21st Century Blues

21st Century Blues

A Poem by Phillip Francis

The tragedy of life is realizing mortality.

Sleepiness nights born of unrealistic expectations, debilitating stress accompanied by clogging processed foods, growing discontent for brothers and sisters, chasing materialistic object after materialistic object that provide opportunity to gloat, demoarlizing community, never lasting, gradually expanding the gap within once gifted souls.

Animals, educated beyond necessity, attempting to invent happiness, bound for self destruction, desiring more... more.... more, an endless quest of self satisfaction, searching for perfection, over flowing bellies continuously empty, howling in the silence of a summers night.

Once vast landscape infested with consumers, handing over control of their minds, deliberately destroying the vessel bestowed, hunting a fantasy of pleasure, never to be fulfilled, fearing the end, when the end is now, ego rules, no more great triumph, no longer one, comradere vanished, no search party sight, to lazy to look, constantly distracted, a caninnes mind, less hair, two legs, no loyalty.

Asleep at the wheel, waiting for the commercial to end, hoping the next song will inspire greatness.

© 2016 Phillip Francis


Author's Note

Phillip Francis
Rough draft, please ignore grammar mistakes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a good commentary. As a rough draft I can see the potential.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I enjoy what you're building here. There is a sense of love and struggle. Life and death. While you the description is sure enough, the emphasis on the message is floating.... right below the surface of the words. waiting for the blues of the century to take hold. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


How true this is, how nicely put. Very good job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


there;s so much truth to this, it makes it beautiful

Posted 7 Years Ago


Phillip Francis

7 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to read my work.
Great title and poem, I can relate for sure.
I used to feel pressure to 'keep up with the Jones', but society and standards have changed so much I find I'm starting to care less. I have dandelions on my front line and I don't really give a damn. This poem could inspire some good rants.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Phillip Francis

7 Years Ago

thank you for taking the time to read my work.
Papaya

7 Years Ago

My pleasure
i agree, we have our eyes closed and are daydreaming into a very blue 21st century...computers are doing too much for us, technology in general..

if only we could shed these electronic clothes and go back to being naked and thinking and doing for ourselves....
there is such a sense of false security in it all...

quite the ride of truth here.

j.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Phillip Francis

7 Years Ago

many thanks for the review Jacob. I appreciate it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2016
Last Updated on June 9, 2016


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..