Recruiting

Recruiting

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

As Aaron and Lysa recover from their ordeal, Sophia and Khord think of their future after years serving as Watchers.

"

25.

Recruiting

 

To everyone’s surprise, the rescued duo did not awaken for nearly a full day.     Deborah returned with news that the two Airships were returning and that King Eleazar was relieved to learn of their rescue.

“He wondered how we could now be involved in their rescue, but I told him that we would explain what had changed when we were all assembled here in Westmark.”   Deborah told Khord and Sophia.    

It would be a day before the airships returned, so the three former Watchers spent the time moving their belongings into quarters in the ducal keep.     It surprised all three of them to feel a huge burden taken off of their shoulders.    Deborah was originally from a technologically advanced world, so she missed the technology that had existed in Flux, but she took the time to just wander around the rapidly growing city of Westmark, exploring it from end to end.

 

Sophia and Khord spent most of their time moving their belongings (which were considerable) around the small ducal guest chamber.

“We’ll have to find a large house.”   Sophia told her husband as she fussed about where to place everything in their quarters with a Dart’loxinchu cigarette hanging from her lips.

Khord had hoped that Yesh would have not allowed her to have her beloved Dart’loxinchu.     But not only did she retain her duplicating box full of it, she also had a large coffin-like duplicating box that she had kept hidden from him.

“I didn’t want to run out.”   She explained, and though he had frowned and complained, she had, as usual, managed to get him to accept it by a bit of seduction and an extended time of love-making.

They were sprawled out in bed, exhausted, while she playfully teased him by blowing Dart’loxinchu smoke in his face as she lay next to him, when a knock on the door ended their intimate time.

“Just a minute.”  Sophia called out as they quickly dressed and straightened up the bedclothes.

Khord opened the door to find Drake - still in the form of the Drow wizard Devin- and Alleania standing there.

“Did we come at an inconvenient time?”    Alleania asked her niece with a slightly arched brow.

“No, no.”  Sophia replied, suddenly conscious of her messed up hair, “We were just resting.”

“Come in.”   Khord held the door open for them and they entered.

“I wanted to see the two of you… and Deborah… but I can’t seem to locate her.”   Drake said to them.

“She’s sight-seeing.”   Sophia replied, combing her hair with her fingers, “Why did you want to see us?”

“Last night, something extraordinary happened to me.   I was reading a spell-book and all at once a thousand memories rushed into my mind.    I realized who I was and all that had happened to me, up to the day that I died while battling Torvus Messorem.   I have retained the memories of coming back to the Underdark, up to this day.    I knew something had happened, for Yesh would not have allowed my memories of my life to return unless something had happened.    So I came to ask you.”

“Sit down, sir.”  Sophia told him and after he and Alleania had seated themselves, she told her former boss about their meeting with Yesh.

Drake sat there in stunned silence, listening.

“So Flux is gone, and the Watchers are no more.    Heavens, I can’t imagine something so drastic.”    He turned to Alleania, “Of all the scenarios that I speculated on, I never considered that.”

Alleania nodded, “At least you have your memories restored to you.   Yesh gave you that.    Now I won’t have to teach you all the spells.   In fact, you will be able to teach me a lot of things.”

Drake smiled and took her hand, “I look forward to that, my dear.”

His affection to Alleania did not surprise Khord or Sophia, for everyone had noticed that the two were falling in love for many months.

“So, Drake, what are your plans now?”   Khord asked him.

“I don’t know, Khord, I think that I now have a lot more to offer King Eleazar and the Kingdom of Marksylvania.     That young Practical Magician - Muld, I believe is his name- has opened up a Practical Magic guild here and has recruited a young staff.    I think we might be able to assist them.”

“You said ‘we’ - who else do you mean?”  Sophia asked.

Drake grinned, “You, Khord, Alleania, myself - hopefully Deborah if she wants to.    I don’t mean to interfere with the young man and his staff, but instead to provide suggestions and any assistance that they may need.     Practical Magic is a worthy school of magic, and now it seems as if Westmark has an abundance of out-of-work wizards, sorceresses and those who understand the advantages of technology that is fueled and crafted by magic.”

Sophia sighed and rubbed her belly, “I don’t know, Drake.    Perhaps you are right, but I’m sure there will be plenty of work for all of us, helping to build this new Kingdom.   I’m sure we’ve not heard the last of the Hutcaiah.”

Drake nodded, “No, that is certainly true.    They’ll need to beef up their military might as well.    Sophia, I don’t want to give you the wrong impression - I do not want to dominate the Practical Magicians and take charge.   In fact, I don’t want them to even realize we are interested in them.   I feel Muld is a visionary and deserves his own chance to be great.   Alleania has told me that the Losasidhe Princess shares her late sister’s talent for the arcane arts and she is also working with the Practical Magicians.   But there will certainly be ways we can help them as well as benefit the King and Queen of Marksylvania in strengthening the Kingdom.”

“I’m sure we’re not ready to retire.”   Sophia told Drake with a smile.   One of her babies kicked right then, as if reminding her of other priorities, “I have other obligations to consider, however, so I’m going to limit myself to some degree until after I give birth.”

“You poor dear, you must be anxious for it.”   Alleania said with a gleam of envy in her eyes over her niece’s condition.

“Well, I’m anxious to see them and hold them, but honestly, I love being pregnant.”

“Certainly that is your first priority.”   Drake told her, “I imagine your twins will inherit their mother’s knack for magic and beauty as well as their father’s great agility and diplomatic skills.”

“Or they may just be spoiled brats.”   Khord joked and they all laughed.

“Well, it is something to think about.”   Drake said as he turned to leave, “I really think Muld and his Practical Magicians will be important for Marksylvania’s future.    We’ll take our leave now, see you later.”

“Goodbye, and we’ll talk about your ideas.”   Sophia told them, hugging her aunt before they left.

“Well, I guess we’ll still have important stuff to do, even after serving as Watchers.”   Khord told his wife after Drake and Alleania had left.

“I’m sure we all will have a lot to do.   It should be interesting.”  Sophia replied, as her babies kicked her again.



© 2017 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"But not only did she retain her duplicating box full of it, but also a large coffin-like duplicating box..." Since you have started the sentence with "But," you can change the second one to "she."

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

260 Views
1 Review
Added on June 3, 2015
Last Updated on February 4, 2017
Tags: Helios, Westmark, Paladins, Talminor, Synomenia, Marksylvania, Orc, Elf, Drow, Fantasy, Adventure, Magic, Sorcery, romance, swords and sorcery, Knights, revenge


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis