A Beautiful Society

A Beautiful Society

A Poem by demureminds

Spoon-fed labels of being too ugly, too fat, too worthless, too not-good-enough

Little boys and little girls 

tousled hair and ribboned curls 

learn that there is only one 

beautiful

And now, society…

They flinch and they cringe at the thought of these words

At the thought of the words they knew would hurt

At the counter motive of a smaller society 

stretching to idolize the labels who are “fat” while demeaning the labels of “thin”

No they don’t teach that beautiful is you and beautiful is me,

They teach that beautiful is this or that

It is skinny or it is fat

Because the larger society holds the liability of etching obscurity into the souls of our century, selecting the weak and feeding them insecurity.

To fix a society

so filled with prejudice

so convinced of their convictions

is an unfixable society

Because society is you and society is me and we need to see that beauty lies within. 

© 2012 demureminds


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

We shouldn't attach 'Labels' to anyone. Yet, sad but true, all societies do to one extent or another. In our society, as well as many others, we tend not to get past someone or something's outward appearance before judgement is placed. We all hear and see such things each and everyday of our existence.... "Oh, would you just LOOK at all that metal in his face! Such a punk!"..., or,... "Es-cargo! You mean SNAILS? I'm not eating that, it looks awful!" ...
If you simply talked to the guy with all of that metal in his face, you may find out that he's really not such a bad sort after all, once you get to know him. And if you can get past the fact that Es-cargo is a snail, you might find that it's truly quite remarkable and delicious really.
Quite a thought provoking read you've managed to put on display here for us all to read and ponder over. I appreciate that!

Posted 11 Years Ago


demureminds

11 Years Ago

That is exactly how I feel every time I hear something like that. And thanks for your feedback!
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Dean Kuch®

11 Years Ago

You are more than welcome. It's a very well written piece...
I fully agree with the poet and Coyote about their point of view.
The so-called society tries to impose ids own standard at different times.
"No they don’t teach that beautiful is you and beautiful is me"
Hence it is necessary to speak out against this folly or injustice.
Things may change according to the aspiration and taste of the individuals.

Posted 11 Years Ago


demureminds

11 Years Ago

Thank you again for all your reviews!
zainul

11 Years Ago

I feel enriched by the intellectual discourse.
You are most welcome.
"To fix a society
so filled with prejudice
so convinced of their convictions
is an unfixable society"
I enjoyed this poem. I like how you think. I believe we can change thoughts and minds. Will take years. I did like the ending. A very true statement. Thank you for the thoughts provoking poetry. A outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


demureminds

11 Years Ago

Thank you for your feedback, and I agree.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 6, 2012
Last Updated on July 6, 2012
Tags: society, expectations, labels, poetry

Author

demureminds
demureminds

San Diego, CA



About
20. California, US. Student: Bio Major. Coffee Enthusiast. Occasional writer. Read if you please. more..

Writing
a1one a1one

A Poem by demureminds



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Today. Today.

A Poem by LittleLover