Hot August Nights

Hot August Nights

A Story by Dante Carlisle
"

Short Entry for an Instagram Challenge

"





Hot August Nights


      For once the rain wasn’t a problem. Most nights, Sieren wouldn’t have worked in the rain. Most nights, he wouldn’t have been out at all. The rain was the worst of enemies for people like him. It took an already dangerous job and made it a deathwish.

      But, tonight wasn’t most nights. It was the third week of August, and Hot August Nights was running full throttle. Sieren had spotted what he was looking for. A $5000 price tag wasn’t something to shake his head to. There were so many people in what had, hours before, been an empty lot, that he was lost in the crowd.

      He stopped in front of the one he was told to retrieve and couldn’t hide his appreciation. A ‘73 Trans Am. Detailed to a T, jet black, with only a few glints of chrome that could only be seen from the corner of his eye.

      Sieren didn’t have to pretend to appreciate the car, he did. He would appreciate it even more after sitting in the driver’s seat.

      After a sidelong glance to either side, verifying the owner was nowhere in sight, he found his way into the seat he wanted to be in. The door had been unlocked, and he never had to bother pulling the slimjim from his sleeve.

      The ignition would be trickier, it should have just been a wafer lock, those weren’t difficult to pick, but it was all a matter of whether or not the new owner had gone to enough trouble to switch the ignition. That was where Sieren would get the hell out and leave.

      He crouched in the seat, glancing through the light drizzle of rain at the parked cars all around him. There was something going on nearly four rows over, so no one was around. Cars were revving and running all around him, so chances were one more starting wouldn’t disturb a thing.

      With the tiny camera attached to the ‘glasses’ he wore, he leaned down and flipped the switch to turn on the tiny light.

      “No damn way,” he grinned to himself and turned the key that was left in the ignition.

      He didn’t make the mistake of trying to speed out of there. Nevada wasn’t the kind of place you went speeding in the rain. The roads weren’t prepared for water, and neither were the tires of the cars that drove them.

      Sieren calmly turned into the lane of classic cars. Turned into the exit lane. Turned out of the parking lot.

      And was gone.






Five minutes passed before a voice asked, “Did you seriously just steal my dad’s car?”

© 2020 Dante Carlisle


Author's Note

Dante Carlisle
An interesting possibility for a story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Short, but very interesting write! You may want to make this into a longer story!

Posted 2 Years Ago


I know nothing of the challenge that resulted in your writing this, but it seems you've done well enough. The idea is good, but the writing needs a little editing.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 22, 2020
Last Updated on August 22, 2020

Author

Dante Carlisle
Dante Carlisle

Chesterfield, MO



About
I published my third novel last Christmas. Working on the fourth, but fair warning none of them are connected. So if you're looking for a stand alone novel to read, check out Regret Nothing, Hiding Bl.. more..

Writing
Finally Finally

A Story by Dante Carlisle



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Peaches Peaches

A Poem by Tate Morgan


California California

A Poem by Donna


Why? Why?

A Poem by Tate Morgan