Jurassic World Review

Jurassic World Review

A Story by Danni Jones
"

Rating- Slightly more than time-pass

"

This is my review of the latest addition to the Jurassic Movie franchise the Jurassic World directed by Collin Trevorrow  starring Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard in lead roles.

I will review this movie on its own merit without comparing it with the original much lauded Steven Spielberg dino-fest Jurassic Park (1993), because frankly it has been a long time since I saw that movie and I can't remember much about it to be able to compare them both properly.

On a general note I will say the movie had its moments of thrills, genuine tense action moments and good acting by the charismatic lead Chris Pratt ( a genuine candidate for India Jones) and equally matching Bryce Dallas Howard who holds her own even   if at times the script may seem to favor the male lead more. The other cast too were decent but  the movies real problems start with them because of  how shallow and poorly written they are.

The movie basically follows the journey of two siblings who are sent to the theme park Jurassic World, they are nephews of Claire Dearing (Bryce Dallas) who is the parks operation manager. She has poor relationship with her sister and finds hard to juggle work and family time together, she leave the kids with her assistant. The park has created  a new dinosaur  to attract more audience and keep up the wow factor, as the movie points out brilliantly people are no longer just amazed by the dinosaurs themselves discreetly inferring to the superheroes age .

What follows next is presumable mess up by the staff and the new specie is set loose. Chris Pratt plays a Velicoraptor  expert and trainee who has a bond with raptures and is one of the few guys in the movie who seems to understand power of dinosaurs and basics rules like such strong forces of nature can't be tamed.  Now, mixed up in all this are subplots of corporate greed , family issues and even a very confusing military secret operations angle to all this.    

That's  where  the movie plods, these subplots are very poorly developed and rather than adding meat or substance to the whole monster chase movie, it bogs down the proceeding. For example the kids, they are entertaining till the action with them is moving but whenever the movie pauses to inspect about other issues like family- bond it makes you yawn. The other military aspect of it is too very confusing.

The good things about this movies are the dinosaurs obviously, some of the set pieces are tense and edge of the seat. The over-reliance on CGI does take a bit of realism out especially in close up shots, the finale which was meant to be awe- inspiring gets unintentionally funny due to messy CGI.

Overall though the film has its moment of fun and genuine tension. Those craving for some dinosaurs kicking a*s will be pleased, the moments in which they aren't unfortunately the human characters don't hold up that good. The movie which inspires to be character driven monster movie falls short of its ambition due to messy sub- plots.

The movie is a good summer monster action movie, and as far as the previous year's Godzilla goes its slightly better than it.

 

© 2015 Danni Jones


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on June 13, 2015
Last Updated on June 13, 2015

Author

Danni Jones
Danni Jones

About
A guy assuming he can cook good stories with cooking skills of Walter White. more..

Writing