Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 2 the unedited version

Chapter 2 the unedited version

A Chapter by Daniel Pylican
"

the edited version will be up soon

"

Chapter 2

    “Damn it Kieran you better not die on me.” Was all Kieran heard before falling back to the emptiness of darkness.  Slowly opening his eyes, Kieran found himself in a dark room; trying to pull himself up, but couldn’t.  His arms were lifeless like they weren’t part of his body anymore.  Kieran just looked around the room, to find monitors and machines all around him.  Slowly looking down at his arms and hands he found that he had tubes and needles in his arms.  Finally figuring he was probably at the hospital,  when a suddenly look of worry came across his face.  Sudden Knock somewhere in the room made him jump, closing his eyes tightly, Kieran waits for a few moments then opens them.  To find David Sitting on the edge of his bed.
    “Hey you are awake, we were all starting to worry about you.” David said with a sly smile.
Kieran looked at David, and tried to talk, but the words wouldn’t come out of his mouth.  Looking at the table next to him, Kieran tries reaching for a pitcher of water, but is not able to lift his arm up to grab it.  Standing up from the bed, David walked over to the table picking up the pitcher, he pours his friend a cup of water; scooting close to him he helps him drink it and then sets the cup on the table.  Turning back to his friend David bends down and gives him a small hug and then moves back to his seat at the end of the bed.
    “Wh-What happen to me?” Kieran with a croak in his voice.
David gives out a little sigh and looked his friend in his eyes, “Well I remember that I didn’t have any towels in my bathroom.  So I left get you one, and when I got into the front room, we all heard you screaming, by the time we got to the bath room you and slip busting your head on the side of the tub, before slipping under the water.”  David stopped for a breath before continuing.  “We pulled you out, and you seemed Dead, you weren’t breathing so my Dad gave you CPR, after we got you breathing again we rushed you to the hospital.”  Kieran looked at his friend with a look of shock on his face.  “Why can’t I remember any of that?” Kieran asked as he started to sob.  David moved over to his friend wrapping him in a hug letting him cry into his shoulder.
    “It’s going to be ok Kieran, will get through this together.” David said starting to get teary eyes himself.  Another knock at the door made both look up with look of worry.  Running into the room came Kieran’s to little brother Sam and Joe, hurrying over to their brother and gave him a big hug before getting back as Mr. and Mrs. Smith walked into view with their youngest son Tommy.
    “How do you fill Kieran?” Mr. Smith asked sitting down in a chair.
Kieran just sat there taking everything that he had just been told all at once, before he looked up at Mr. Smith. “Not to good, I fill tired and I don’t know why.” Kieran said truthfully.   Mr. Smith looked at the young boy, and then over at his oldest son.
    “David why don’t you take the three younger boys to the cafeteria and get them some ice cream, your mother and I would like to talk to Kieran alone.” Mr. Smith explain.
David listen to his Dad, and looked at Kieran with a smile, “Alright Dad, you want some ice cream Kieran?” David asked.  Kieran shook his head no, nodding David lead the three younger boys out of the room.
    “Alright Kieran, we are really worry about you, and want to know what is going on?” Mrs. Smith said in the sweetest and calmest voice.
Kieran looked at the two and then he turned his head and looked out the window.  “Kieran, please tell us what is wrong, we know something is bothering you or you wouldn’t have came over.” Mr. Smith replied.  Kieran looked away from the window and back at the couple.  Letting out a breath he was holding, he started to tell the two the story of what happen.
    “Well you see, my Mum asked me to watch Joe and Sam, while her and Thomas went out.  I was kind of up set case I was going to talk to David. Anyways I got the two into their baths, when I went to give them their towel I heard the car door shut.”  Kieran looked at the two and then back to the window and started to finish the story.  “I hurry to the window to see if our Mum was back, and when I got their I saw Thomas.”  Just as Kieran was about to finish the sentence the Doctor knocked on the door.
    “Hi, sorry to bother you, I’m Doctor Marshall, and can I talk to you both outside?”
Mrs. Smith looked at Kieran, “We’ll finish this when we get back.”  She said, before following her husband out of the room.  Walking into the hallway, the couple stopped a few feet outside the door.
    “Sorry about this, but are you Kieran’s parents?” Dr. Marshall asked in a serious tone of voice.
