Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Doibugu
"

The Fall of Man through different eyes.

"

                Shards of pearl lay about his feet, jagged and smoking in the ever present light.   A wave of grief and shame washed over him as he took them in.  The gate had been whole moments before, shining and white and seeming to glow with some ethereal power, but he was so…angry.  So angry.  It had risen in him, risen up and then out, rushing before him like a wave of black, twisting fire.  The rage had collided with the gate which, not having been constructed to withstand any attack let alone such an onslaught, had cracked and shattered. 

                He hesitated as the shame grew stronger, nearly quenching his rage.  The grief rose nearly as strong as the anger had before and he fell to his knees among the wreckage.  Slowly, he placed his hands on the cobbles of the street and they seemed to stop just short of touching the golden surface as though each stone had it’s own protective barrier to keep it from being sullied.  Sullied by him.  The grief grew to a crescendo and a tear fell from his eye splashing on the thick, illusory glass that coated each stone.  He couldn’t remember having ever cried, up until the gathering.

His head hung low between his shoulders until he was nearly prostrate.  He could turn back.  This wasn’t so bad; such things had been forgiven before.  Perhaps not exactly such things, but forgiveness ran as steadily from the throne as did the river that flowed from beneath it.  He would understand, somehow.  He would forgive.  And if he wouldn’t forgive, well, there were places to go.  He didn’t need to be here.

“What are you doing?”

He didn’t look up at the voice, though startled.  He’d not heard any steps.  “I am…reflecting.”

“Is this the time?”  The voice paused and now he did look up, into the eyes of his friend, eyes that held nothing of grief or shame.  Eyes full of caution, perhaps, but no regretHe stood tall, taller than any other, his silver and ruby studded armor, once the envy of all, now dented and covered with blood that seemed to catch the light and throw it back in glittering patterns.  He held a large staff thicker than his wrist loosely in both hands at his waist, it’s ends splintered and gouged and covered with the same shimmering stains. Iron ferrules on one end remained, but the blade on the other had been torn off, either by some shield or body that lay behind them.   Blonde hair streaked with white, and now that awful red, framed a beatific face and full lips that pursed before he continued. “I didn’t think the gates could be destroyed.  At least that there would be someone to defend them, or even that he’d have come himself.  The streets are empty.”

“Perhaps they fear.” He said.

                “Fear is not something any of us know well.  Though I confess, after watching you-“

                “He won’t allow us much time.  They will be on us soon”,   He interrupted.  He needed no reminding of what he had done.  The gates had stood as long as any of them could remember, beautiful and shining.  He’d commissioned them himself, twelve in all, each carved from a single pearl.  The shavings were worked into intricate scrolling along each bar; not a ounce cut was not used to add even more beauty.  The one he had destroyed had been the most glorious of all, the very gate from which the king himself entered and exited.  Such beauty.  Such purity. 

His friend belatedly understood his grief and spoke, ever so gently, “Oh beloved!  This had to be done.”  Such grace flowed from his friends words he could have nearly wept, but the words grew harder as he continued until he was nearly shouting.  The pearlescent shards vibrated with his sentiment and his blue eyes faded to grey as they lifted into the air.  “You said yourself not so long ago that it is not us who will have abandoned him.  He left us.  He chose them.”  The shards fell to the ground in a tinkling spray.

Them.  The word rang through the still air and as quickly as it had risen, his grief drained away, leaving a cold cavern burned into his heart by his earlier wrath.  He stood, brushing  dust from his bare knees and then wiped his hands on his short tunic.  His fingers found the pommel of a sword he had crafted himself and he gripped it, knuckle-white.  The weapon was as beautiful, in it’s own way, as the gates or the cobblestones, or any of the buildings that loomed on either side of the street.  The graceful lines of the handle swooped into a curling, blackened gold guard and the blade extended nearly to the ground, straight until the end where it flared into a wide point.  He had tried to make it all golden and shining as had been taught, but the color defied him and seemed to snap back to an odd blackish color whenever he withdrew his will from the metal.  It was strange, but a small curiosity in the face of it all.

He met his friends eyes and his friend flinched.  He wondered what the other saw when he looked at him, to start so.  “Let us continue.”  He didn’t need to let his power infuse the words; his friend would have followed him anywhere.  Had.

                They walked side by side down the street, and he smiled grimly as he heard more footsteps behind him.  Many more.  He didn’t need to look back to know who had followed.  He could feel them each well enough, though that ability seemed to be diminished.  Each of the thousands of others behind his back seemed to give him some measure of strength, though in truth none near to his own might, or even that of his friend.  It was the solidarity of purpose that pushed him on, that pushed the remaining doubt from his mind.  Such a feeling had been missing for far too long, since their mission had been completed and the king had called them home.

                The wide road led to the center of the city, still a long way off.  He had expected some resistance if they made it this far at all, and the quiet was troubling.  Empty buildings stared accusingly down at the long column and they walked on, ignoring the shame, embracing the quiet.  Once or twice, his friend would begin to say something, perhaps troubled as he himself had been.  Each time, though, no word was uttered and on they marched, the crossroads passing one by one, the buildings growing only taller and more beautifully appointed.   Soon, they were in the heart of the city, the great meeting halls capped in shining gold domes.  The Gardens took up much of this area, trees stretching higher than one could believe possible, their amber bark glistening with dew and sap.  The gentle rasp of innumerable leaves waving in the light breeze would have been immeasurably comforting, on another day. 

                The library loomed on the left, great amethyst columns supporting a multi-hued roof.  There were no walls on the building and each shelf was visible, packed full of loose sheets of paper, available to all.  He, just like everyone, had spent years beneath the roof, studying the universe as well as they could from the city, absorbing the words of the king himself.  Such knowledge and wisdom.  “Leave that building standing.  No matter what.”  He didn’t speak to any one in particular, and never noticed as the order passed down the column in a ripple.  There may have been value in destroying the building to deprive the enemy should their march end badly, though none made a move to raise that objection; they had seen him destroy so many and witness the falling of the gate, and none dared risk his anger.

                Then, there it was.  Great columns spired upwards, higher than even the trees, and everywhere crystal windows gleamed.  Gold and silver filigree covered every surface, woven so intricately one could barely see the white stone until they were near enough to touch it and each block of the palace held a story written in gold and silver, from the cornerstone to the utmost parapet.  It was a work millennia in the making and had no equal in all the universe.  In any universe.  A grey stone wall protected the palace, unadorned save for crystalline spikes running along its apex.  Unlike the gate, it’s purpose seemed much more defensive. 

“That wasn’t there earlier.”  His friend sounded slightly uneasy.

“No.  I suppose it was too much to ask that he would go quietly.”

“Indeed.  Well, we may as well begin.” His friend punctuated his sentence by hefting  his own weapon.  He grimaced in disgust at the splintered end and held it close to his lips.  He whispered the words to craft a new tip, from pearl by the sound of it, perhaps to scorn that materials symbolism.  His brow narrowed as nothing happened, and then his eyes widened as shadows tore themselves from the corners of nearby buildings and coalesced at the end of the spear.   In a moment, they evaporated leaving behind a jagged blade of glittering obsidian.  Their eyes met, both filled with shock and his friend opened his mouth to speak.  “What�"“

“Stop!”  The word exploded from behind the wall, rattling the windows of nearby buildings and setting the street to shaking.  A hole appeared in the imposing edifice and someone stepped out, tall and covered head to toe in glistening armor.  Diamonds studded a simple wooden sheild in a pattern reminiscent of the night sky and wherever light touched them, they shined like small suns. 

In spite of this warrior and his obvious power, he and his friend  continued on, eyes locking with those of the armored man as he drew his blade.  He didn’t look back, but heard the footsteps of the army at his back slow, then stop.

“Stop!”  This time the word seemed a physical thing, and he felt the power of it crash against his body and tug at him like a river’s current.  His friend gasped and sagged before abruptly shaking himself and standing upright.  Behind them, he could hear bodies falling to the golden streets as the weaker among them were overcome.  Again, he began to walk forward.

The man shouted again, nearly a scream, but now his anger was back and he met the power with a cry of his own and snarled as it parted before him.   His friend was thrown backward though, spear barely in hand, all of his might as nothing before the word of the armored man.  The others still standing were brushed back like twigs before a flood, the weakest hurled against buildings with sickening crunches.

He gathered himself as the armored man drew in a deep breath.  Power, raw and brilliant, seemed to gather about that shining shield.  Not the man’s power, that.  No, it was anothers .  By it’s brilliance  it belonged to one of the Three, though until it was released there would be no way to know which. Curiosity would only see him killed, however, so rather than waiting, he leapt forward through the air.  His blade pulled smoothly from it’s sheathe and he brought it down with all his strength, bellowing and letting his wrath gather along the edge.   The armored man raised the shield and it grew until it was large enough to cover the mans entire body.  With a flash of darkness, blade bit into wood.  Bellow grew to a roar, louder than when he had broken the gate, so loud he almost thought it was the cry of the Void itself.  Then a crack, so deafening it drowned out his shout.  He felt himself thrown back by a wave of power, immense yet somehow gentle.  He knew then, from that familiar caress, who had crafted the shield; only one would have that kind of power and yet use it so softly.  The Word, he thought as he landed smoothly on his feet. 

His eyes found those of the armored man, now wide and afraid, and he found that he knew that one, as well.  He spoke to his friend.  “Of all of us, they send the Herald to stand against me.  It’s no wonder they gifted him a shelter such as that. I don’t know if they intend to insult us or test us.”

Bel  coughed as he walked closer.   Even more blood seeped down his hair now, this time his own.   Bel El was high among them, but even one such as him did not witness such a clash without showing some strain.  “Knowing him, that was almost definitely a test. “

His eyes fell to the now broken shield.  Two halves cleaved neatly in two rested on either side of the Herald.  The diamonds were scattered about his armored feet, ordinary now they were spent of their investiture.   “Agreed.  He tests my resolve,” he muttered.

“Our, my friend.  He tests our resolve.”

“Did I not say that?”  Without waiting for an answer, he glanced back to his army reforming behind him.  He frowned in disgust; even more losses, as if the first clash hadn’t weakened them enough.  They’d begun with a third of all the forces and lost nearly a quarter in that first push.  The few words of power used by the Herald had only killed a few unlucky soldiers who’d slammed against walls or trees, but his was a power was not meant to kill.  Those words hadn’t hurt much physically, not like what others could do, but they had weakened them.  He sensed in each warrior a new and renewed sense of despair, of quiet, a need to just…stop.  No, he would not allow it. 

“Forward!”  He was getting tired now, doing so much so quickly.  It was a new sensation.  Before, he could do works that required far beyond what he’d used today  but now,  each time he let power infuse his voice, he felt as though a piece of himself was being used up.  Another oddity, perhaps more pressing than the first few , especially if the battle stretched on.  Even so, he let his power enter the word and nodded as each man seemed to straighten and began marching.  Such manipulations were the Heralds greatest asset, but he was not the only one of them who could do such things.  He raised his sword again, and charged.

                Rather than meeting him with his own blade however, the Herald  leapt up and back over the wall.  He didn’t slow his charge and slammed against the large blocks with his shoulder.  The rage blew the stones apart nearly as easily as it had the gates and the armored man, not having had enough time to move away, was struck squarely on the chest.  He was thrown backwards and crashed against the wall of the castle itself and slid down the wall, crumpling into a pile.  The Herald weakly raised his head as he approached and spoke so softly, it was necessary to lean in order to hear.  “What is wrong with you, brother?  What has done this to you?  Even your might, it is…twisted.”

Twisted?  The man must have injured something in his head.  “What is wrong with me, Gabriel?”  He asked incredulously.  “I would ask the same of you.  He places those we watched crawl from the waters above us?  He plans to offer them communion.”  The word sounded like a curse in his mouth.  “Communion!  He does all of this and then asks us to kneel before him again, so that he can make us as servants to those…things!”  He was shouting now and likely sounded half-mad.  No matter, it would be good for his followers, his army, to hear the passion.  “And you, who should be among the greatest, will abase yourself?”  He lowered his voice to a whisper and now Gabriel tilted his head forward in an effort to hear.  “You were his beloved, brother, and he throws you aside.  Join us, Gabriel.  Join me.  We will show him our true worth.”

Gabriel, the Messenger and Herald of the King, hesitated.  His voice wavered.  “I…”  he coughed slightly as his crushed chest began to heal, as all his wounds would before long.  “I…cannot, brother.”  His voice steadied and he pulled himself to a sit, back resting against a scene of some early creation, worked in gold and silver thread.  “I will not.  These that follow you have not realized, have they?  That from our making, we were set beneath another.”

“What-“

“You, you great lout.”  Gabrieal laughed the words out softly.  “They never realized, he always loved you greatest.  I and the others remaining made our peace with that eons ago.  He can do as he wishes, can love as he will.  Even the smallest of attentions from him is worthy of our eternal service.  I am blessed enough simply to speak his words. “

“Fool.  You believe in eternal service, yet-“

“And does he have  words for you…”  A voice boomed from Gabriel but it was no longer his voice that spoke.  It was something elder, something terrifying in it’s immensity.  “You who have defied me.  You who have set yourselves against my will.  You who craft weapons to slay and craft words to corrupt.    You will go no further.”

They all moved away from Gabriel of their own accord as he stood, or was raised up; it was difficult to ascertain.  Power emanated from him.  His eyes blazed with the fires of creation, his mouth flashed like lightning with each syllable.  The king would not come out, then, but gift his power to this…servant!

 “This is how you deliver your reasoning to me?  Your excuses?”  He spat the words. Tears filled his eyes and spilled out, blazing hot wet tracks down his cheeks.  “Through him?” 

“Who is this, who obscures my plans with words without knowledge?  Brace yourself like a man for I will question you, and you will answer me.”

“How dare you?”  The tears came more quickly now and his voice was ragged.  Power seeped into his words unbidden.  “How could you?  Meet me here!  Look into my eyes and tell me!” 

“You, who laid the Earths foundation, who shut up the sea behind doors, who ordered the morning and watched the universe begin.  You, of such great power and worthy of such love.”  He had never heard the kings voice sound so…angrily derisive.  “Tell me, oh thou Prince of the Powers of Air and Darkness, Lord of the Morning, thou Shining Star!”  The words boomed and as one, the army fell to it’s knees as Gabriel was lifted high, eyes closed, and an immeasurable presence poured from him in a flood.

Grief welled in him so strongly he barely registered the wails and howls of the army at his back. If he could have looked away, he’d have seen Bel El fall prostrate with hands clasped.  He wanted to shout back, to answer the king.  To explain, to apologize, to beg forgiveness. 

Them.  The word snaked into his mind and resonated, grew louder and louder, drowning out the voice of the king.  No.  No, he wouldn’t beg.  He wouldn’t face the King and his court on bended knee.  It was an effort, the greatest struggle thusfar, but he raised his head to look into Gabriels eyes, eyes that were no longer his but twin suns.  Slowly, so slowly, he gathered his will and stood.   Just one word.  If he could say just one word he could release his power, release his influence, perhaps drive the will of the king back long enough to marshal his army again, to raise them up.  His mouth opened but no sound would form, his power on the edge of being released but held back by the prescense eminating from Gabriels body.  Again he tried, choking, gagging.  He gripped his swords hilt with one hand as the other clutched at his heart, fingers digging into the metal of his breastplate as though it were made of clay.

Gabriels eyes seemed to focus on him and his blank expression melted into one of sadness.  No, not sadness; pity.  The sight galvanized him and he drew a deep and ragged breath.  “No…”  It was a pitiful effort, a small pale thing compared to the power he faced, but he infused the word with all the will he could muster.  It pressed against that terrible force, pressed against it and pushed.  It was like moving a boulder the size of the world.  He strained against it, fists clenched and veins bulging.  As sweat began to pour down his brow, stinging his eyes, his vision swam and he felt himself sway.  He was too great, the king, even working through this proxy. 

It was a losing contest, there was no doubt, and if he kept up the effort much longer it would be his last.  The king had chosen them, though.  At least in death he wouldn’t be asked to kneel and his death would wound the king deeply, if he did indeed love him as he said.  Drew evermore on his strength and heaved.  The Kings will inched away from him, slowly at first then in a great recession and he pitched forward, no longer pushing against anything at all.  He knew he hadn’t won so much as the King had simply withdrawn his presence.  They had known each other long enough to determine why. 

The Ruler of All had shown a part of his glory, muted through a surrogate but still sufficient to reveal the scope of his power, of his love.  In that moment, He had offered a chance at redemption.  It was as close as the King had ever come to overwhelming their choice in the matter and He had been resisted.  It was that which made him relent, that act of defiance to the offer. 

“Very well.”  Gabriel’s voice became his own as he was gently lowered to the ground.  The massive golden doors at his back swung outward.  “The King bids thee enter.  Come.”

Lucifer, the Light of the Star and Prince of the Powers of the Air, Named Chosen of the King, sheathed his sword and started up the wide, golden steps.

 

 

 

 

  



© 2016 Doibugu


Author's Note

Doibugu
This is rough, and I intend to polish it off as time goes by, so technical errors can be overlooked for now. I just want to know if it's compelling enough that I ought continue. Thank you for your time!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is brilliant. I suspected it was Heaven through your incredible and beautiful descriptions, but I was still guessing at a lot of things until the end. I love that the people's power is in their words and the many references you made to the Bible and other accounts of Heaven.
You were very good at giving slight hints to keep us interested and guessing. I am not going to lie, when I saw how long your story was I planned on reading the first three paragraphs and then leaving, but it was so interesting it kept me reading!
Your description was honestly phenomenal, and your idea was very creative. One thing to watch out for is repeating words. You said the word wall several times within one paragraph, enough that I was a little bored with it. Other than that, great work. I would like to see more of this! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Doibugu

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading! I'm about to take a 6 month hiatus and hopefully expand this into a .. read more



Reviews

This was a very interesting read. I loved your descriptions. It was easy to figure out what was going on thanks to them which is very important. I thought it was a very clever idea and am interested to see where you go with it. You are obviously a skilled writer and it's impressive to see someone come up with such an original idea. Overall, this was great.

Posted 7 Years Ago


This is brilliant. I suspected it was Heaven through your incredible and beautiful descriptions, but I was still guessing at a lot of things until the end. I love that the people's power is in their words and the many references you made to the Bible and other accounts of Heaven.
You were very good at giving slight hints to keep us interested and guessing. I am not going to lie, when I saw how long your story was I planned on reading the first three paragraphs and then leaving, but it was so interesting it kept me reading!
Your description was honestly phenomenal, and your idea was very creative. One thing to watch out for is repeating words. You said the word wall several times within one paragraph, enough that I was a little bored with it. Other than that, great work. I would like to see more of this! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Doibugu

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading! I'm about to take a 6 month hiatus and hopefully expand this into a .. read more
First of all, the blue ink was a shock to come upon, it is kind of hard on the eyes, but it inspires interest; so I suppose that's a win!

Though you are retelling a biblical story, this piece still has an air of originality. I was intrigued all the way through.

I assumed the narrator had to be Lucifer, and I suppose one would have had to have knowledge of the bible to know that, but it was not obvious until around the middle; which I appreciated. There was an air of mystery that keeps the readers interest.

I also appreciated your imagery. I love an author who harbors the talent of description. (which isn't as common as one would think)

I just wanted to say that I came upon your page due to your thread in the Write=Reviews group and I am glad you "begged" us to read your chapter. It was well worth it and I look forward to reading the continuation of this series and any other pieces you submit. I hope you'll return the favor in kind. Ta ta for now.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Doibugu

8 Years Ago

To my knowledge, you are the first person to have ever read anything I've written, so I'm relieved a.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 29, 2016
Last Updated on March 29, 2016
Tags: fantasy novel, god, satan, heaven, hell, drama, christian


Author

Doibugu
Doibugu

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Doibugu


Prologue Prologue

A Book by Doibugu



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Preamble Preamble

A Chapter by Maria Lopes