IV. Czech Republic & V. Slovakia

IV. Czech Republic & V. Slovakia

A Poem by Dana Alsamsam
"

From my series "World Vision" in which I address a poem to every destination I've visited. Seemed appropriate to address these two together.

"
IV. Czech Republic
I tilt my head upwards through a gradient
To view your soot covered phantom limbs
Crowned with ancient steeples. 
They're seasoned with wisdom like the dance  
Of the local accordion player's antiquated hands-
Music as easy as breath. He sits on the bridge
And instead of change, Collects stories 
Of tourists enraptured by architecture. 
At night he releases them from the folds
Between musical syllables into the pages
Of a romance novel.
The clock tower chimes. 
The fiddler on the bridge trills. 
The homeless man turns 
His head up to the grey sky, 
And I feel your concrete captivate
My senses like a tiny spearmint
Placed on the tip of my tongue. 
V. Slovakia
I tried to use a Czech Koruna on accident
To pay for my capuccino at Zicco's in Bratislava. 
I must have forgotten the most tragic romance
Of the lovers who are not allowed to love
But must be attached, skin to skin, 
Every freckle aligned, without looking each other
In the eye. They've de-hyphenated their last name
And numbed their welded skin. They adjust smoothly
To the primal loneliness. Velvet Divorce. 

© 2013 Dana Alsamsam


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I took my youth for granted, as we tend to do when there is nothing in front of us but more youth.....rolling on into the distance eternal...and so in false comfort "tomorrow" was my excuse on more than one occasion. Tomorrows have a way of surreptitiously tunneling under us and popping up right in front of us at the strangest times; wearing a new name tag: today. I haven't yet lived half of my life (I hope;), but the years have added responsibility, obligation, redefined what contentment means, what color dress it wears....I have few regrets. I don't put much stock in looking back. But this piece hit me square across the chin. Today. And I remembered: man, I wanted to go there. Was going to go. Tomorrow. Will go - tomorrow. It will be under an entirely different context, but I remembered: I must go.

Thanks for the stark and lovely reminder. There is no explaining how much we grow when we immerse ourselves in other cultures...there is no replacement for that....you have to bury your feet in the soil of other worlds.

Lovely, dear.

CM.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

wow it's an honor that this piece hit you deeply with such brute force. i can only encourage you to .. read more



Reviews

The bit about Czech was fantastic in its depiction of stranger's stories being told by local seasoned musicians in the streets, under concrete monuments. I felt similarly, when I was in Berlin and encountered a saxophonist in the tunnels beneath the Victory Column. As for the Slovakia bit, again a simple mistake written about beautifully, showcasing the sadness of a people disjointed politically, but physically a handshake away, "lonely, divorced".

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much! such is the beauty of wonderful street musicians...some of them are just incredib.. read more
Astro

10 Years Ago

My pleasure.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BL
I'm glad the Czech Republic spilt from Slovakia as Czechoslovakia always came up as a spelling question at school. You have created some great images in this, I am imagining the architecture and the cool beer of course.

I think the Slovakia stanza is more punchy and so more effective and makes its point with calm ease, but the Czech Republic stanza has some great lines in it too with its Geographical references.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

haha very funny observation with the spelling thing! thank you- i'm glad you enjoyed it
I took my youth for granted, as we tend to do when there is nothing in front of us but more youth.....rolling on into the distance eternal...and so in false comfort "tomorrow" was my excuse on more than one occasion. Tomorrows have a way of surreptitiously tunneling under us and popping up right in front of us at the strangest times; wearing a new name tag: today. I haven't yet lived half of my life (I hope;), but the years have added responsibility, obligation, redefined what contentment means, what color dress it wears....I have few regrets. I don't put much stock in looking back. But this piece hit me square across the chin. Today. And I remembered: man, I wanted to go there. Was going to go. Tomorrow. Will go - tomorrow. It will be under an entirely different context, but I remembered: I must go.

Thanks for the stark and lovely reminder. There is no explaining how much we grow when we immerse ourselves in other cultures...there is no replacement for that....you have to bury your feet in the soil of other worlds.

Lovely, dear.

CM.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

wow it's an honor that this piece hit you deeply with such brute force. i can only encourage you to .. read more
You're so lucky to have seen so much of the world and the scores of different environments it offers...I've seen many pics of Prague and Bratislava and you can just see the ties to the past and the respect they have for it...velvet divorce...that's a letter-perfect ending, I couldn't think of a better image to close out this piece...I'm not exactly sure how to explain it but you seem to have a painter's way of looking at things, which translates to the vibrancy of your writing...what more can I say, this is a gorgeous duet of poems that compliment each other perfectly, an ironic reality in itself :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much! i really am incredibly lucky and this series is sort of my thanks to the world fo.. read more
kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

Ah yes, I do remember hearing that term back when the split was taking place...there's something abo.. read more
Another sublime piece of poetry Dana. You are such a wonderful poetess!

Posted 10 Years Ago


A well stated picture of romanticism. The image of the homeless man and the grey sky bring to my mind a slight image of despair.

Posted 10 Years Ago


The first half, the one dedicated to the Czech Republic, is absolutely magical. So many of the images there are steeped in mystique and folklore. You have me from the phantom limbs and the soot covered steeples. Lines 4-8 really got me though. The music of his hands, collecting their stories instead of money...and after those lines, saving them in the pages of a romance novel. All of that is my favorite from you so far. Oh, and there is that delicious detail about the mint at the end. That really capped the magic of the Czech Republic very well.

Then you really brought together why these pieces are connected. You show us the scars of that political divorce in the terms of two divorced lovers. Those last three lines of : Slovakia really described that very well, and tied the two pieces together very well. I also must say, there is a sense that less magic belongs to Slovakia. Almost like the life was sucked out of it in that divorce. It truly seems to miss its other half in this one.

I'm excited to see where in the world you will travel to next!


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much! if you couldn't tell, the czech republic is one of my favorite places that i've e.. read more
the lines are just incredible in the "slovakia" part...

especially the last 4 lines...

you write much like catherine sasanov...a very good friend and poet who lives in Boston...and has published widely.

i love her stuff too.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

i will be sure to take a look at her work! that's a lovely compliment. thank you, jacob!
Clockwork

10 Years Ago

Of your favorites. That is a really interesting detail about the people. And four countries in 10 da.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

348 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 4, 2013
Last Updated on July 4, 2013
Tags: travel, czech republic, slovakia, architecture, music, romance, tourist, metaphor

Author

Dana Alsamsam
Dana Alsamsam

Chicago, IL



About
"my brain hums with scraps of poetry and madness." i dance, write and play violin. i'm studying english and training in dance in chicago. i like spooky things, red lipstick, caffeine, punk/indi.. more..

Writing
mother mother

A Poem by Dana Alsamsam



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..