    “No we aren’t, we are good friends of the family, we have been trying to get a hold of his Mom and Dad, but they haven’t answer the phone.”
The Doctor looked at the two, and then back down at the papers.  “Well if you aren’t his parents, I’m not liable to tell you what I found.” Dr. Marshall replied stick the clipboard under his right arm.  Mrs. Smith looked the Doctor in the eyes, and the she looked at her husband.  “Is it something serious Doctor?” Mrs. Smith asked.
    “Like I said, I’m not liable to say, unless its to the parents of the one in the hospital, I‘m sorry but I need to go.”  Walking away from the Smith’s, leaving them to try and figure what he had found out about Kieran, they both walked back into the room to finish their conversation,  sitting back down in their chairs they both looked up at Kieran.
    “Kieran will you finish what you were going to say before the doctor came in?” Mr. Smith asked.  With tears, running down his face Kieran finish the last bit of the sentence.
    “I saw Thomas dragging my Mum’s body out of the car, which was cover in blood.”
Not looking either of the Smiths in the eyes, Kieran just kept looking out the window.  Sitting looking at Kieran with horror in there eyes, as if they didn’t want to believe what they just heard. Shaking his head free from thoughts, Mr. Smith quickly got from this chair and was out of the room in a flash.  Mrs. Smith got up and walked over to Kieran wrapping him in a hug letting him sob in her shoulder.  “Shhhhh, it’s going to be ok, he’s not going to hurt you or the twins if that’s what bothering you.”  Mrs. Smith said quietly in Kieran’s ear.  Kieran sobbed like a baby, but slowly looked up at her.  
    “I should have been able to do something, it my fault she’s dead.”  
Pulling away from Kieran, Mrs. Smith looked him straight in the eyes.  “It’s not your fault sweetie, you didn’t have any idea what that man was going to do.”  Resting his head back on her shoulder Kieran slowly started sobbing again, “I’m sorry Mrs. Smith, I’m just really scared.”  Mrs. Smith looked down at him with her beautiful eyes, “I know sweetie, and please call me Jackie.”  A knock on the door, and Mr. Smith appear in the room, honey will you please come out to the hallway with me.  Getting up from the bed, Jackie let Kieran know she would be right back before following her husband out to the hallway again.
    “What did you need to talk to me about?” Dr. Marshall asked curiously.
    “Well if what we just got told is true, Kieran just witness his step-dad murdering his mom.” Mr. Smith replied.
The Doctor’s eyes widen, not sure if he heard right, “Well if that’s the case I’ll need to no social service and get the boys into a care until we can sort this out.”
    “Well can’t they stayed with us?  They have been through at lot specially Kieran and I don’t think splitting him and his brother up in foster care with be the best thing to do.” Jackie said.
    “Well there will be tons of paper work, but I think we should be able to work something out.”
A smile spread across the faces of both of the Smiths, “Oh Doc, I just really, Sara left us as Guardian for the boys, if something were to happen to here, since their real farther lives out of country.”  The Doctor took this in, then rub his chin, “Well if I’m going to tell, you what I found, I’ll need proof that you are the guardians of Kieran’s and his brothers.” Dr. Marshall replied.
    “We’ll have to you later today.”
    “Alright, while he did test on Kieran, we found he has been being abuse over a numbers of times.”
The two looked at the Doctor Dumbstruck at what he just said.  When a voice from behind them brought them back to earth.
    “What do you mean, he’s been abuse?” David asked at the verge of tears.
The Doctor turned and looked to find a teen boy standing there, tears starting to stream down his face.  “Yes, son he’s been abuse of what we think has been two or three years.”
    “Do you know what kind of abuse it was Doctor?” Mr. Smith asked.
    “Yes, it looked like it was mostly physical abuse, but we won’t know if sexual abuse or mental abuse accrue unless Kieran lets us run test on him.”  The Smiths look at each other and nodded their agreement,  “We’ll see if we can get Kieran to let you run them.” Jackie said shaken.  The Doctor smile at the two extending this hand the to shook it, and the Doctor turn and left, The couple exchange looks at each other when a small hand reaches up and touches Jackie on the waist.
    “Mommy, what wrong with brother?”  Tommy asked with sadness in his voice.
Jackie looks up to see her oldest son is sobbing as he stands next to the twins, walking over to him, Jackie hugs David tightly.  “Its ok son, Kieran is fine now, nothing is going to happen to him again.”  Jackie whisper in David’s ear, looking down to notice the twins looking up at them smiling,  Looking up at her husband, she lets out a cough, turning at the sound Mr. Smith smiles at the boys, picking Tommy up in his arms.  Seeing his wife quickly move her hand over the two twins heads and pointing toward the Doctor.  Nodding that he gets what she’s saying Mr. Smith sets his youngest son back down and leaves to go asked the Doctor if they could possibly have the two younger boys check also.
