Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by danceswithhorses
"

It was only supposed to be a routine scouting mission...Corporal James Wilson runs into more than he bargained for.

"

Corporal James Wilson stared up at the silhouette of the castle, outlined clearly against the darkening sky.

It was a dark place, and he closed his eyes against the memories. He hated being in Anthrope. It always put him on edge, and tonight of all nights was no exception.

In just one week Edward Brisban and his family would come here. They would be welcomed into the castle and they would let down their guard for two days. Defenseless and unprotected.

Of course, Edgar was no longer officially the enemy. The peace treaty of nineteen years ago had forged a tenuous bond between the two countries. 

He still thought Edward was less than wise for placing himself in such a position.

The king had told him to take his patrol and make sure all was well here before proceeding to Carsa. James intended to do just that. Harm would not befall the royal family, not so long as he drew a breath.

He shifted his weight. Something wasn’t right. He could feel it.

  Turning slightly, he beckoned to his patrol. Five fresh-faced privates. Youngsters, really. He hoped there would be no fighting here for them tonight.

  Stealing noiselessly around the castle, he moved towards the barracks to ensure all was silent and still there.

  But it wasn’t.

  What he saw caused him to bite back an expletive and melt back into the shadows. Any hope he’d had that they hadn’t been seen was crushed as the shouts began.

James signaled his Patrol, drawing his own sword even though he knew it was useless. Sadness filled him at the thought.

  They were all so young, with so much life ahead of them.

  It was too bad none of them would survive the night.

 



© 2013 danceswithhorses


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

oooooh.mysterious!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
1 Review
Added on March 11, 2013
Last Updated on March 11, 2013