Chapter 15

Chapter 15

A Chapter by Deborah Iyann
"

An old debt is called in.

"
The next day, I was called to Aaron's office.
    Aaron didn't greet me with a hug like he usually did. "Hello, Eileen."
    "What's going on?" I asked.
    Astaire closed the door behind me. "You wanted me to explain your vision to you."
    Aaron gestured at a chair before him. "Have a seat."
    I sat. Aaron began, "Eileen, you know that you owe the Brotherhood a few favors."
    I nodded slowly.
    "The President, Jonathan Embers, is in danger. We have reason to believe that if we don't take action, he will be dead by the end of this year."
    I asked, "What's the favor?"
    Aaron looked at Astaire, who sat at the edge of Aaron's desk, a foot propped up against an arm of my chair. "We need someone to protect him," Aaron continued, "someone who can get close enough to him to have him covered in all aspects of his life. That someone has to be you."
    I snorted. "That's your brilliant idea?"
    "You can use the training Astaire has been giving you," Aaron said. "And Astaire will be with you. You'll get all of your instructions from him."
    "So you're turning me into the Brotherhood's personal kung-fu robot."
    "Eileen," Astaire said, and I noticed a bit of softness in his voice, "we wouldn't put you in a precarious position unless we had full faith in you."
    I sighed. "I can't just get up and go play Secret Service. I have a life here."
    "You won't," Aaron replied. "We're going to use your self-replication ability. You will be undercover in Washington, and your copy will be here in New Orleans, living your life as normal."
    "I don't like this," I complained.
    Astaire said in the same tone as before, "Eileen, we haven't asked you what you think of this."
    I folded my arms. "Undercover? As what?"
    Aaron glanced at Astaire again, but Astaire was looking attentively at me. Aaron finally answered, "As Jonathan's future wife."
    I felt a strong urge to leave. "No."
    Aaron began, "Eileen-"
    "You won't be forced to do anything," Astaire said. "Just keep up appearances."
    "What does 'keep up appearances' include?"
    "Anything Astaire and I tell you to do."
    Astaire glanced at Aaron. "Nothing in bad taste."
    The room was silent.
    Aaron again: "Eileen-"
    "Fine. When do I leave?"
    "Tomorrow."
    "Tomorrow? Why so soon?"
    "We can't risk anyone finding us out," Aaron answered. "We need to get moving now."
    "Whatever. Are we finished?"
    "Be here tomorrow at 9 AM sharp."
    Astaire held the door open for me, and we left. In the elevator, he said, "You're going to tell him, but it'll be fine."
    "Thanks," I said, relieved.
    "I come in handy, don't I?" he remarked. "Like a pocket fortune teller."
    Something in Astaire's voice wasn't quite right, and I fully expected to get another a*s-kicking. But he didn't move or say anything more, and I made it to my floor in one piece.

    I told Cadeyrn about the Brotherhood's arrangements that night. I finished my tale with, "I'm sorry."
    He shook his head. "I feel like I just found you and I'm losing you again."
    "You're not losing me. I'll still be here."
    "But it won't really be you."
    I sighed. "No, it won't. I'm sorry."
    "Just make me proud." He held me and kissed me. And then we made love, as if it were for the last time, as if we would never see each other again.

    I was at Aaron's office at 9 AM the next day. Somehow, though, only Eugene was there. "Come in, Eileen."
    I entered warily, unsure whether he was in on the Washington plot. "Good morning, Eugene."
    "Good morning. Have a seat- I'd like to speak to you."
    Again, I sat obediently.
    "Eileen, I doubt that you understand the nature of what you're getting into."
    "Yes," I replied. "It has all been explained to me."
    "Don't limit me to the Washington deal."
    I frowned.
    "I'm sure you're confident in Aaron and Astaire. Aren't you?"
    I stood up for Astaire, if not Aaron. "Yes."
    "Hmmph." Eugene towered above me, his arms folded across his broad chest. "If you learn nothing else from me, remember this: Nothing here is what it seems, and no one here is who he claims to be."
    Inwardly, I shivered, but I managed to keep a straight enough face that Eugene examined my expression and nodded.
    "Best of luck to you out there," he intoned. "The Brotherhood will be counting on you."
    He left as Aaron and Astaire entered.
    "Ready?" Aaron asked me.
    "Ready as ever." I sighed and shrugged. "Let's get this over with."


© 2011 Deborah Iyann


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on June 10, 2011
Last Updated on June 10, 2011


Author

Deborah Iyann
Deborah Iyann

About
I'm a recent college graduate, alternatively known as Rayne, Melisma, Jaime, and some others, depending on who you ask. Most of my writing falls under the loose heading of "fantasy," but I've also wri.. more..

Writing
prologue prologue

A Chapter by Deborah Iyann


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Deborah Iyann