    “Come on you guys, Kieran will probably be happy to see all of you.” Jackie said still hugging her son.  Leading the small group into the room, a nurse passes them with a smile,  Kieran is sitting up eating the evening meal as they walk over to his part of the room, finally noticing another boy has been in the room asleep, who is now awake.  The boy smiles and slowly gives a small wavy,  before turning back to his meal.  Kieran looked up to see the group and smiles a sly smile, “Hey, guys I thought you left.” Kieran said getting his voice back.
    “No sweetie, we didn’t leave and we aren’t either.  One of us will be here with you from now on until you get to come to stay at our house.” Jackie said sitting in the chair with Tommy in her lap.  The twins hurry on to the bed not caring that their brother was eating and give him a double hug.  Hugging the two back, Kieran gently pushes his brothers back and takes the last bite of his sandwich before downing the milk they got him. Laying back, Kieran looks at everyone in the room, when Joe starts to cry.  “What’s wrong Joe?” Kieran asked bring his brother close to him.
    “I thought you have had died.” Joe said sobbing in Kieran’s chest.  In chain reaction started to make Sam and Tommy cry.  Using his left arm, Kieran brought Sam down on his left side scooting Joe to the right side.  “I’m not going anywhere you guys, I’ll be here for you two no matter what.” Kieran said smile down at the two.  But his words went of deaf ears, seeing the two boys had falling asleep wrapped in their brothers arms, bending his head down he gently kisses both of the boys on top of their heads.  Resting his head back, he notice Mr. Smith walking into the room.  “ Hey Honey, the Doctor said we could, and that they could do it tomorrow.”  Jackie looked up at her husband, then back down at her son who was now curled up into a ball asleep in her lap.
    “Honey, why don’t you take the kids home and all of you get some sleep.”
    “No I want to stay with Kieran.” David said protesting.  Looking back at Kieran, David let out a sigh when he saw that his friend had fallen to the depth of sleep also.  “David you can visit more with Kieran, I know what going on with him is bothering you to.”  Mr. Smith said.  Looking at the twins, he motion for David to help pick the two up and take them to the car.  Sliding the boys from under Kieran’s arms the two startle by being move, only to change positions, laying their heads on David’s and Mr. Smith’s shoulder falling right back to sleep.  Pulling his wife aside, Mr. Smith looked her over and then looked into her eyes.  “Honey, my old 38. Special is in my night stand, its load so be care but I want you to put it by you just in case.”  Mr. Smith said.
    “What you mean just in case.” Jackie asked in a weary voice.
    “If what Kieran said is true, Thomas might come after these two, and I called in a favor from a old friend of mine.  Who served on the force with me, he should be here soon.”
Jackie looked at her husband in disbelief, heading for the door, man appear making Jackie jump back.  “Sorry Jackie, did I scare you?” A man voice asked.
    “Damn it Chad you almost gave me a heart-a-attack.” Jackie replied
Mr. Smith walked up and shook his friend’s hand, “Sorry I had to call you on such short notice Chad, but this means a lot to me.”
    “Its ok man, I need to get out of the house anyways, plus it will give Billy someone to play with, he's waiting for us in the lobby.  Anyways we probably should get going, Billy looked like he was about to fall asleep, it was nice talking to you Frank and I’ll see you soon.”  Frank slowly handed Joe over to Chad, let the boy getting back into position, Chad and the other started to leave, Frank watched as his family leave the hospital, knowing they were in good hands with Chad.  He had Trust him with his life when they were partners on the police force, and after he retired they just kept in touched with each other.  Looking down the hall both ways, Frank slowly moved back into the room with Kieran, getting into a seat, kicking his feet up on another chair.  Picking up a book he had found in the gift shop, he started to read until his eye lids came to heavy to keep open and slowly fell to sleep.
 



© 2008 Daniel Pylican


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
Added on July 24, 2008


Author

Daniel Pylican
Daniel Pylican

pima, AZ



About
17 year old male that likes to write stories more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Daniel Pylican


chapter 2 chapter 2

A Chapter by Daniel Pylican