Plans and Actions

Plans and Actions

A Chapter by Eddie Davis
"

Aloea gives birth and Rick and Shel make a decision about their relationship.

"

20.

Plans and Actions

 

Aloea, the Lizard-woman surprised everyone by having an extremely quick and surprisingly easy labor.    Almost an hour later, Syndi and her mother boarded the airship where Muld and Eiolmoel sat waiting.

“Aloea has a baby son,”   Syndi told the men, “It was the easiest birth I have ever seen.   Deborah is bringing her and the baby up on the next hover-boat."

“Both are doing wonderful,”  The Queen added, smiling, “Aloea is going to be a great mother.”

“I asked her to consider living in Marksylvania when we get back home,”   Syndi told Muld, “She said she’d give it a try.”

“There is a lot we can learn from her; I hope she will like it there,”  Muld replied, “She and her baby deserve a happy life after all that she has been through.”

 

Everyone was delighted to see the tiny Lizard-infant and was amazed at how much he was like a human or elven baby.  Aloea was a proud, doting mother and endured many questions from those who had never seen one of the Lizardfolk before.

None of Calarom’s people showed themselves, and everyone was eager to leave the island as quickly as possible.

Soon the four airships were leaving Albyia far behind.   Muld and Syndi stared out a porthole, watching the island disappear, feeling a mixture of emotions.

They flew over the fleet of Southern Empire ships heading toward Albyia and all of them felt somewhat sad for the natives of the island that were going to soon face a time of extended conflict with the aggressive imperials.

As they travelled westward, the skies darkened and soon a cold autumn rain was falling.

The bleakness of the day and the weariness from their adventure on the island caused Muld and Syndi to barely keep their eyes open while sitting and chatting with her parents, Sophia, Deborah and Khord.    Aloea and her baby had retired for some rest and after an hour of telling of their experiences on Albyia, both were blinking frequently to keep from falling asleep.

“You both should get some rest,”  Sophia suggested as she sat before her crystal ball waiting for her mother back in Westmark to open communication with her.

“We have a cabin for you,”   King Eiolmoel told them and Syndi noticed that he had not said cabins, but only one cabin.   She looked a bit surprised and glanced at her mother to see if she approved.

Queen Synthaeia met her daughters gaze with a slight smile which surprised the princess.

“It’s alright, we understand now,”  She said to her.

“Mother, nothing has changed yet, we still haven’t…”   Syndi trailed off, embarrassed.

The Queen’s mood lightened considerably at the news, “Oh?”

“It wasn’t exactly a vacation spot and we both didn’t feel it was right.”  She explained as her face turned beet red.

Queen Synthaeia nodded, “You don’t have to explain, Nin yenda.   I am glad that you both refrained, but I do understand.    Both of you go and get some sleep.”

They didn’t argue with them and so were escorted into a large airship cabin.     They wasted no time climbing into bed and Syndi nestled down into Muld’s arms.

“I’m so tired, Muld, I don’t think I’ll ever feel rested up again.”

“Yes you will, you just need an extended period of rest.    We both do.   Let’s try to get some sleep.”  

When Syndi didn’t answer him, he looked down at her to find her already sleeping.   Muld kissed her cheek and closed his eyes and soon was joining her in a shared dream of a familiar pool, but this time in a peaceful, quiet setting.

 

They slept for fifteen hours, and several times the Queen quietly checked on them.    

“Still sleeping like babies,”  She reported back after the third check.    Sophia had finally got in contact with her mother and Reverend Zeatt had told them about the situation with Hobnail.    Jevon and Ant had warned King Eleazar and Queen Aurei about what Lord Deryck had hinted at when he had spoken to Jain.

“We don’t know what he’ll do, but it looks like he may try an attack on the city,”  Zeatt had told Sophia.

“We’ll increase our speed,”  Sophia had assured her before hurrying off to share the news.

The airship captains had agreed that a quicker pace would be best and now they were traveling as quickly as the vacuum engines could.   It would still take two days without stopping at night.

“What do you think that awful dwarf will do?”  Synthaeia asked those chatting in the common room of the airship when she had returned to her seat.

 

"He's capable of anything,"  Deborah answered, "I imagine that he is furious now and wants revenge more than ever."

"But could he realistically attack Westmark?   There are now many warships in King Eleazar's airship fleet.   I would think a straight-forward attack would be disastrous for him."

"He will try something sneaky and devious,"  King Eiolmoel said, "We know he has spies -- even in our own royal court."

Queen Synthaeia frowned, "It breaks my heart to think that Lord Deryck would betray us.   After all those years of favoritism."

"Hopefully we will arrive before he follows through with his plans,"  Sophia spoke up from where she sat with Khord, "The more wizards and sorceresses fighting against him, the better."

Khord sat up a bit and looked at his wife, "Is there any way to find out by magic?"

Sophia shook her head, "I tried, but he has magic that shields his whereabouts."

"It just seems like it would be a suicide mission to attack Westmark,"  Deborah interjected, "Perhaps that is his plan."

"Suicide?   He doesn't seem the type that would be willing to die just to get revenge."  Sophia argued.

"No, but he may use someone else  -- willing or unwilling-- to try something like that.    For example, he could set one of his airships on fire and crash it into the royal palace.   Or maybe he'd rig up a magical trap that would activate once it flew over the city.    Damage, death and chaos would certainly be something he would relish inflicting upon Marksylvania."

Sophia stirred uncomfortably, her arms wrapped protectively across her huge belly, "Now you have me worried, Deborah!   I think you might be right.    Pirates seldom fight fair."

"Westmark needs some sort of anti-airship defense."

"I agree, but what could they rig up without hampering the legitimate airships that travel back and forth into the city every day?"

Deborah shook her head, "I don't know -- some sort of force-field set up over the top of the city that could be lowered to allow merchant airships through.   But that would be extraordinarily difficult to enchant and maintain.:"

 

The assembled group began debating and discussing defenses for the Marksylvanian capital, while, many miles away, in Westmark, others were doing the same thing with a bit more urgency.

The heavy rain had moved across land by late evening and as darkness fell, a thick blanket of clouds covered all of the northlands.

In Westmark, the rain fell cold and steady, mixed occasionally with sleet and ice, ushering in the beginning of winter.

 

King Eleazar had summoned all of Muld's assistants in the Practical Magician's Guild, as well as Ant and Shel, to meet with him earlier in the evening.    Jevon and Ant's findings were discussed with them for several hours and, like those aboard the airship coming home, no viable plan of protecting the city by magic could be found.

They left the palace just as the rain began to fall, thankful that the Queen had provided a coach to take them home.

"Hey, the driver missed your street, Shel!"   Tadd exclaimed as he looked out the window at the rain reflected by the arcane street lamps that the guild had recently placed all across town.

"It's alright,"   Shel replied a bit embarrassed.

"But-"  Tadd began to say, but Mutt's elbow in his side shut him up.   He glared at the goblin, but then -a bit late-  understood the reason for the jab.

"Oh,"  Tadd said, "Sorry..."

Shel shifted uncomfortably, though nobody looked at her except Rick who was smiling.

Rick's apartment was the final stop and Rick helped Shel step out of the coach, then thanked the driver and hurried with the Orc girl to get inside out of the rain.

"Oh, that was so embarrassing,"  Shel said after they had entered, "I feel so wanton."

"Don't feel that way, Shel, everyone knows we are a couple now."

The Orc girl dried off her hair with her cloak, "Yes, but I didn't even really ask you if I could stay here."

"I would have said yes, you know."

"Everyone will think the worst about me."

"No they won't!"

"Proper ladies don't live with their boyfriends."

Rick shrugged, "Well, there is a solution for that you know."

"What?"

"Marriage,"  Rick was surprised at her silence.   He turned around to find her with a stunned expression on her face, "Is that not a good idea?"

"You realize what you just suggested, hon?"

"Yes, I do.  I'm in love with you, Shel and I can't imagine anyone that I would rather spend the rest of my life with than you.   You are intelligent, sweet, charming and extremely attractive."    Rick went over to her and got down on one knee, then took her hand, "I know this is rather sudden, but will you marry me?"

"I can't, Rick!   I'm an Orc!"  She replied, bursting into tears.

Rick jumped up and hugged her to him, "I know you are an Orc, and I'm human.   I happen to love everything about you, Shel."  

She sobbed for a long time on his shoulder, making him wonder if his proposal had been rejected or not.

Finally she took a deep breath and looked up at him, "I don't want a fancy wedding.   In fact, I'd be happy just to have a private ceremony with just the necessary number of witnesses."

"So is that a yes?"

She responded with a passionate kiss, "Of course I'll marry you!   I just can't believe that you'd want me as a wife."

"I can't imagine anyone else, Shel."

"Then let's go!"

"Go?"

"Put your cloak on and let's go see Reverend Mother Zeatt."

"For what?"

"To marry us!"

"Tonight?!   But it's almost eleven O'clock and it is raining outside!"

"Are you chickening out, hon?"

"No, but I don’t have those rain-repelling cloaks here now!   We’ll get soaked!"

"Then let's be spontaneous and act quickly!"

"Okay..."  

She helped him to numbly throw the damp cloak over him and a moment later they were hurrying through the empty streets in the rain.

But neither one of them really noticed.

 

***

 

"You want me to marry you?   Tonight?"   Reverend Zeatt stood at the entrance to her quarters at the palace, wrapped in a robe.   The guards that had brought Rick and Shel to her looked apologetically to the priestess of Yesh.

Zeatt turned to them and smiled, "It's alright, gentlemen; you did the right thing to bring them to me.   Now I have one more task for you.     I need three witnesses.   My husband Alvis will serve as one, but I need you to bring me the other two."

"Yes, ma'am.   Who shall we get?"  The guard asked.

"Go wake King Eleazar and Queen Aurei and bring them here."

"What?"  The guard said at the same time Shel and Rick uttered the same word in surprise.

"Trust me, they won't mind."  She assured the guard, who remained skeptical.

"Reverend Mother, I don't know if that would be a good thing to do,"  He said tactfully, but she gave him such a commanding look that he relented.

"Reverend Zeatt, I really didn't want to cause any problem,"  Shel told her as the guards hurried off to do her bidding.

"A marriage is never a 'problem' to me, child!   In fact, along with the dedication of babies, it is my greatest joy as a servant of Yesh."

"But to disturb the King and Queen... and Baron Alvis!"

"We weren't sleeping, Shel, and I imagine Eleazar and Aurei aren't either.   Aurei loves weddings, even impromptu affairs."

"Yes, but what about the King?"   Rick asked nervously.

"I think he will like something pleasant to see for once.   The heaviness of a pirate attack can be lightened with the joy of a wedding."

Rick turned to Shel, "I'm not so sure a big wedding wouldn't have been a better idea."

The Orc girl nodded, but Zeatt led her away after this to try to find a suitable wedding dress.    Shel protested; saying that she just wanted a simple ceremony, but the Reverend Mother wouldn't listen and led the Orc girl down the hall toward the royal wardrobe.

Rick bowed respectfully when Baron Alvis came out of his private chamber also dressed in a robe.

"I am so very sorry, my Lord,"  Rick said, but the older man was smiling.

"Women are very spontaneous, Rick, which is why we are so drawn to them."

"It was my idea to marry her, sir, but she wanted to wed tonight!"

Alvis shrugged, "She's not one for big ceremonies, which is rare for a woman.    You've got someone special there, Rick."

"Thank you, sir.    I hope we don't cause too much of a scandal.   Some people will be offended at an Orc and human marrying."

"No more than they were when a human married a Drow,"   He was of course referring to his marriage to Zeatt and Rick was comforted by his words.

"Come on, Rick, let's see if we can find you something more regal to wear for your part in the ceremony."

 

***

 

An hour later -- somehow-- they stood before Zeatt in her priestly garments inside the royal chapel, which was lit only by candlelight.   The rain provided a very soothing background for the ceremony.

Behind them, standing respectfully, stood the King and Queen of Marksylvania and Baron Alvis.   Rick was greatly relieved to see that the King was amused and charmed at the novelty of the late night wedding and was not bothered by it at all.   Queen Aurei had found a white ball gown for Shel that looked almost like a wedding dress.    Though they didn't have time for her to be made-up properly, the Orc girl looked unbelievably lovely as she stood next to him while Zeatt performed the ceremony.

King Eleazar had provided them with a pair of gold rings which he gave to them as a wedding present and to thank them for their service to their king against the pirates.

At a few minutes past midnight, Rick slipped the gold ring on Shel's finger and was instructed to kiss her.   

"May Yesh bless this union and prosper them with children and years of health and happiness,"  Zeatt gave the blessing and then it was official.

 

After receiving congratulations and thanking the royal couple, Reverend Zeatt, and Baron Alvis, they were riding once again across town in a royal coach, but this time as husband and wife.

 

As they were about to enter the apartment for a second time, Shel stopped him, "You're supposed to carry me over the threshold for good luck."

He scooped her up into his arms and walked into the apartment.   Shel kissed him and said, "Now I think we have another tradition to attend to."

Rick's legs wobbled a bit upon thinking about it, but with a somewhat nervous and excited grin he carried her into the bedroom, eager to follow this tradition.

 



© 2017 Eddie Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on April 8, 2017
Last Updated on April 8, 2017
Tags: Practical Magic, Synomenia, Westmark, Marksylvania, Elf, Drow, Fantasy, Sword and Sorcery, Wizards


Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis