Leaving the stage

Leaving the stage

A Chapter by Dakota Jean

I can't get off stage. The music just keeps crescendoing faster and faster. The faster the music the faster I go through the motions. I am an actor. I am okay. I slip and fumble - I forgot my character shoes. I look down and notice I forgot my costume too. I was not prepared to be thrown out on stage like this but faster and faster I go. The violins shrill in tremolo as I pose gracefully on one leg for one final pause before I begin the act again. I am 89.2 I think to myself in this pose. I will be 88 again. And the music stops suddenly. I creep down from my pose and just stand on the stage. I look out into the dark crowd, look over every face that I can make out. Friends, family. The music doesn't start up again. But the static does. I mouth "I'm sorry" and back away, to be engulfed in the curtain. I walk backstage and out the back door, into the street. Inside, the music starts up again to an empty stage.


© 2015 Dakota Jean


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on June 7, 2015
Last Updated on July 2, 2015


Author

Dakota Jean
Dakota Jean

Largo, FL



About
19 year old blue-haired gay being from Florida. Don't be afraid to critique! I find that as the best form of compliment. more..

Writing
Tight rope Tight rope

A Story by Dakota Jean