DT 08 "What Happened ?"

DT 08 "What Happened ?"

A Chapter by dw817
"

Margot said, "This happened one other time and met with disaster." "The Fire Girl." I nodded, remember the photo from the office I was in earlier. "Yes. The director asked too much of her. (more)

"

PRESS CTRL = (EQUALS) TO INCREASE THE PAGE SIZE AND CTRL 0 (ZERO) TO RESET THE PAGE SIZE

   DOUBLE TROUBLE   
  


Want to read this in a different language ?
Change the TO field to your own country and after going
HERE





D O U B L E   T R O U B L E
(When one is not enough ...)

© August 2016 Written by David Wicker
Please do not reprint without permission



  CHAPTER 8 - "What Happened ?"
* * *

This chapter is Rated: EVERYONE


I had only just blinked my eyes but when I could see again, I was somehow back in my room in bed. My clothes were removed, all except my underwear.


While I didn't like Margot especially well, I had hoped it was her that undressed me for bed. I really didn't know anyone else here - and ultimately at this point, I didn't want to.


That is - except for Dollface. I liked how she stood up for me when the other veteran teens here started to lay into me.


I looked up and saw the strange chandelier again, but this time I knew it was not just lights but a camera. Someone watching me sleep. That kind of creeped me out a bit.


I started to get out of bed when suddenly it felt like I was falling down the stairs.


THUMP !


That was the sound of my head hitting the floor. I looked up at once expecting the lights to kick on and a voice again to ask if I was alright. But that didn't happen this time. I got up carefully this time fully realizing my head was dizzy from the drug they gave me earlier.


Then I went over to the computer and hit SPACEBAR. It lit up with some kind of screen-saver active and a clock in the corner. If I was reading it correctly, it was past 3am.


And - I couldn't keep my eyes open. I crawled back in bed and fell asleep almost at once.


I heard birds chirping and the sounds of children playing. Somehow I was now at a park and everyone was having a picnic, playing with frizbees and tossing balls back and forth.


I heard the faint sound of squeaks which could only be swing sets. I tried to get up and open my eyes but I couldn't.


Then I heard polite laughter. Someone kicked at one of my feet. Then whispering. Then I was awake, only the sounds at the park had to have been a dream as I was back in bed.


Faint light emitted from one window. I got up, only staggering a little now. And went to pull back the blinds. Perhaps then I could see where I was.


But it would not happen. Past the blinds was this ginormous plastic light fixture that spanned to touch the ceiling. Faint sounds of birds and the wind rustling emitted from placed speakers.


I truly was nowhere near a park, nor did I have any idea where I was at all.


I got up to try and work the computer. The screensaver was active again. I hit another key and it said, "Password ?"


I sighed, apparently they weren't ready for me to use the computer yet. I went to an intercom and hit a button.


A pleasant voice answered. "Yes ?"


"Breakfast ?" I asked.


"Client # 4762. You are cleared for breakfast. Please standby."


With that the intercom clicked off. I hit the button again but this time there was no response.


So, I went back to look at the arcade games. They were still there running through their silent courses of demos encouraging kids to put a quarter in. And of course I didn't have to as they were rigged for free play.


I had just finished a round of DEFENDER when there was a pleasant chime at my door.


It was Margot and she was carrying a wide tray.


"Stand clear of the door please !" she said all business-like. But I was nowhere near the door. I guess she had to say that each time.


* * *


Without waiting for me to respond, she put the card hurriedly in the slot. There was a chime of acceptance and the door opened.


"Breakfast as requested." she said with a smile to me.


"I can't work the computer." I told her.


"Oh ?" she set down my breakfast. There was a wide tray over the top so I lifted it and steam wafted out.


On the tray was all kinds of good things. Pancakes, syrup, scrambled eggs, shredded cheese in a plastic cup, sausage, bacon, French toast, cream of wheat, two biscuits, gravy in a cup, orange juice, milk, cream in a silver cup, and 3 strawberries on a coaster.


"Looks good." she said. She didn't have to tell me. I was actually quite hungry after the ordeal in the demonstration room.


I set down to eat it. She watched me for a moment. I guess some kids even tried to attack the staff. I didn't though, and dived into the eggs putting the shredded cheese on top.


Seeing I wasn't going to be a problem, she went to the computer. Then typed out while she spoke, "The password is secret."


"What is it then ?" I asked her.


"It's secret."


I gave her a look like that didn't make sense. "Nono." she added, "It's SECRET, S E C R E T. Bit of a joke really. Anyways, you now have access."


"What happened ?" I asked her.


She immediately knew from the tone of my voice that I was talking about the demonstration room - but Margot stayed quiet and merely fixed me with a look of concern.


"What - what is it ?" I asked.


"I was there." she said to clarify. "In an upper balcony. I really don't know what happened. You were duplicating items just fine, the banana. The diamonds maybe not so well but I think it is because you didn't really know what they were."


She didn't say any more.


"What about the turtle ?" I asked. I knew she didn't want to talk about it.


Finally she huffed out a sigh of frustration. I think she was hoping I wouldn't ask about this.


"I really - I really don't know." she said, fumbling over her words. "Something did happen. There was a bright light, strange colors and - and scary sounds."


She looked away from me. "We recorded it of course, video and audio. I myself had never seen anything like it before."


I interpreted this to mean that they couldn't use me so I spoke, "If I'm not useful, can I go home then ?"


She turned to look at me and was almost sad. "David, I wish you could go home. I wish - I wish you didn't have this strange ability because it's made our director - well - mad with power."


"This happened one other time and met with disastrous results."


"The Fire Girl." I nodded, remembering the photo from the office I was in earlier.


"Yes." She smiled at me, "You're pretty sharp. But - yes - it was her. The director asked too much of her and she burned up herself in a white hot fire, comparable to that of the sun. There was NO WAY we could save her. It truly was like having a small star go supernova in the amphitheater."


"Out of five techs, two managed to walk away, alive, but lost their sight from looking at the almighty bright light. We had to rebuild much of the amphitheater as feet thick steel was melted like butter. It burned out our main cameras and it was a very scary thing to witness indeed."


She put a hand on my shoulder. "I really - REALLY - don't want anything like this happening with you. We've lost two wonder kids this way. I don't want to see anymore - vanish."


I looked her in the face with determination. "Then help me. Help me escape !"


She pulled back with a look of fear. Something beeped on her wrist and I noticed she was wearing a type of small device for communication.


"No. I can't. Look. I gotta go. We'll talk later." She nodded her nose to the computer. "Try it out. Learn a bit about us. That may very well help you control your ability."


Without another word she got up and went to the security door. Whizzing her key down the slot, the door opened and she left, the door clicking locked behind her.


I still had a great breakfast in front of me. I finished it off with gusto and taking my glass of orange juice, carried it over to the computer. I was now ready to access it.


I hit a key. The screensaver showed up. I hit another key and the password screen reappeared.


I carefully typed out, "secret" and pressed [ENTER].


The screen faded to black and I heard the hard-drive motor start up. It was clearly loading the main part of the program used for in all the 'wonder kid' rooms and I wondered what it was she expected me to see that would help me with my duplication powers.


(to be continued ...)





END OF CHAPTER 8



Return back HOME





You are Earth Visitor #  




© 2016 dw817


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe




Author

dw817
dw817

Fort Worth, TX



About
more..

Writing