Heavy

Heavy

A Story by Baby Ricochet
"

Squatting 315 pounds for twelve reps with a low bench

"


I'm sitting on a low, steel bench in front of a squat rack with Even Flow by Pearl Jam blasting in my ears. There's a skinny Latino lad on the squat rack next to me, his body language revealing his self conscious determination. It's Saturday and the gym is practically empty. A great day to train legs.
I stare up at the Olympic bar with the six 45 pound plates I slid on after doing three sets of light warmup squats at 20 reps each. Lots of 45 pound plates on a bar always seem to mock me. It's as if they're whispering insults daring me to push them around. The Latino kid next to me racks his bar with 135 on it and glances over at me to see if I've done anything yet. Big dogs pounding heavy weight is always a curiosity at gyms. It's part inspiration and part "that dude's mucho loco." Out of habit I adjust my knee wraps. I need to be reassured they're tight. I stand up, put my weight belt on, take a step towards the bar and take a deep breath.
"Clear your head Mark."
I get under the bar, find the spot behind my traps where it likes to rest, find the bar's balance and lift it off the rack. I take a step back so I'm over the low bench and start my descent. My a*s hits the bench and I push myself back up through my quads, glutes and hamstrings. My abs and back tighten under the strain. One, two, three, four, five. I can feel my abdomen expanding as if it's trying to blow my weight belt off and that familiar ache in my lower back as I push off the low bench to a standing position. Six, seven, eight, nine. My quads are screaming under the strain, my face is beet red and the veins in my neck look like cables under my skin. 10. I'm grunting, practically screaming with that 315 pound bar across my shoulders pushing up from that bench with everything I have. 11. I can barely stand up, I'm close to failure, the place muscles grow.12. I'm done. I stand still for a moment to reorient myself, take a step forward and carefully rack the weight. My legs feel like steel Jello. I'm breathing so hard my lats are flaring with every breath and I can feel my pulse pounding in my head. The Latino kid had been watching me do the set.
"That's some heavy weight" he says.
I can't talk at the moment so I just smile and nod in agreement. I wait two minutes and do the same thing again. Same weight, same number of reps for a total of 5 sets reps 12,12,10,8,6. I'm well satisfied but not completely as I am aiming for 5 sets of 12 reps throughout the routine. Never be to satisfied in life. It leads to stagnation.
With squats out of the way I do the rest of my leg work out. Leg press, Straight leg dead lifts and leg extentions. Another glorious leg workout completed and it was awesome.
So if you're wondering why I subject myself to this 4 times a week the answer is simple. I f*****g love bodybuilding. The only thing I love more than bodybuilding is sex and both are physical forms of self expression a man with heavy Aries energy such as myself is a natural for. I'm a firm believer in finding positive outlets for the archetypal forces that pulsate through us and bodybuilding and Aries are a match made in heaven.

© 2013 Baby Ricochet


Author's Note

Baby Ricochet
I don't have much practice in writing stories like I do poetry so if you read this thank you and I hope it was okay.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Doing heavy squats always makes me want to puke. Nice write

Posted 11 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

11 Years Ago

Been there. Thanks for stopping by Steven. It's always a pleasure.
Great work my friend :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

11 Years Ago

Thank you Vikran
This was more than OK - this is a well-written essay, a personal narrative that read smoothly. You gave some excellent figures of speech, pertinent details, and some good life lessons: "Never be too satisfied... it leads to stagnation."

Teacher mode: a few spelling errors. "reassuranced" should be "reassured"
"beat red" should be "beet red" (as in "as red as a beet)
"flairing" should be "flaring"; also, be careful with too vs. to

None of these take away from this great piece!


Posted 11 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

11 Years Ago

Thank you Rita. I'm glad you enjoyed it ans I'll correct the spelling errors.
This seems more like a journal entry than it does a story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

11 Years Ago

That crossed my mind as I was writing it. Thanks for stopping by Jupiter.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
SSB
It was an enjoyable read as I'm doing some workout myself (nothing compared to what you're talking about here though...). I can feel your passion in the words. Writing and physical work are two complementary ways of self-expression and they help us to keep balance. I love what you said about "finding positive outlets for the archetypal forces that pulsate through us". I believe that's how you write great stories - by putting real life force in it. Looking forward to more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

11 Years Ago

Thank you Lora
your poems are awesome and even your short stories are great :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

11 Years Ago

Thank you Divyanshu
Divyanshu Kachhap

11 Years Ago

welcome :)
Fantastic imagery keep it up don't limit yourself to just poems because as we can all see you have the skill and potential for more

Posted 11 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

11 Years Ago

Thank you Ankara
I thought you used to write poems only (because you do them brilliantly). And when it comes to the story writing, you seem even better! Wonderful read! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

11 Years Ago

Thank you Shivam
Shivam Murari

11 Years Ago

:)
Pearl Jam for the f*****g win :) truly a descendant of the God of War himself :)
Was a motivating read, thanks for the share BR

Posted 11 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

11 Years Ago

Thank you Keegan

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

591 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 19, 2013
Last Updated on May 19, 2013

Author

Baby Ricochet
Baby Ricochet

Tampa, FL



About
I write just for the hell of it A way to spend some time Blurting out in cyber space Whatever's on my mind Maybe funny maybe tragic Emotional and raw Politi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..