Emily

Emily

A Story by Diana Owen Busy with Life BBS!
"

This was a writing exersize I was doing in a group. the object was that some one gave you the first few words and you had to build a story off of those words, you could not change anything or correct it after you wrote it. this is just one of about eight

"

#1 - Emily by Diana
“Can’t you just imagine it?” I asked. Spinning around in a circle I love this house. The spacious living area was wall-to-wall carpet and the tall bay windows allowed the light to spill in casting iridescent colors across the room.. I ran up to my husband and threw my arms around his neck. “Can’t you just imagine living in this house, raising babies and growing old.” He shrugged his shoulders, but I knew he loved it just as much as I did. “This is it.” I told the realtor, the older man turned his pleased smile saying great choice, but his eyes were saying cha-ching. I didn’t care. This was the house, I was going to live in for the rest of my life, I just knew it. “Great.” He said, “lets go get the papers drawn up, lets see if we can have you sleeping in this home by the end of the month.” He turned to lead the way out. Ken grabbed my hand and we turn to walk out the door. I felt a sudden chill down my spine and turn to see if we might have left the window open. “Gabby?” my husband asked. I shook it off, must have been my imagination.
True to the realtor’s words, we were in the house by the end of the month. The house was cluttered with boxes and misplaced furniture. I sat on the floor and unpacked the various boxes that Ken had brought in from the moving truck. I pulled out my wedding picture where Ken had been kneeling on the floor holding my hand, while my white wedding dress blew slightly in the wind. I loved this picture. I stared at it lovingly. I can’t believe that just three months ago Ken and I posed for this picture on our wedding day, and now we own this beautiful home where we will raise our family and grow old together. I felt a sudden chill run down my spine again. “It’s a pretty picture.” I heard a whimsical voice. I looked around expecting to see a child, possibly one from the neighborhood. No one was there. Maybe the child was hiding. “Hello?” I said, looking around the pile of couch cushions. “You can come out.” I coaxed. “Whom are you talking to.” Ken asked coming in carrying a box in one hand, a clock in the other and a lampshade on his head. I couldn’t help but suppress a giggle. He looked at me as if I had lost my mind, maybe I have. “ I thought I heard a child.” I told him. “Really?” he said putting the box and clock down. He looked around. I don’t see any. I shrugged my shoulder and walked up to Ken popping the lampshade off of his head and placing a lingering kiss on his lips. He grabbed my waist and pulled me closer, crushing his lips to mine. “Mmm. You taste good.” He commented. I licked my lips still tasting the cinnamon donuts. Reluctantly I pushed back from him, last time he casually kissed me on the way through, we ended up breaking in the stairs, the living room floor and the kitchen, putting us three hours behind. “Ah.” He complained. “Not now.” I tsked. “We’ve got thing to do.” I bent down and picked up another box, while he turned dragging his feet to get another load. I stood in the doorway watching his back. “You love him, don’t you?” I heard the voice again. Nodding, I turn toward the voice. “Yes I do.” I said, spotting a little girl dressed in an old worn pair of Pajama’s clutching an just as worn teddy bear. “Who are you?” I asked the little girl. She peered in to one of the open boxes, “I’m Emily.” I watched the little girl walk around the room looking through my stuff, I should have been a little disturbed, but I wasn’t. “Where do you live?” I asked. “Here.” She said. “Where do you think I live?” Ken said, coming up behind me and nuzzling my neck. I leaned in to him feeling his lips on my neck, and then I remember the little eyes watching. “Ken don’t, there is little eyes watching.” He looked up quickly scanning the room for little eyes. “Huh?” I pointed to where the little girl stood. “This is Em…. where did she go?” She was gone. “She was just here a few seconds ago.”
“I didn’t see any one.” Ken stared at me with a worried look.
“She was just here.” I said perturbed that he might think I was crazy.
He pulled me in his arms kissing me tenderly..” Well maybe I scared her away.” I accepted his excuse tucking myself into his embrace. Yeah of course, he must have scared her away when he came in, I kept telling myself, He scared her, and I am not crazy.
I walked through the door with two bags of groceries in my arms; I stopped appreciating the sight that met me. Home… I still couldn’t believe it. This was my new life. We finally finish unpack and decorating, and Ken had gone back to work, and I had set up my writing room in the upstairs bedroom next to ours. I smiled as I remembered how Ken and I broke in that room too. Everything was going great. I hadn’t seen Emily since that day. I checked out the neighborhood hoping to spot the little girl, but never seen her. I put the groceries on the counter and started taking them out of the bag. I usually ate pretty healthy but today I splurged as I pulled out the Chunky Monkey Ice cream. I thought about putting some right then in a bowl but fought the urge and put it in the freezer. “I like Ice Cream.” I heard the little voice again. I jumped startled to see the little girl sitting on one of the barstools. “Oh god, Emily.” I breathed. “you scared me.” The little girl blushed. “I am sorry.”
“Do you want some Ice Cream?” I asked.
The little girl looked sad. She shook her head. “I can’t have ice cream.”
“Oh right.” I said. “You might ruin your supper.”
It was then I noticed the little girl was dressed in her pajamas again. “You know Emily.” I told her. “It isn’t nice to come in to some one’s house uninvited.”
She gave me a questioning look. “Does your mommy know you are here?” I asked.
She shook her head. “My mommy is gone.”
“Oh, well what about your daddy, I am sure he will be upset to know you are over a strangers house in your PJs.” She again shook her head. “My daddy is gone too.”
I sadness passed from her to me. Her parents must have passed away. I felt awful for her. She must have been no more than seven. “Where do you live?” I questioned her.
“I live here.” She told me. “No really Emily, where do you live. I live here.” She bunched her little fist up. “I live here.” She insisted. I was getting frustrated with the little girl; I didn’t like this little joke. “Emily.” I try to act stern. “This is my house. I just bought this house; you know you can’t live here too. Don’t you think I would have seen you living in this house?” She kept shaking her head. “You only see me when I want you to.” Now she was scaring me. “This isn’t funny Emily.” I told her. “Maybe you should go home.” I pointed toward the door. “I am home.” She pushed. Exasperated I blew out air. I came around to where Emily sat. “Listen sweetie. I don’t like games, let me help you.” I tried. I push the hair off my forehead. “who lives with you honey.” Emily appeared to be getting just as frustrated. “YOU!” she said between clinch teeth. Something occurred to me, she never said her parents died. “Emily…. What happen to your parents?” I asked. “They left.” She told me. “Where did they go? I pushed. She dropped her gaze to the floor. “I dunno.” She said lifting her tear filled eyes up toward mine. “After the accident, mommy couldn’t bear to be in this house.” I gulped the fear down. “What accident?” I feared the answer.
“Mine.” She said. “I didn’t mean to.” Her tearful eyes tortured me. “I only wanted to see if I could.”
“What did you do Emily.” “
I just wanted to see if I could slide down the banister, I seen it on T.v. It didn’t look that hard, but it didn’t work and I fell off.” I held my heart. This couldn’t be, putting my fingers to my lips I was afraid to ask. “Did you die?” Hoping I was wrong. She nodded her head. Oh my god. I thought Emily was a ghost. I bought a haunted house, my dreams turned to a nightmare in one instant.
Emily stared at me from innocent eyes. “I am sorry I scared you.” She told me. “It’s just…” she stopped. “It’s just what?” I pushed.
“It’s just that… I have been lonely since Mommy and daddy left. The other couples that lived in this house, they weren’t good for me, and when I saw you… I just knew you would be right.”
“Right for what?”
“You and Ken you would be right for my new mommy and daddy.” I closed my eyes. This little lonely girl…ghost girl, longed for parents. I smiled at her. “Emily, Of course I will be your mommy I told her.” The fear disappearing replaced by love for a little girl named Emily.

© 2008 Diana Owen Busy with Life BBS!


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

very nice

Posted 16 Years Ago


i like this story, it has a very sweet ending.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2008

Author

Diana Owen Busy with Life BBS!
Diana Owen Busy with Life BBS!

FL



About
I am a 36 year old married female.. My passion is to write. My genre is mostly in paranormal, paranormal romances and fantasy fiction. I have three wonderful children (Danyale 19- Josh 16 and Kymb.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..





Build your author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars