After Seven Years

After Seven Years

A Story by Dani Eiri
"

David's long-time best friend, Roger, shows up unexpectedly. Unfortunately, David leaves on a business trip and Roger is left all by himself until morning. Roger finds questions but not answers.

"

 

                Loud, evenly-timed knocks break the silence of the early morning air. David sets the newspaper he was reading on the table and stands to answer the door. He unlocks the door and opens the door just a few inches. Upon seeing who is standing at his doorway, he quickly opens the door further, surprised to see the man before him.

 

“Roger? I haven‘t seen you since you left to live in Germany those so many years ago. Come on in, make yourself comfortable.” Roger smiles and gives a stern nod before stepping into the house. As David closes the door behind his guest, he adds, “It’s unfortunate you came to visit me today, I’m leaving on a business trip within an hour.”

 

“Oh, I’ll come back later if you need me to. I will just be staying at a hotel just down the street.”

 

“No no, you’re not a bother at all. You don’t have to stay at a hotel do you? You can stay here if you want. I need someone to watch my house while I’m away anyway. I won’t be back until tomorrow morning. Make yourself feel at home.” Roger sits on the nearest couch and considers David’s words for a moment, “are you sure I’m no trouble?”

 

David nods absolutely, “I am sure.” He turns on his heel to face the room on his right, lifting a finger to point in the direction of the room. “This room here is the kitchen. You can eat whatever you want. If you follow down this hall, the bathroom is the first door on the left. The master bedroom is right across the bathroom. The two doors on either side further down the hall are both guest rooms. You can choose which you’d like to stay in. And you can stay for as long as you need.”

 

Roger nods to show he understands, “thanks, I appreciate it. When do you leave?”

 

“In about thirty minutes. I have to get ready now. We’ll catch up on times when I come back tomorrow morning.”

 

The evening sun is setting, and Roger is lazing around on the couch watching the sports channel, when he hears soft knocks on the door. He sees a woman with long blonde hair, around his age. Upon eye contact with her, she is startled; her blue eyes wide.

 

Roger responds to her reaction quickly, “Sorry, David is out today and won’t be back until tomorrow morning. Is there anything I can help you with in the meantime?”

 

“Y-yes, I am David’s wife, Sherrie.” Roger fills with confusion, for he hadn’t known David was a married man.

 

“Well, I am David’s childhood friend. I apologize, I hadn’t realized David was married.”

 

She nods slightly, reaching into her purse. She pulls out a large wallet and opens it, taking out a picture. Handing it to Roger she softly says, “this picture was taken on our wedding day.”

 

Roger looks at the picture, admiring their happiness, before returning the picture to woman before him.

 

“It would be rude of me to send away David’s wife. In fact, you’re more welcome here than I am. Come inside, I won’t keep you out of your own home.” As he holds the door wide open for her, she smiles as she steps into the house.

 

“I appreciate your kindness, but I don’t live here.”

 

“Oh, why not?”

 

“I’m afraid it’s something that cannot be helped.” After her reply, Roger decides that it must be something personal, and even though his curiosity burns, he doesn’t press any further.

 

“So, how did you meet David?”

 

“We met at college, we both attended for accounting and we had graduated the same year. We fell in love.” She pauses a moment, as if to be reliving the moment, before continuing, “every weekend we would go out on dates. He would send cards and flowers to the office I worked at after graduation. After a few years of dating, he asked me to marry him on the 3rd of June, which is the day we met. He proposed to me at dinner.”

 

“Wow, sounds like an amazing relationship.”

 

“Yes. He changed my life entirely. When I met him, I felt more alive than I have ever felt. Even when everything was wrong, he made everything feel right. I didn’t even know it was possible to cry tears of joy, until I met him. David is truly the love of my life. Soon after we were married, I promised that I would always love him and protect him, even after death.” Roger shifts suddenly in his chair. “I apologize, I shouldn’t be boring you with my past.”

 

Roger shakes his head in dismissal, giving an approving smile. “No, it’s fine. It’s nice listening to your relationship with David. I agree that he is a very nice man, he was always my best friend. I understand why you love him so much.”

 

Many hours pass, Roger and Sherrie talk about each other’s past with David. Reminiscing about the good times and laughing about the silly things they have done. As midnight comes around, Sherrie points out the time.

 

“I’m afraid I must go now Roger. It was a pleasure to meet you.”

 

“Thank you, I hope to see you again soon. It was nice meeting you as well.”

 

“If it’s no bother, could you tell David something for me?”

 

“Oh yeah, just one sec, I’ll grab a pad and a pen. I have horrible memory.” He reaches for his bag, finding his writing pad immediately. After several moments of searching for a pen, Sherrie lightly taps his shoulder. As he looks towards her, she extends her hand to lend him an expensive-looking pink pen.

 

“Thanks. What message would you like for me to leave him?”

 

“Well, it’s very long. Can I just write it instead?” Roger nods and hands the pad and pen to the woman.

 

As Sherrie finished writing the message, she waves goodbye and turns to walk towards the door.

 

“Thank you Roger, please take care.”

 

“Welcome. Thanks, I will. You too.”

 

Sherrie smiles before closing the door behind her. A few moments pass before Roger realizes Sherrie forgot her pen sitting on the notepad. He sprints for the door to return it to her. Looking down both streets, she is nowhere to be seen.

 

David returns home the next morning. During breakfast, Roger brings up last nights’ happenings.

 

“Your wife came to visit last night.”

 

David nearly chokes on his food in surprise, “what?”

 

“Your wife came to visit you, we talked most of the night. She left you message, I wrote it down on a pad. She also forgot her pen, and I tried to give it back to her but she was already gone.”

 

David just stares at Roger as if his best friend has gone completely bonkers. Roger, unaffected by his reactions, continues, “why didn’t you ever tell me you were married?”

 

David shakes his head in dismissal. Roger stands and leaves the room, coming back with the pad and expensive pen. He sets the notepad in front of David, the handwritten note facing up.

 

“Dearest David, I know we haven’t seen each other in a very long time and I am so sorry. I have been watching you and I am so proud of you. Even when everything has gone horribly bad you have stayed strong and you do what is best for you. Please remember that your loving wife will always be there to protect you and help you whenever you need. I love you more than life itself.”

 

Slowly, David looks up from the paper.

“David, is something wrong?”

David, with tears running down his face, looks Roger dead in the eye and says slowly, “she has been dead for 3 years. She died in a car accident.”

© 2013 Dani Eiri


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

290 Views
Added on March 11, 2013
Last Updated on March 11, 2013

Author

Dani Eiri
Dani Eiri

About
17 year old girl with a passion for Iceland and Japan. Knows little 日本語 (Japanese) and Íslenska. LDR with a handsome man living in Ísland. Artist/Author. https://.. more..

Writing