Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Donald Peters

Alexis pulled out the last item from her moving box. It was a picture of her with her mother. She sat on the floor and just stared at. There were two knocks at the door and her father walked in.

“How do you like your new room?” he asked.

“It’ okay, but I miss my old one,”she answered.

Her father, Isaac, saw the picture she was holding and walked over and sat behind her. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her back into his lap. He put his chin down on her shoulder and she leaned her head up against his.

“You look a lot like her,” he said in a calming voice.

“I can’t remember her.”

“She passed away when you were still an infant. I’d be surprised if you remembered anything from back then.”

“What’s an infant?”

“An infant is like a baby that is only a few days to a year old.”

“Oh, what am I now.”

“You’d be about one year past preschool age.”

Alexis became silent, and the two of them sat there for awhile just staring at the picture and then he kissed her on the head and stood up.

“I’m still unpacking in the kitchen if you want to help.” He offered.

”Okay,” she answered.

She followed him out of the room and down the stairs. When he reached the last step he stopped. His eyes grew wider and his gaze became fixated towards the front door. Immediately afterwards, the sound of screeching tires broke the silence followed by the sound of a hard collision. Isaac looked back at Alexis and demanded she go to her room. He raced out the front door to the sight of a car with its front end severely dented and of a boy lying on the road. The driver was frozen by the accident. He looked around frantically searching for something and then became fixated on the boy. He raced over to him. The boy was lying on the ground shaking.

“Are you okay?” Isaac asked.

The boy didn’t answer. Isaac looked closely at him and then picked the black hair, blue eyed boy up from underneath the boy’s arms. He looked him up and down and then stared into eyes. A small smile found its way onto Isaac’s face. He put the boy onto his hip and carried him over to the car. The man in the car scattered to roll down his window as Isaac approached.

“Don’t worry he’s okay, just a little startled,” Isaac said to the driver.

“Are are you sure? I was going pretty fast. It seemed like a hard collision,” the driver stated nervously.

“Yeah he’s fine. You must have been going a lot slower than you thought. I’ll tell you what, I know his parents and I’ll let them know what happened, but no harm done. It was a lucky break, in a way. You should take your car over to a garage. There’s one about ten miles down the road. They’re pretty fair with repairs.”

The driver looked like he was at a loss for words. He looked at the boy and then back at Isaac. Isaac gave him a stern glance.

“I think it would be best if you left now,” Isaac stated.

“Uh um okay, if you say so mister,” the driver replied.

He started the car and it made some odd noises. Isaac backed away with the boy. The driver drove off while the engine sounded like it was going to break down at any moment. Isaac walked back into his house. His curious daughter was waiting for him at the bottom of the stairs.

“Daddy, is he okay? He landed really far away from the car,” Alexis stated.

“You never went to your room, did you?”

Alexis looked down in guilt, but Isaac wasn’t angry.

“He’s fine. Look closely Alexis.”

She looked up at him. His clothes were ruffled and dirty, but there wasn’t a scratch on him.


© 2015 Donald Peters


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think that you need to use better punctuation. Where it said: "Is he okay daddy. He landed really far away from the car." I think it should have said: "Is he okay, daddy?"

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Donald Peters

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the suggestion. The original way it was did sound odd.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
1 Review
Added on July 28, 2015
Last Updated on July 29, 2015


Author

Donald Peters
Donald Peters

Writing
Epigraph Epigraph

A Chapter by Donald Peters


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Donald Peters


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Donald Peters