Midwife

Midwife

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Leaf jumps forward in time to check on Finola and finds her life in danger again.

"

3.

Midwife

 

Llaiannileaf did not pause long in the In-Between place, the timeless corner outside of the flow of time.    For her, only a few moments passed, but she wondered about the girl and her fate.  

Llaiannileaf knew she had to check on her; besides, how could she search for her family outside of the flow of time in the poisoned world?     Steeling herself for the odor of decay and death, she willed herself into the world again, thinking of the blonde Finola, so she would be drawn to her presence.

 

She was in a dark, smoky room, filled with a large straw mattress bed and a group of three women surrounding a desperate young woman in the pains of childbirth.    For a moment, Llaiannileaf was confused why she was here, for she did not see the little girl anywhere.

The pregnant woman was a very young woman, very pretty with brilliant blonde hair and from her cries and groans, this was her first childbirth.   The three midwives seemed extremely concerned and looked to each other in wide-eyed helplessness.   The woolen sheet under the pregnant girl was bloody and Llaiannileaf could smell death looming nearby like the sooty torches that gave the room their reddish light.

One of the midwives looked at the other and slowly shook her head.

“Go find the minister… there is nothing more we can do.”   She whispered to the other and the second midwife rushed out of the room.

“Get Cedric!”   The pregnant girl called out, gasping for breath, repeating her demand several times in her feverish state.    Both of the remaining midwives were overcome by fear or urgency and to their shame, fled the room, leaving the poor dying girl alone, at least for a moment.

Llaiannileaf then knew why she had been pulled here.

 

The dying girl was an older Finola.    It had been only a moment for Llaiannileaf, but for the girl, perhaps 10 years had passed.    Alone with her in the room, Llaiannileaf fully materialized and went to the woman-child’s side.



Deliriously, Finola looked at her, but in her semi-conscious state, she seemed to see Llaiannileaf clearly.    She cried out, “Angel!   Lady Leaf!    Angel, my baby is dying!”

“I am here, child.”   She said soothingly to the girl, “Neither you nor your child shall die.”

“But-“

“Shh!   Listen to my song, child and be at peace.”    Llaiannileaf began chanting the Elder song, the Song of Life-Bringing.    The room was filled with her voice, which purified the smoky air as if a nightingale sang nearby.     Finola gasped in the middle of her contractions, but they became less and less desperate, until she was able to calmly breathe through them.     A greenish glow filled the room, bringing the scent of new spring growth.     

Around Finola the glow intensified, until she shined with moonlight brilliance.

Llaiannileaf closed her eyes and chanted passionately, her hands touching the girl’s swollen belly as she moved in front of her.   For soon the child would emerge, and her magic must give him life, as well as sustain the baby’s mother.

A shriek from the doorway told her that the midwives had returned.    Llaiannileaf turned toward them, finding the three women and a handsome young man, all standing petrified at the edge of the portal.    She could not stop to reassure them, but raised a hand of peace to them, and then turned back to the girl.    

The baby came immediately, cocooned in a veil of green light.   Gently the Sidhe girl brought him forth, speaking the word for breath as the infant coughed once and then gave a hearty cry.      Llaiannileaf took the newborn to his mother, as the healing magic mended the human girl and stopped her loss of blood.

Finola grabbed the infant, weeping with joy at his healthy cry.

“Angel!”   She cried, “Lady Leaf!   My baby lives!”

“As shall you.”  Llaiannileaf told her, after she finished her spell.

 

The green glow began to subside and the midwives and the father of the baby came timidly, almost reverently, into the room.   Their eyes were wide in fear and awe.

“Do not be afraid.    A son has been born to this girl!    He shall be strong and healthy.    Finola shall live and be whole as well.    See to the child and rear him wisely, for he was born for greatness.”

“Lady, who are you?”   The father asked from where he stood halfway across the room.

“I am Leaf, and I watch Finola.    Treat her and your son well, and you shall find me as your friend.    Do otherwise and beware!”

 

She raised her arms menacingly and faded out of this place, knowing that her exit would drive home her warning in a powerful way.



© 2015 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I heard stories that time is really slow in the "other worlds".
Nice chapter.


Posted 9 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Dhaye.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

723 Views
1 Review
Added on February 21, 2015
Last Updated on February 21, 2015
Tags: Fantasy, Sidhe, time travel, Science-Fiction, multi-dimensions, fate, loneliness, dispair


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis