i have to hear''
''I'm going to introduce Mae to my family''
''Call the pope the end is near!! Are you sure about that cause you never brought a friend in your house aside from me and now your going to show them your girlfriend?''
''Well at least if i'm not home after school they will know i'm spending time with my girl.''
"That is reasonable but how about finding answers? people will ask why your so curious about her family.''
''I know that too but there are ways to gain info without asking too much''
''This little plan you're cooking up kinda makes me feel that i want to join in and be a part of a little puzzle game.''
''You want to help me?''
''Oh yeah. just sitting while watching is not my cup of tea so i'll be your Watson if You want to be Mr Sherlock for Mae but we must keep this to ourselves we don't want some complications now do we?''
''Thanks''
''Hey i'm your best buddy and i'll always have your back bro.''

The next day Richard and Noel went around town gathering some info about Mae's dad and it lead them to a guy named Victor Delavega an old drinking buddy of Mae's dad who also owns a phone repair shop. Richard asked him if he could install some applications to his phone and while it was being upgraded he used the moment to break the ice.
''Aren't you the old friend of the store owner near the highway?''
''Well i am why?''
''I know his daughter actually i'm her boyfriend.''
''Really?! little Mae have a boyfriend? Now that is news. hehe i remember when she was just a baby she always clings to his dad even when were drinking she would sit on his lap and eat peanuts.''
''She does tells me how close she is to her dad but it makes me wonder sometimes why she spends little time with her mom.''
''Well maybe because of the fact that Mae was not really her daughter.''
''What?'' Richard and noel was surprised with what they heard.''
''Oh you don't know? Mae's mom was not her dad's wife cause that guys wife can't provide a child so they hired a baby maker.''
''Is that why her mom doesn't take care of her?''
''I doubt that's the case cause the woman that they hired kept coming back asking for more money and that became a problem so they ended up threatening the woman just to make her stop but it didn't because the issue was found out by their family and it became a trigger that started a lot of problems. They wanted to protect Mae from the scandal so they went away for couple of months but their rest house burned down and Mae's not real mom went missing but her father was not really looking for his wife for some reason though.''
" He didn't looked for his wife but why?''
''Well last time he told me was that his wife was fixing some things up and that she have to leave. The baby maker who is Mae's real mother was never heard of again she vanished right after when Mae's dad came back to town without Mae and his wife but i can assure you that His wife don't ignore Mae, i see her playing with Mae a few times before and the reason why she didn't spend time with Mae was because she's not home.
''I guess she has work then right? Mae is hardworking and she might have picked that trait up from her mom.'' 
''No she don't have any other jobs aside from managing the store. I don't have any idea where she goes but whenever she's out Mae's dad would constantly watch Mae like as if she would disappear if he takes his eyes off of her.''
''Mae is now the one running the store and even though her father left everything to her why does her relatives lets her live alone?''
''The family don't want anything to do with Mae because for them Me is an illegitimate child and whats more they can't accept the fact that her dad left everything to her.''
''Do you have a clue to where to find Mae's mom.?
''If you're talking about the baby maker then i don't know a thing but if you mean her dads wife then you might find some answers to her old work place before her dad met her in the town hall cause she has friends there they may know some places. and your phone is done that will be 2 bucks.''
''Thanks i guess i'll be leaving now.''
''No. Thank you. It's good to know that there is someone who cares about little Mae and i'm sure my friend is happy knowing his daughter has you.'' Mr Victor gave them a small grin like as if he knows what was going on from the beginning.
''Wow. i never saw that coming. Who would have thought that Mae was in that kind of situation.?'' Noel still surprised was looking at his friend.
''We only found a few answers but it's good to know that the mother Mae knew did not hate her after all. but a lot more questions pilled up than i expected.''
''Yup. and this is not some problem that Mae can handle on her own and now i can see why you're going all the way just to help her.''
''Her real mom is a baby maker that extorts more money than what the deal was. If that is how that woman is then shouldn't she pursue Mae now cause Mae did inherit all of her fathers properties and legally speaking that woman has claim on Mae for she is her biological mother and she can get custody of Mae now that she's an orphan, but why haven't she turned up yet?
''Who knows, maybe she was satisfied with the payment that she got and now she's elsewhere doing what she does best and Mae's dad did threaten her as you remember''
''Maybe but we can't say for sure. we need to know what happened before and after the fire and what caused it then we might find more answers.''

Richard and Noel went a separate way after their talk. Richard head out to Mae's store where he was greeted by her by the glass door.
'' Where have you been? i have been waiting for you. I cooked a special dish for you lets go and eat together.
 Richard may have found out a little about his girlfriend but there is still more to know but as time goes by spending time with Mae gives him some joy and Mae's thoughtfulness for him makes him happy in some way. For the first time in his life he started a conversation towards someone that he now considers a special person for him.
''How's your day Mae? 
''Tiring but i sold a lot of things.. i saw some students wearing the same uniform that you have and it made me miss you a little..'' 
Richard smiled for a while upon hearing Mae and Mae caught glimpse of it she saw how refreshingly different Richard is whenever he smiles and she wants to see more cause it's the very first time that Richard smiled.
"You smiled! can you smile again please..?''
''I did not smile. I was chewing my food and that is very different from smiling.''
''I know you smiled and you can't fool me so please smile again..''
''no!''
Mae reached out to Richards lips and stretched it out forcing a smile''
"Will you stop that?!'' Richard holding Mae's hands.
He accidentally pulled Mae and they fell on the floor with Richard underneath Mae. They looked at each other and kissed then Mae rested on his chest and told him how she feels.
''I'm very happy to have come to this town cause i met you Richard''
Richard didn't say a word but he kissed Mae on the top of her head then hugged her. The two of them stayed in that position for sometime.

Noel was going to Mae's store to find Richard and ask him about something when he saw someone standing outside and looking inside the store trying to see who's inside, the person was wearing a thick brown sweater with a cap and has sunglasses on. When Noel walked closer the person standing saw him and ran away, Noel called the person out but it just kept running. Richard and Mae came out of the store and saw Noel they then asked him who was he calling.
"Who was that Noel?'' Richard asked.
"I don't know bro but that looks suspicious.''
Mae looked concerned but Richard held her hand and looked at her in the eyes and it was enough for Mae to feel ok again.
Richard was thinking and worried at the same time for Mae but he's not letting anything or anyone suspicious to get close to Mae.



          Answers can be obtained not only by questions.    


© 2013 a.c luna


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
Added on December 16, 2013
Last Updated on December 17, 2013


Author

a.c luna
a.c luna

calapan, philipines, Philippines



About
nothing special more..

Writing
A God's War A God's War

A Book by a.c luna