Penteulu

Penteulu

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Will a change in the structure of the Queen's Guard cost Arianelle her job?

"

10.

Penteulu

 

It was two hours before sunrise when they were awakened by one of the guards pounding on the barracks door.   He yelled through the doorway that Sergeant Maelneth was being summoned to a meeting with the other sergeants and King Eleazar in one hour.

Although still exhausted from the events of the previous day, Arianelle quickly donned some clothing (her damaged armor had not been replaced) and hurried off to the main royal audience chamber.

 

She arrived a quarter of an hour early, but she could sense as soon as she entered, that the orc sergeants had been meeting with her grandfather for some time.    The orcs looked agitated and frustrated, frowning as she entered.

“Sergeant Maelneth, please join us.”   Eleazar gestured for her to enter and she meekly went to stand with the other sergeants, bowing to the king with proper respect.

“Sergeant, we have a bit of a problem, this morning.”  Eleazar said slowly, as if carefully choosing his words, “Your fellow sergeants, as you can see, are all of the orc race and they have come to me with very strong opinions on the Queen’s Guard.”

Arianelle nodded with a slight smile to show she understood, and this surprised not only her grandfather, but the orc sergeants as well.

“So you know then what they feel about membership in the Queen’s Guard?”   Eleazar asked her.

“I’ve been told that many orc members of the Queen’s Guard are not fond of the policy that was put in place recently to allow those of non-orc heritage to serve in the guards.”

She glanced at the orcs as she spoke, and her gaze made all of them to look away with shame.

“Yes, you are correct, sergeant.    They have suggested that the betrayal of Lieutenant Jost yesterday would not have occurred had he been from one of the orc families that have served as guards for many generations.”

Arianelle shrugged. “Your Majesty, perhaps that is true, for I know that the orcs who serve in the Queen’s Guard are fiercely loyal to the crown.”

Her words made the sergeants shift uncomfortably, as Arianelle was not responding at all as they had imagined she would.

“Sergeant, they have strongly suggested that I immediately remove all non-orcs from their positions in the Queen’s Guards.    You are currently the highest ranking non-orc in the guard and I wanted to get your opinion on this.”

“Well, frankly, I fear that if they don’t get what they want, they will resent those of us serving that are not orcs and that would create mistrust and tension.    As we saw yesterday, we need uniformity and trust in the Queen’s Guard.    So personally, I would abide by your decision, Your Highness.     My only fear is that the others, who are non-orcs that have served faithfully, will feel as if they are being treated unfairly.”

Eleazar nodded, “That is my great concern as well, sergeant.”

“Your Highness,” One of the orc sergeants spoke up, “I want to tell Sergeant Maelneth that we certainly do not doubt her ability or service as a Queen’s Guard.    Her actions yesterday were in keeping with the highest standards of the Queen’s Guard and she served with honor.     We do not want to appear racist or prejudiced.”

Eleazar nodded, then leaned back in his throne and closed his eyes for a moment.

Everyone waited anxiously, and finally the king again opened his eyes and took a deep breath.

“Here is my decision.  Effective immediately, all non-orc members of the Queen’s Guard will be removed from service.   From this day forward, only those of orc ancestry will be permitted to serve.    For those who were removed from service, they will be given positions in the palace guards or in another place of service if they desire.    They will be treated with honor and courtesy, gentlemen, for they have done no wrong.    You shall allow them to keep their armor and weapons, and their horse.    Until proper housing for them can be secured, you shall allow them to remain in the barracks if they so choose.”

The orc sergeants all nodded in agreement, satisfaction on their faces.

Eleazar looked at his granddaughter for a long moment. “Gentlemen, Sergeant Maelneth has again proven her worthiness by very graciously agreeing to your terms.    Therefore, I am hereby establishing a new position for her and any others that I or my Queen selects.      Sergeant Maelneth, you will hold the title of ‘Penteulu’ which in some of the human and elven kingdoms of centuries past was the title given to the personal bodyguard of the king or queen.”

“Now I do not require a personal bodyguard, but I desire that Queen Aurei is protected.   You are hereby appointed as her personal bodyguard, or Penteulu.    This position is not affiliated with the Queen’s Guard and I’m setting this up so that there will be two different levels of protection of the queen and any royal children or grandchildren.”    

“The order of these personal bodyguards will be known as ‘House Guards’ or ‘Teulutirith’.   The Teulutirith will number only as many as there are royal family members that need a bodyguard.   There shall only be one Teulutirith for each member of the royal family and they must be approved by the king.      Sergeant Maelneth, as “Penteulu” you will be the captain of the Teulutirith and will have command of them.     We will work out the details later, but by keeping this separate from the Queen’s Guard, there is a lesser chance of corruption infecting both of them.”  

“The Queen’s Guard will be responsible for guarding rooms, carriages and escorting the royal family on journeys, but this new order will only be responsible for protecting their assigned charge.     Maelneth, for your gallantry yesterday, you will be known as 'Captain Maelneth, Penteulu of the Teulutirith.’ ”

As she pondered her new role, Arianelle bowed respectfully.   The orc sergeants accepted the King’s decision with stoic dignity, though she suspected that the new Teulutirith order would be a mild slap in their face.    Yet they had got what they wanted, so they accepted it as a fair trade.

Eleazar again addressed her as the orc sergeants stood waiting for him to finish.

“Captain Maelneth, I can think of only four others that will need a bodyguard at this time, so I will speak to them and we will make appointments in a day or two.    There will probably be more assigned later.    Your quarters will be here in the palace.   I will make arrangements for that today.   For now, you are dismissed to return to the Queen’s Guard barracks and get your things, and then bring them here and entrust them to my butler and he will see that they are placed in the quarters that I assign for you.    You have a warhorse, I take it?”

“Yes, Your Majesty, in the Queen’s Guard stable.”

“Have it placed in the royal stable for now.”

“Yes, Your Highness, thank you; you are most gracious.”

“You earned this position, Captain Maelneth.   Now go and make your arrangements, then report to Queen Aurei as quickly as you can.    You are dismissed.”

She bowed, and then smiled politely to the orc sergeants, who bowed respectfully in return.   Arianelle quickly fled the room, wondering what sort of conversation her grandfather would have with the sergeants after she left.

 

***

It took her nearly an hour to remove her stuff from the women’s barracks for she had to tell the ladies there what had transpired.  The four ladies were sorry to see her leave.    None were thrilled with the news of the changes to the Queen’s Guard, but they were pleased that King Eleazar would provide for those who would lose a job.

 

It was nearly seven o’clock when Arianelle knocked on the queen’s chamber door.   One of her maids opened the door and ushered her in.     Queen Aurei was dressed in a formal black dress, which puzzled the Sylvan princess for a moment, until she remembered the events of the day before.

There would be a combined funeral service for all those who died, later that morning.

“Your Majesty, I forgot about the funeral and I fear that I am not dressed respectfully.”

Aurei dismissed her maid and waited for the door to close before she spoke.

“Arianelle, are you certain that you want to keep up this charade, now that you’re no longer a Queen’s Guardsman?    The position of Penteulu was usually held by members of the king’s immediate family.   Often it was given to his second oldest son.    You could just be yourself and still serve as my bodyguard.”

Arianelle laughed. “I suspect that would not go over well with the orcs, for they’d see it as a deception by the royal family against them and their Queen’s Guard.     Besides, it is really rather nice being treated like a normal person.”

Aurei sighed. “I can understand that, child.     I miss that too.    Even when I first became duchess, I was not treated much differently by those in Westmark.   Now everyone is so polite and respectful.   I miss the simple life, Arianelle.”

“You should get a disguise and join me for a while, grandma.”

“I have so many responsibilities, that would be difficult, but it does sound rather exciting.     You know, that is the frustrating thing about being elven - we don’t age, but our attitudes toward things changes just like other races.   Take your grandfather and me, for example.    Now if we were to stand next to your parents and you, all of us would look very close in age… well, you look younger, but certainly none of us look old enough to be your parents or grandparents.”

“We also don’t feel older, for the most part, child.    We have the same energy and youthfulness that we’ve had since we reached adulthood.    Yet the worries and troubles of this world do change how we think and act.   We get this sad weariness about us, Arianelle.   I spent forty years following the deaths of my oldest daughters, in a dark mood.”

Arianelle frowned, “Who could blame you, grandma?    We’re supposed to be immortal, yet so often we have had tragedies.”

The queen took her granddaughter’s hand, sensing a dark mood coming over her, “Days like this are difficult, child.    Death is more horrid to us who seem to defy it, than it is for most races.”

