Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Matt Ritch

Karin Koeing looked at the general. He didn't seem to believe her story, but it was true. All of it had happened. A monster had attacked them in Domremy. The general stroked his beard. After several minutes of silence he finally said," very well then". He yelled at the guard to let him in. A young man walked in. From his posture you could tell that he had confidence. He shook hands with the general. 
"My name is Nickolai Conrad, the Vatican sent me here to deal with the issue in Domremy". The general looked some what annoyed. He didn't like how cheerful Nickolai was. He had a feeling that Mr Conrad had an ulterior motive.
 "Karin you're in charge of guiding Nickolai through Domremy. I don't believe your story; so I will have soldiers accompanying you. If something unexpected happens to Conrad you had better hope there are witnesses. 
"Nickolai smiled that wont be necessary the Vatican believes her story, and how could such a pretty girl be a bad person? The general glared at him.
" Don't forget that this pretty girl is a lieutenant. She is one of our finest soldiers. She could easily kill you if she wanted to."After saying that the general left, and Nickolai convinced Karin to travel with him to get something he needed from Aponia Tower.
Karin stood looking up at the menacing building known as Aponia tower. It was the 1st time she had ever been truly afraid. It scared her more than when she'd almost died when she was a child. There was no denying that something was wrong with Aponia Tower. What could a saint like Nickolai possibly want from a place like this? Nickolai turned to face her. Beyond this door there are demons. You don't have to be afraid. They are a lot weaker than the monster you fought before, and I will protect you. She looked away from him. He slowly pushed the door open and entered. Karin hesitated. She entered unable to decide if traveling with him on this side mission was a mistake.
The inside of Aponia Tower looked a lot brighter than the outside, but it still held the same ominous feeling. It was an old building and even a child could tell no one had lived there for a long time. Karin walked into the center of the room while Nickolai examined something. A hand grabbed Karin on the leg.She screamed and freed herself by kicking it.  She drew her sword. A man stood up. As he stepped into the light he revealed that he was no longer human. There was no flesh. He was a bloody skeleton. It took a step closer towards her. Her hands were shaking. She took a deep breath and swung the sword with her eyes closed. The skeleton fell to the ground. His head lay a few feet away from his body.  Nickolai yelled behind you. She turned around. Three of them loomed towards her. She hit the first one, but instead of decapitating it her sword got stuck. She tried to pull it out. One of them hit her and she fell down. Nickolai said something that she didn't understand. A bright flash came from his right hand and the demons collapsed on the floor. 
"Are you alright", he said while helping her up. 
"Yeah. How can they move," .
 He looked at them. "They were possessed by evil spirits. Your sword wont hurt them. that one that you killed...The spirit inside of it will probably attack us again." He pulled her sword out of the body and gave it to her. Then he lead her to a stair case. She followed him up the stairs lost in her own thoughts. 
They were a lot worse than the monster that had attacked her in Domremy. She could feel the hatred from the demons here but all she felt from the one in Domremy was sadness.  Even though it was powerful it hadn't attacked to kill them. When the grenade went off in the church it had saved her from the explosion. She remember opening her eyes and it looking down at her. The monster held her for a few seconds while surveying the destruction that the soldiers had caused. When it was done it dropped her . It left  through the front door and then Karin passed out. When she woke up she was outside of the village. She would have thought it was a dream, but the blood from one of her soldiers was on her uniform. So much trouble came after that. Know one believed what she told them. If the Vatican hadn't stepped in she'd probably be labeled as a lunatic for the rest of her life.  Eight soldiers survived; so its not like she'd be executed for killing her own soldiers.
  Nickolai interrupted her thoughts. "This is it", he said while picking up something off of the table. A roar came from behind them. Karin turned to see the gargoyle charging straight at her. She slashed at it with her sword which was knocked out of her hands. She ran away. It opened its mouth unleashing a beam of dark energy that destroyed the wall in front of her. If that hit her she was dead. 
Nickolai stood in a trance looking at the object he'd picked. He'd obtained it at last the tool that would give him his revenge. The gargoyle roared again. Nickolai sighed he would have to help the guide with another demon. He drew his sword and charged at it from behind. He climbed onto its back  and stabbed it in the shoulder . The demon took a step back its foot no longer pinned down Karin's sword. She grabbed it and slashed the gargoyle in the stomach. It fell on the floor. Nickolai kicked it to see if it was dead. It didn't move but he decided to decapitate it just to make sure.


© 2013 Matt Ritch


Author's Note

Matt Ritch
If anyone could give me tips for writing action scenes that would be really helpful.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, there are quite a few problems with quotation marks, and there seem to be quite a few holes in the story. Other than that, it's pretty good! Action scenes? Well now, let me think ..., lot's of exclamation points when someone is about to maybe die, and probably a lot more description of movement. ... I'm not quite sure how to put it. But to have action scenes, just describe the action! Got it? :) ;) Great job, 4 stars!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Matt Ritch

10 Years Ago

Thank you, and could you tell me where the holes in the story are so I can patch them up. They might.. read more
Calibaster

10 Years Ago

Well, some things are very unclear, like when you brought the vatican into it. That was a surprise. .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
1 Review
Added on July 26, 2013
Last Updated on July 26, 2013