Balancing act

Balancing act

A Chapter by Dakota Jean
"

im slipping Please help

"
Flash to standing behind the stage curtain. There is an auditorium full of watchful onlookers eager to see my performance. I am doing a balancing act tonight, no dress rehearsals and no script. The interlude starts and the audience claps and cheers awaiting the curtains to open. The piano's tone descends into a mournful but panicked melody as the curtains whisk open and let in a flood of hot stage lighting. I'm standing in center stage and for a fleeting moment I considered running back behind the safety of the curtain. Too late, I'm already here. The pianos tune lifts.I take a sharp breath and begin my act, first sure footed for the opening song. The piano then drops into a minor melody and I slip. There's nothing I can do but finish the act. I'm wobbling all over the balance beam and the audience gasps in alarm as I pull myself right again and again. The pianos tune is dropping once again and I'm not sure if I'm going to make it. I can't run to the safety of backstage, it's full of my peers watching my performance. I look back to them one last time before I take another breath and finish my act.


© 2015 Dakota Jean


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on May 20, 2015
Last Updated on July 2, 2015


Author

Dakota Jean
Dakota Jean

Largo, FL



About
19 year old blue-haired gay being from Florida. Don't be afraid to critique! I find that as the best form of compliment. more..

Writing
Tight rope Tight rope

A Story by Dakota Jean