“I was thinking of Aunt Zeatt, grandma.    I know I was only a young child when she and the others died, but it really troubled me.   I think it has warped me.”

“That is why you are doing what you are doing now, sweetheart.   I understand this, believe it or not.   That is why your grandfather and I are allowing you to continue this charade.    It is a form of therapy for you.     Until you come to terms with your hatred of the Hutcaiah, you will be under a terrible, dark cloud.”

Arianelle looked at the queen with a bleak expression, “I don’t think I could ever forgive them, grandma.   I strongly feel that Prince Lee is up to something that will cause problems for us.”

“That’s paranoia, Arianelle.     It is one of the worst fears to overcome.”

“Yeah, I know… my fears really cause me problems with mom and dad.   They don’t understand how confusing it all is to me as well.    I know I need to have more faith and trust… but…”

“It takes time and even then it can be a fragile thing, my dear.”

“So what do I do, grandma?   I want to be normal.”

“You just keep going each day.   Enjoy the people around you and take joy in small things.   Which reminds me…”   The queen walked over to a small box on a nearby table and brought it over to her granddaughter, holding it out to her.

Arianelle looked at her quizzingly, and then flipped open the latch and raised the lid of the box.    Suddenly all sight and sound was lost.    She closed the lid and smiled at Aurei, “The drow silence and darkness stones!”

“Your grandfather had them made for you, since yours were dispelled in the tunnel.    Hopefully this will give you some joy.”

“Today will not be very joyous.”   Arianelle said, slipping the small box into her pocket.

“No, but once the funeral has ended, I have an idea.”   There was a sparkle in Aurei’s red eyes that surprised Arianelle.

“What have you got in mind, grandma?”

“I’m not going to tell you, sweetheart.   You’ll see.   For now, let’s find you something appropriate for a captain to wear to a funeral service.    I don’t imagine you’d consider wearing one of your own dresses.”

“How would I explain that if someone recognized the dress?”

“You wouldn’t have to explain it if you just resumed your role as Princess Arianelle.”

“Grandma, like I said earlier, I like the freedom.”

“Yes, I’m sure you do.    Well, if you are going to be a bodyguard captain, you’d need some sort of armor, but your plate armor is still damaged.    I have a suit of black elven chainmail that might be suitable for the occasion.   It should fit you; you are my height now, though you are more slender… for now.”

Arianelle looked up in alarm, “What do you mean ‘for now’?”

Aurei shrugged, “Well, who knows?   You are not even half-drow, so perhaps you’ll not take on the typical dark elven shape.    But all of my daughters - including your mother, who you greatly resemble in your natural form- had the shape of a drow lady, so don’t be surprised if you inherit it as well.”

“Oh, I hope not, grandma!   I don’t mean anything is wrong looking that way, but I’d like to just stay slim.”

“So your masquerade is easier?”

“Yes, but I really don’t want to mess with all that foolishness.”

“Foolishness?”

“Yes, you know what I mean - men flirting and all that sort of junk.   I think it is all a huge waste of time and humiliating to see how some of the ladies of the court act to try to win the favor of a man.   It’s disgusting.”

Aurei chuckled, but did not try to argue, knowing that time would very likely change her opinions soon enough.

“Well, do you want to wear the black chainmail?”

“Sure, grandma.”

 

Aurei went over to her closet and emerged a few minutes later with the suit of chainmail.    Arianelle tried it on and found that it fit well, though it was very loose in the chest and hips.

“I have pants and black boots that you can try as well.”   Aurei told her as she helped her granddaughter slip into the tunic of elven chainmail.

“Thank you, grandma… or maybe I had best get used to addressing you as Your Majesty, so it will come naturally to my lips.”

“If you want to keep your true identity hidden, then yes, you had best speak to me in public by my royal titles.”   The way that she said this betrayed Aurei’s preference for her family title.

 

A few minutes later Arianelle was dressed all in black, managing to look both respectful, yet suitable for a bodyguard.

They ate together, like the morning before, and then prepared to go to St. Darv’s Cathedral for the funeral ceremony.    The beautiful church was only ten years old and was named after St. Darv, who had been the parish priest of Westmark when Aurei was Arianelle’s age.

“You knew St. Darv well, didn’t you, Your Highness?”  Arianelle asked the drow queen as they walked with the royal court in somber respect into the cathedral.  

Aurei’s eyes misted over, but she smiled in the memory. “He was my pastor and a true friend, Maelneth.   I learned more about Yesh from him than almost anyone, except for my Aunt Zeatt.   He was a kind, humble man that gave his life to save his parish from the Necromancer’s Guild.    It has been nearly 150 years since he died, and I can honestly say that I still miss him… especially since Aunt Zeatt joined him in paradise.”    The queen was overcome with emotion at that moment and wiped tears from her eyes with a sniffle.

Arianelle completely forgot her role for a moment and reached over and put her arm around her grandmother, fighting her own tears as she thought of her great aunt.    She suddenly longed to see her parents and that just made the tears worse.

The other members of the royal court were surprised by Maelneth’s embrace of the queen, but seeing how they both wept and knowing of the terrible events of the day before, they all attributed the bodyguard’s action to strong grief.

Princess Aidan was waiting for them in the royal pew and upon seeing her mother (and Maelneth) crying, quickly ran over and comforted her.    

Arianelle then realized that what she had done to comfort her beloved grandmother might be misunderstood by everyone else, so she quickly stepped back and let her Aunt Aidan comfort her.

Batting back her own tears, Arianelle focused on standing behind her in a proper bodyguard stance.    The beautiful, but mournful music that filled the church as everyone filed inside did nothing to help her emotions.     Arianelle struggled to regain composure, embarrassed at such a display of weakness.

Eleazar and Nolen joined them, both dressed in regal parade plate armor.    The king went immediately to comfort his wife and daughter, though he gave the quickest of gentle smiles to Arianelle as he looked around.

The Sylvan princess closed her eyes for a moment, swallowing hard to try to stop the flood of emotion that had come over her.   She was failing to maintain the hardened attitude that she wanted everyone to see as Maelneth.

Suddenly she felt an arm around her; someone wearing plate armor.   She looked up to find her cousin Nolen smiling gently at her, “Are you alright, sergeant?  Whoops, I mean ‘captain’?   Congratulations, by the way.   But are you alright?”

“I apologize, Your Highness, it is this beautiful church and that haunting music, added to the events of yesterday…”

“Yes, I certainly understand.   Is there anything I can do to help you, captain?”

“No, Your Highness, I will be alright.    Forgive me for my weakness.”

“Compassion is never a weakness, Captain Maelneth.  You were a Queen’s Guard until this morning, and some of your own were lost.   Of course you would grieve.”

“No, sir, I meant that I am sorry that I am allowing my personal feelings to interfere with my responsibilities.   I was quite fond of Captain Todd.   Yet I should not grieve now, but simply focus on serving Her Majesty.”

“Maelneth, I saw you as you escorted my grandmother into the sanctuary - you were serving her by sharing in her grief.    I would say that you are doing your duty.   She certainly is quite fond of you.”

“Her Majesty is quite wonderful.   I am so honored to serve her.”

Nolen smiled, “I’d say she is very fortunate to have such a faithful servant.    What you did yesterday was incredibly brave.    You know, I probably owe you my life.    For you see, I had neglected to put on my autocaster ring yesterday, so I could have died, had you not raised that portcullis.   How did you ever manage to do that?  You’d have to be as strong as an ogre!”

“Perhaps I am.”  She replied mysteriously and at that moment the funeral service began.

 



© 2017 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

"...as they had imagined that she would." You can take "that" out.
"...you will be under a terrible dark cloud." This should read "...under a terrible, dark cloud."
"...and so don’t be surprised..." You can take the "and" out.
"...realized that what she might have done to comfort..." You can remove "might" and change "have" to "had."
"...let her Aunt Aidan to comfort her." This should be changed either to "...let her Aunt Aidan comfort her." or "...left her Aunt Aidan to comfort her."
"...allowing my personal feelings interfere with my responsibilities." Perhaps add "to" after "personal."
"But I should not grieve now, but serve Her Majesty." This sentence needs a little reworking, as the double use of "but" makes it sound redundant.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

361 Views
1 Review
Added on November 29, 2015
Last Updated on February 9, 2017
Tags: Arianelle, Hutcaiah, Marksylvania, Tarmard, fantasy, Drow, Elf, Synomenia, Westmark, Aurei, Paladins, knights, swords and sorcery, adventure, romance


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis