When A Hero Is Flesh And Blood

When A Hero Is Flesh And Blood

A Poem by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
"

Something that came to me while hearing the song "Love Is Only Human" by Pam Tillis and Marty Roe

"

   

My natural instinct was to

Rush to your side

Riding in on my white horse

To save your life.

 

A knight in shining armor

Was all you saw

Caught in a dramatic experience

Caused us to fall.

 

Unfortunately the hands of time

Are not a hero’s friend

Exposing the obvious truth

We are human too.

 

The disappointment began as I

Dismounted from my horse

No longer did you look up at me

Like I was larger than life.

 

Then you lost all faith

The day you saw my armor pierced

Forcing you to realize

That I am flesh and blood.

 

Now that I stand against the world

From many misunderstandings

Suddenly I find myself all alone

As you slip back into the shadows.

 

When your illusion fell from grace

So did your feelings for me

For when I was your hero

I was everything

But as a man

I became nothing.

© 2013 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautifully written. You feel the heartache in it. When we find out that the way some people look at us is not as we are, but in their fantasy's they fit us into, it's hurtful. The whole time it's just them trying to fit us into the puzzle they have. Don't take it as rejection tho. It's just sad they can't really look to see people for who they truly are but more absorbed in pleasing themselves. A lot of times it's out of pain that they do it to begin with.
Very exposing and vulnerable piece.
Kelly

Posted 15 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

What a beautiful poem outlining expectations and the impossibility to always meet them. I really like the style you used and how your feelings come across here. I'm saving this to favorites!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is absolutely stunning. I admire your ability to be a man and yet allow yourself to be vulnerable through your writing at the same time.

Women experience the same thing. As soon as we became human, and not this gorgeous creature to be placed upon a false pedestal, the "rush" is over, and most of the time, the relationship too. You expressed this experience perfectly.

It's okay, though. I know you are a romantic optimist, as I am, and the right one for you is just around the corner. I feel it! :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love when you find inspiration such as this my friend as it leads to such beautiful poetry. Your words were wonderful and perfect. Very compelling drew me in right away and found that the story being told from one side was interesting as it allowed my own thoughts of what might be taking place in the background with a couple of key details given to allure your senses to dwell a bit in the idea of his scene taking place and you in a way becoming the character of the story itself. I enjoyed this alot and found refreshing and different. A break away from the norm.


Great Job!!!!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, you can really feel the emotion in this. I love the sharp, subtle edge of hurt you portray. Nice piece!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There is truth to this. When we look up to the people we love, and put them on pedestals, we forget that they are human. We expect them to never get sick, to never be angry, bored, or whatever. They have to be enamoured with us, all the time, no matter what.
And when that fails, its like the rose colored glasses come off, and reality sets in. It happens all the time, and while we should know better, we are still prone to do it.

Very thoughtful, and I thank you for sending it my way.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Too true, how often our love hopes are dashed this way, perhaps we are better off for it overall. One has to wonder why our pettiness as people brings us here so frequently. Well said!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh boy... this one is going to get me started, I can feel it. lol

Expectations. Unfair, unrealistic.. etc. We have them of ourselves and other people. This is the force that drives us to insecurities, feelings of unworthiness and so many other negative and damaging emotions simply because we (or they) didn't meet "expectation". This is found on such a multitude of levels I can't even touch the surface of it, but I believe it to be a huge part of the illnesses infecting society. Oh my.... I can go on and on, but once again ... I'll spare us all. lol

Love yourselves and in turn, love others. One begets the other. I often wonder if it is truly as simple as it seems and we are all making it so difficult and complex... unnecessarily.

Fantastic insight Dale! And the writing is exceptional... :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JC
I really enjoyed the meter of this piece, as well as the fact that it is beautifully written. Such a sad but true subject matter. The last stanza was most gripping.

I wonder about this line "When you illusion fell from grace", I am wondering if your would fit better. Just a thought.

Kudos! JC



Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is why people hate being placed on pedalstols are being seen as larger than life for if that person changes their view of you it is a long fall back down to earth. I see that all the time the line, "I'am looking for my knight in shinning armor" it is a setup for failure for only we can save ourselves from our own doings. What is sad is that when one puts all they are into a relationship and in the end they are left with nothing. They are alone once the champion now the poor lost soul. Beautiful my friend.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I was going to say that I had the perfect song to go with this piece - then I read the info line - lol. This is such a sad piece here; I think sometimes we tend to see people as we wish them to be until reality forces us to drop the fantasy, leaving us disappointed. If we only accepted people as they are to start with - if everyone dropped their masks and allowed themselves to shine through - all that tragedy could be avoided. an excellent write true to the song - which is one of my favs.

laura

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1469 Views
42 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 19, 2008
Last Updated on January 9, 2013

Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing