Chapter 5: Enter Agnes

Chapter 5: Enter Agnes

A Chapter by Jessica Fox

           “Mother you are hurt we must find father and brother.” The wolf laid at Elinore’s feet panting heavily, blood matting her beautiful fur. Elinore put her hands on the gaping hole in her mother’s neck; the girl could feel the life slipping away from her mother. She could do something but it was going to put them in a very dangerous situation. Elinore heard the whistles and shouts from the still angry mob, the door opened and she stiffened.

            “Easy child, I’m only bringing some food and something to help your mother’s wound.” The girl was young and she had bright red hair. She wore a nun’s habit, Elinore found the deserted churchyard and managed to drag her failing mother’s wolf form among the tilted headstones. The young girl came out of the church and helped Elinore bring her mother into the groundskeeper’s house. Elinore kept her distance from the young nun, she didn’t trust the girl with the vibrant red hair, she didn’t smell right.

            “I’m sorry but this is my pet, not my mother.” Elinore walled herself off from the woman and narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

            “Child, you do not need to fear me. I know she is your mother, because only a child would have that much concern in her eyes for her mother.” Elinore crossed her thin arms; there was more to this nun than there appeared to be. “Besides my mother has the same illness. Please drink some tea while I tend your mother’s wounds.” Elinore reluctantly let the young woman work on her mother; Rain started pounding on the stones outside, she saw the pained look in her mother’s eyes.

            “Please daughter we have no choice but to trust her. She smells strange but I smell pack on her.” Elizabeth’s thoughts tried to soothe Elinore, she listened to her mother but still kept an eye on the nun. Elinore could usually read people’s thoughts but the thoughts of the nun were muddy and tainted. Not what the inside of a nun’s head should be like, the girl turned towards Elinore and smiled, even that seemed false. There was darkness lurking the woman’s soul and it scared Elinore.

            “Please have some tea you look frigid.” Elinore looked at her mother, the wolf’s amber eyes pleaded with her. Elinore finally gave up, if her mother thought it was safe then it must be. She just couldn’t shake the feeling that something worse than the lynch mob was going to happen. Elinore sniffed at the tea and then sipped it, it was warm, and felt good flowing through her chilled body, it was a little too sweet though. Elinore drank the tea greedily and felt the cup fall from her hand. The room was growing fuzzy and she heard the nun laughing. Elinore stumbled backwards and fell against the stonewall, her limbs felt like rubber and her tongue felt like jelly. She heard her mother whimper and growling, it sounded so far away. The nun came close to Elinore and stared into her eyes, this woman was definitely not what she wanted people to see her as.

            “What are you?” the woman laughed, she took off her bonnet and waves of red hair spilled down her shoulders. She laughed again and clapped her hands with child like glee.

            “Oh don’t worry about that little girl. Although now we can truly be sisters, just call me Agnes.” Agnes twirled around and Elinore felt her eyes grow leaden, if only father were here, he could save them, and Agnes turned back towards Elinore and laughed with glee. “Oh do you really believe your daddy can say you?” Agnes’s eyes went cold and steely all traces of the gleeful rejoicing gone.

            “Oh you did? Well I hope daddy does find us because I look forward to killing him.” Agnes slapped Elinore across the face and the slap rang through the small room. She could feel her mother’s presence fade, Elinore was just a kid, and already life was looking to be cut short. Agnes looked over at Elizabeth and sighed, she turned her attention back to Elinore. “Such a pity about your mom, if I were you sister I would want revenge on those that nearly killed my mother. Oh, I’m sure she may make it through the night but it is so hard to tell. Now sleep sister, tomorrow is a very big day for us. Yes I do believe I like our big happy family.” Agnes stood up and Elinore succumbed to the tainted tea. She didn’t know what tomorrow would bring but she was going to have to heal her mother at least one of them could get away and seek Alastair. Elinore’s leaden limbs were no use to her now, she tried clearing her mind, but it was like swimming upstream against a powerful current. She decided to give up. Astral projections was just not part of the plan tonight, she slipped into a void hoping to get out again.



© 2008 Jessica Fox


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
Added on May 12, 2008


Author

Jessica Fox
Jessica Fox

City of Fallen Angels, NJ



About
Check out my new Booksie Site booksie site The new single Automatic by Tokio Hotel I'm on Twitter, so yeah if you want to follow me just go here to follow my Twitter Please order our new book The.. more..

Writing