Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by Deborah Iyann
"

Cadeyrn begins to scratch at the surface of Eileen's facade....

"
Cadeyrn's advertising scheme was on the money. I started getting more calls- many from high- profile, normie homeowners. They recommended me to their friends, and their friends recommended me to their friends, and their friends.... By August, I had more work than I could handle.
    I was busy all the time. In fact, I had so much work that Cadeyrn had to take over some of my duties, and I had to give him access to some records I'd previously kept to myself.
    "Eileen." He confronted me one Wednesday as I stopped at the office between appointments. "Your financial records are off."
    "I thought you'd straightened that out," I said, thinking he was referring to the bad check one of our clients had written.
    "No. I mean we have more money than we should."
    The blood must have drained from my face.
    "And we have every month as far back as I could see," he continued. "Would you like to explain that?"
    "I'm busy, Cadeyrn," I said, grabbing the planner out of my desk drawer and turning to leave. "We'll talk later."
    "Why do you look like you've seen a ghost?" He blocked my exit. "I need to know if we're involved in fraudulent activities."
    "It's not fraudulent. Get out of my way, and get out of my mind."
    "Then what is it? Are you padding the accounts with your own money?"
    "You think I can afford to do that? You must never have seen my apartment."
    "Then someone must be giving you money. Why?"
    "Cadeyrn, I'm going to be late for my appointment."
    "Too bad. We really need their money."
    I pushed Cadeyrn out of the way and left.

    I did not return to the office after the appointment. It was 5:30, so I just went home. Somehow, I wasn't surprised to see Cadeyrn there, sitting on my couch, waiting for me.
    "Y'know, your ability to phase through walls is really useful," I said, going to the kitchen. "It saves me having to make you a key."
    He stood up and followed me. "I really hate it when you keep secrets from me."
    "You make it sound like I've done it before." I put a TV dinner in the microwave.
    "Maybe you have." He shrugged. "Maybe you have, and I haven't discovered it yet."
    I turned to face him. "If I were keeping secrets from you in regard to our pseudo- relationship, I would understand your frustration. But this is business."
    "So I'm supposed to trust you in everything except work."
    "No, you're to trust me, period."
    The room was silent until the microwave beeped. I took out the TV dinner and headed to the living room. Again, Cadeyrn blocked my path.
    "What if I told you I already knew?"
    "Wonderful," I said, trying to go around him.
    "I'm giving you one more chance to explain it yourself."
    I squeezed around him.
    Cadeyrn stared at me. "You're supposed to let that cool."
    I sat on the couch and turned on the TV.
    "That's steaming. Isn't your hand burning?"
    "I appreciate your concern."
    He stood in front of the TV.
    I said, "But a TV dinner is so much less effective without the TV."
    "Trust me. What I've got is far more entertaining than your reality shows."
    "Fine. Entertain me."
    He smirked. "You work for the Brotherhood."
    This time, I was able to hide my alarm much better- my face retained its usual cappuccino color. "Why would you think that?"
    "One: You get regular payments from somewhere, and everyone knows that the Brotherhood sponsors some local businesses. Two: The payments don't show up on your account reports, so it's got to be someone high up on the food chain. Three: Your office is in the Brotherhood building, and your 'concerned friend' Kenton works on one of the Brotherhood floors, and has access to fake Brotherhood IDs."
    "None of that means anything."
    "I think it does." He sat next to me.
    "Then you're mistaken."
    "Eileen, why don't you just admit it? I'm not going to tell anyone.... I'm not exactly in a position to go ratting out people."
    "There's nothing to rat out," I said. "The Brotherhood sponsors my interior design business."
    "There. Now it's out. But why keep it a secret?"
    I took a bite of my dinner. It tasted sour.
    "There must be something else."
    I sighed. "Why is it bothering you so much, Cadeyrn?"
    He didn't answer. Neither of us brought it up for the rest of the night.
    
    Astaire was busy the next Friday morning, so I used that time to visit my parents. I hadn't seen them in a while. "Hey there, angel," Daddy said, hugging me. "Business is booming, eh?"
    "Yep," I answered. "How are you, Daddy?"
    "I'm wonderful, angel. I'm glad you're well."
    "Hello, Eileen," Mama said. "Have you come for breakfast?"
    "Hi, Mama," I said. "I've been really busy, and this is the only time I could come."
    "Astaire must be busy today," Daddy speculated.    
    "You look wonderful," Mama said to me. "When do we get to meet him?"
    "Mama-"
    "Jolanda, let the woman have some privacy," Daddy said. "She is a grown woman, after all."
    "Thank you, Daddy."
    "Fine, then. I'll just go up to your office and see for myself."
    "Jolanda...."
    "It is the secretary- man, isn't it?"
    "Mama!"
    "She's just joking, 'Leen. Right, Jolanda?"    
     "Right." Mama smiled sweetly.
    "Tell Mama about your recent successes," Daddy suggested.
    "She can tell me over breakfast," Mama responded. "How is it that you always end up here just before a meal? Do you have some sort of food radar? Is that an ability of yours?"
    I laughed. "Could be, Mama."

    I went to work later, as usual. When Mai came, I said, "From now on, if you see my mother, father, or anyone else possibly related to me, you tell them I am not here. Clear?"
    "Explicit," Mai replied.


© 2009 Deborah Iyann


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on December 26, 2009
Last Updated on December 26, 2009


Author

Deborah Iyann
Deborah Iyann

About
I'm a recent college graduate, alternatively known as Rayne, Melisma, Jaime, and some others, depending on who you ask. Most of my writing falls under the loose heading of "fantasy," but I've also wri.. more..

Writing
prologue prologue

A Chapter by Deborah Iyann


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Deborah Iyann