Not Living In The Grey

Not Living In The Grey

A Poem by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

  

It’s hard to understand why would loved ones

Want to…

 

Tie my dreams to a sinking stone,

Shackle my heart to level land,

Tell my soul the world is flat.

 

Is it a fear…

That their lifetime of thinking inside the box was suffocating.

Or worried what “society” might think.

 

I for one don’t believe in societies rules of gray.

It’s silly really, I mean who decides what is right… what is sane.

 

What if I want to dance in the pouring rain?

Getting a little wet never hurt anybody.

 

I want to fly into a sky that can be any color

I want…

 

To sit upon the rainbow and watch

The ocean wave at me as my dreams

Make a splash

Watch the mountain point with envy

Wanting to climb my heart.

Show every winding road that my soul

Has no dead ends.

 

To think in the box society packs

Is a robotic way of thinking

And I am not programmed that way,

I’d rather have my circuits rust and have some color.

I’d rather let my battery run down and live on solar energy

So I could light the way like the sun to brighten a world of grey.

 

 

© 2009 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Loved this work. Follow your dreams, reach for the brass ring and if you lose at least you tried. Better to have gone over rocky roads with a smile than down smooth lanes with a frown and a heavy heart. Nothing is worse than living within yourself and the soul of dissension that will dwell there if you march to anothers tune. You know the beat of the drum that you want to follow. Needed this reading today. Must have been the hand of fate that steered me in this direction. Keep the gifted pen moving.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

darling.... you just keep getting better!! This piece is really impressive - thought-out, unique, provocative, all of it is just wonderful. in fact, you put in to words what i wish i could have said as eloquently as you! :)
big hugs. and i appreciate the shout-out. you have made me feel better, just by writing this piece.



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the message in this piece! It is hard to break out of society's expectations or family expectations of you. It takes alot of strength sometimes just to be an individual and not to conform.... Living in a world of gray... beeen there.. done it.. sometimes still doing it... :)

A great piece to remind us to look for the color and live life... it allows us to remember that we are alive and here for a reason... :)

Positive ink! :)


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

inspiring piece my friend and i absolutely agree.. social expectations/unwritten rules, are so insignificant and unneccesary. They do nothing but bind our potential.



Tie my dreams to a sinking stone,

Shackle my heart to level land,

Tell my soul the world is flat.



great lines! Wonderful words of truth

Posted 15 Years Ago


Hey. I have to agree with Appollonia that what our love ones attempt to tie us down is for fear of losing us. This fear of the unknown; unfamiliar creates uncertainty for them or within them and they can't handle it. Also, some people just believe that there way is the only right way. Everyone has the right to create their own destiny and without hopes and dreams that can't happen. anyway, you did a great job on this. I absolutely love these lines....

To sit upon the rainbow and watch
The ocean wave at me as my dreams
Make a splash
Watch the mountain point with envy
Wanting to climb my heart.
Show every winding road that my soul
Has no dead ends.

You outdid yourself with these line...the feeling they give is relevent to your message and you expressed them with such vivid imagery.

Excellent piece, Dale



Posted 15 Years Ago


wow that's an amazing piece!!
Great work!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like what you have to say here Dale. I think people mean well when they try to tie us down. At least they think they mean well. Of course meaning well and doing well are two completely different things. I think most of us as creative people had to learn how to break free of family constraints in one way or another. I also love the structure of this poem. I don't know if the words being smaller or larger in places was intended, but it works. I feel the constraints of the box in the lines with smaller words and I feel the burst to freedom with the larger ones. This was a well-written poem.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is a wonderful poem, and I absolutely love it! The images are
so lush a vibrant, so full of life. There are some very strong lines
too..

To sit upon the rainbow and watch

The ocean wave at me as my dreams

Make a splash

Watch the mountain point with envy

Wanting to climb my heart.

Show every winding road that my soul

Has no dead ends

So I could light the way like the sun to brighten a world of grey.

The ending was perfect, and captured the whole essence of the poem.

AD


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I was told once that ppl are like crabs in a barrel. Every time you try to crawl out, they grab at ya and pull you back in. I can't say it's true for everyone but definitely many are that way. We have to decide who is toxic to us- and that's always painful. Your poem really brings all that home. Good job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think loved ones attempt to tie us down for fear of losing us. This is my perception; they think if we dare to venture out into the World that we won't return to them... It's unfortunate because many wonderful moments can be experienced when life is truly lived beyond that grey realm.

I want to fly into a sky that can be any color
I want...

Yes, intelligence and creativity are nurtured with those that live a life of their own choosing.

I like the notion of the soul having no dead end because this indicates energy and intensity within. Perfect format for this wonderful piece. Now, I think I'll go dance in the rain :-) :-)



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

When we strike out on that road of our own choosing, their is so much . . .

of course you know that your words speak to me. I spend too much time trying to fit in. To be normal --whatever that is. Being outside the box is a frightening place to be sometimes.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1536 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 26, 2008
Last Updated on November 8, 2009

Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing