Chapter 1: Saving the Hero

Chapter 1: Saving the Hero

A Chapter by Becca


“Online.”
“Testing.”
“Live.”
“We are go, people. In: five, four-”
“Everyone know what to do?”
“Three, two-”
“Bring them here. If things go wrong, to the Alter zone. Got it?
“One.”
“GO!”

*    *    *    *    *

Josh waved to the fans as he strutted down the stage. They went wild, screaming his name and flapping signs, desperate for his attention. Josh laughed. This was the best part about his job.
Rockstar.
Superstar.
After a long day, he only needed to step outside to remind himself why he endured the bad press and haters. These people. They bought his records and made his life wonderful.
Josh waved again, sending nearby teenage girls into hysterics. They’d probably need life support by the end of the night.
“Hello everybody!”
Shrieking, screaming, stomping, clapping answers.
“Are you ready to ROCK?!?!”
The room erupted. Josh laughed, throwing his head back. Letting the waves of applause wash over him.

That’s when it all changed.

*    *    *    *    *

Josh barely lifted his head before someone’s hands slapped over his temple. Instantly the room full of fans vanished. Far off someone screamed. A gunshot rang out. Then pain. Fierce, overwhelming pain. He opened his mouth to scream, but couldn’t move. Hands dropped him onto a hard surface and skimmed his chest for wounds.
“Is he all right?”
“He will be, once the sickness wears off.”
“Good. Well timed, crew.”
Josh blinked fervently. A shadow took shape in front of his eyes, its features becoming clearer by the second.
Josh,” whispered a voice. “Can you hear me?”
Josh tried to nod.
“Good,” continued the voice. “Try to relax. It will be easier to move then.”
Taking deep breaths, Josh made himself calm a little.
“Good, Josh. Can you see me?
Josh looked up again. The stranger had become a girl. Just another teen girl. He nodded.
“Good.” The girl smiled and held out her hand. Josh took it and stood, looking around. “Where am I?”
The room was small and blue. Josh noticed that first. A dull, steel blue. Four other girls stood a ways away, watching him. Carefully. Scrutinizing him.
It was a little creepy.
“You’re in a trailer, Josh,” answered the first girl smoothly. “It’s the only safe place for now.”
“Safe place? Why?”
Another girl stepped forward. “Someone’s trying to kill you, Josh,” she informed him flatly. “That gunshot you heard- it was meant for you.” A second later, she added, “If not for us, you’d be dead.”
“Dead?” Josh squinted at her, trying to take it all in. “Why would I be dead?”

A heavy paw slapped against the door.

“Everyone against the wall,” ordered the first girl, opening her hands. They started to glow.
The other girls pulled a protesting Josh against the wall.
“If you want to live, don’t say a word,” warned the first. She gestured to the wall they were backed against. The glow from her hands expanded and covered them, matching the wall in color. It resembled a two-way mirror; those inside could see out, but to the outsiders, it was only a wall.

The remaining girl opened the door carefully.
“Is he here?”
Josh almost yelped. His bodyguard. Everything would be okay now. Wait, wait- what was she doing?
“No, I think he’s down there.” She pointed vaguely out the door and slammed it shut as the crowd outside took off.
Josh started forward. “That’s my-”
“Alter. Now.”
The faux wall dissolved. Josh instinctively looked around again. All the girls were gone… save one. Josh backed away from her. “No.”
“Stop it, Josh. Let me work.”
“Leave me alone!” Josh pushed her away. She dived around his hands and touched his head again. Josh ripped her fingers away before she could do anything. “I said leave me alone!”
“Josh, you don’t understand! They will kill you!”
“Let me die then!”
The girl’s eyes flashed. She stood to her full height and glared at him. “You will come NOW!” With her last word, the walls around them began to tumble, and immense pain flashed through Josh’s head. “NO!” he screamed, crashing to his knees, cradling his head. “STOP IT!”
The girl vanished.
And everything faded to black.



© 2009 Becca


Author's Note

Becca
I know it may be a little dramatic, but I'm trying out a new idea. So bear with me. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on March 8, 2009


Author

Becca
Becca

About
I've been writing my entire life, it seems... I cannot remember when I began, nor can I figure out when it will end. Hopefully, it never will. more..

Writing
Forbidden love Forbidden love

A Story by Becca


La la la... La la la...

A Poem by Becca