The Plot thickens

The Plot thickens

A Chapter by Aaron 'Aar0Head' Thorne
"

Chapter 4: Part 1: the apple of my evil eye Part 2: the gloom falling empire of Jessy the kid

"

CHAPTER 4

The Plot Thickens

 

Part 1: The Apple of My Evil Eye:

Hector awoke to the golden light of the sunrise as it gently peaked through the canyon walls. There was a cold, wet due on everything, including himself, due to sleeping outside, above deck.

He wondered how his traveling companion had faired through the night. So he opened the hatch to the lower deck, and to his astonishment, she wasn’t there. Confused and still half asleep, Hector went back up to the deck. There he saw a pile of clothes on the floor, and they weren't his. They were women’s clothes.

Just then he heard splashing sounds coming from over the edge of the boat. There she was, having a swim, well technically, she was bathing. Well you would to, if you were being chased by murderous beasts, for the last couple of days. And falling off a cliff into the water in order to save your life, doesn’t count.

 

“Good morning.” Hope said.

 

Hector replied with a dumb, stunned, blank look on his face, as he had never seen such a scene. Although he was only able to see her head and shoulders through the slightly murky, blue water. Her long chocolate-colored hair dancing on the surface of the water.

 

She just kept smiling as she was bobbing in the river. Hector was confused as to why she felt comfortable enough for such an act. Questions were swirling around his mind as to why. “What are you do-” His words cut off, as Hope said, “Turn around, I’m coming out.” He then stumbled to the other side of the deck almost tripping over his clumsy feet.

 

“Keep your eyes closed.” She said as she climbed aboard. Wearing nothing but her undergarments, which were no doubt translucent from the water. Hector averted his eyes, being taught the many protocols of gentlemanship. But as he had never come across a girl as beautiful as Hope, nor someone so free with their body, he became gripped with the urge to turn around. Knowing what scene was taking place behind him, he could not resist anymore without having a look.

 

He then turned his head towards her. Then suddenly, the pain of a needle, pierced through his left eye, the eye that had caused his moral downfall. For it was a moral downfall. When one gives you even an ounce of trust, it must be protected as though made of glass. For one’s trust can shatter, never to be repaired. Although normally one is faced with the repercussions of breaking ones trust, but Hector was faced with an even greater repercussion. Hector fell to the ground, partly to do with agony, partly to do with shame, as Hope realized that he was looking at her. His eye stinging with the most unbearable pain imaginable, like being cut out with a blunt and rusty dagger.

 

Hope was startled at the commotion that was occurring as Hector thrashed about on the deck. She stood there frightened as she clasped her blouse covering her body. But soon the pain settled as shame took its place. Hector pointed to the hatch to the lower deck, and told her, “There’s towels in the cupboard. And clean clothes. I’m sorry.”

 

Hector could sense the betrayal, disappointment and loss of trust as she moved below deck without a word.

 

Hector looked at his reflection in the water as he slumped his head over the edge of the boat. His left eye was large and discolored. It was no longer his eye, but one of a monster. Hector was now victim to the curse. However, he wondered, what was worse? The curse, or his corruptible mind. The curse only seems to highlight his moments of folly, and perhaps that is all that the curse is.

 

About an hour later, Hope finally ventured outside, although she had to at some point. The uncomfortable shame of the previous event, caused Hector to look away, and offer her his coat. She was wearing some clothes that she found below deck. (Only a button-up shirt and some dark pants.) But they were not warm enough being on the water. The boat was full of clothes and such, but they weren't all Hector’s size. The people of Tammerville, didn’t go to much effort when filling with supplies for his journey.

 

She gave Hector a nod of gratitude, as she pulled on his ex-guard coat. For she was cold and Hector’s jacket warm. He could tell that she was a bit confused as to how to react to him. Weather she could trust him or not.

 

“I’m not a bad guy.” He said. “I apologize for looking, I don’t know what came over me. I’m sorry.”

 

Hope just puffed up the collar of the jacket, as she stared overboard. A reaction that was expected. However she was grateful for the coat. For there was quite a brisk breeze blowing through the canyon.

 

Many more silent hours went by. The only words spoken, were from Hope saying, “You can let me off when we get to River-ton.”

Hector was deep in regret but was in no position to argue.

 

Soon they made their way towards River-ton, but, instead of the famously beautiful river which the town is named after, the waters were to the contrary: dirty and murky.

 

The landscape here was quite different than that of the steep cliffs of the canyon region they had passed through the day prior, and had been growing so, the last couple of hours. The steep walls which cradled the river had seemingly sunk into the ground and the land that now followed the river was low and had opened into a forest, with trees on either side, whose long green branches dangled into the water. Further into the region of River-ton, the plant life seemed to get more and more twisted and overgrown. Hector had been to River-ton once before, but even to a stranger, it was clear to see that this was not normal. Hector looked towards Hope and asked, “What do you make of that?” A dense and fertile forest is one thing, but when two and even three trees are twisting upon each other, fighting for the same plot of land, that is another.

Hope didn’t respond, she just continued to stare in the direction they were heading, ignoring his question.

 

Finally, in the dimming of the afternoon, they reached the town of River-ton. River-ton was built upon the Crystal River which sends the fresh water from the ever-melting northern alpine peaks, into the ocean. Which was only an hour ride down the river from River-ton. River-ton could easily enough be described as simply, a fishing village. It was mostly self-sufficient but exported its sea life to towns such as Tammerville.

 

But as Hector and Hope crept their way down the motionless river, they noticed that the town was completely overgrown with harsh plant-life. Trees and plants, and ferns and vines, especially vines had grown throughout the streets and buildings, as though strangling it. It looked as though the town had been abandoned and left to be claimed by the surrounding forest. Hector and Hope were both overtaken by a wave of nervousness, at the uneasy silence of the town.

Just then, as they were slowly hovering beside the dock, the boat shook side to side, as if they had perhaps hit something underneath. But as Hector looked around, he saw, in the corner of the boat, a small child, hidden behind a crate used to store the anchor. It was a boy. He was shivering and wet. The boy must have just jumped aboard.

 

 

Part 2: The Gloom Falling Empire of Jessy the Kid:

Hope ran toward him, with the natural born instinct of motherhood, being a woman seeing a child in need. She dried him off and comforted the small boy. Hector looked at the boy as he stood there being groomed. He was wearing what looked to be the outfit of a medieval king or something. He had a crimson tunic with a wooden sword in his golden sash. He even had a little iron crown which was painted yellow. He looked frightened, but also brave. Or at least trying to be brave.

 

Hope knelt down to meet him in the eye, and asked, “What’s your name?”

 

In a soft spoken voice, the boy said, “Jessy.”

 

Hector then approached the boy and said. “Hi Jessy, I’m Hector.” Unsure of what else to say, he could see that the boy liked swords, so Hector showed him his cutlass. “Pretty cool don’t you think?” Hector said, as he handed him the weapon.

 

Jessy’s eyes lit up at the sight of such a sword. Jessy motioned that he wanted to hold it, so Hector gave it to him saying, “Careful, it’s heavy.” But it was too heavy for the young boy to hold.

 

“Where are your parents?” Hector asked.

 

Jessy replied, “They are asleep.” But Hector didn’t like the sound of that.

Motioning towards the rest of the town Hector asked, “What about everyone else?”

 

“They were all asleep as well.” Said the boy.

 

It was plain to Hector that there was something bad at play, and Hector assumed it had something to do with the plants. (Which seemed to be quite an obvious assumption.)

 

After Hector anchored the boat, he jumped out of the boat onto the land. “It feels good being on solid ground again.” Hector said, relieved to be off the boat.

 

Hector was unsure of what awaited them in this desolate ghost town, and so said, “I think the three of us should stick together. I have these.” He said, motioning to his sword and pistol. “It’d be safer if you both stay with me.”

 

They ventured through the city streets, desolate and cold. By this time it started to rain. Hector asked Jessy, “Where is your home?” Jessy pointed off in one direction. “Can you lead the way?” Jessy nodded then dashed off down the debris filled street.

 

After some time of weaving through streets and alleyways bounding over large plant roots and pieces of fallen down buildings, trying to keep up to the nimble, light-footed boy, they finally reached Jessy’s home. There Hector saw a sign written as if from a child saying. The land of King Jessy.

 

It was written on the wall in blue paint. ‘How long has this boy been living alone? ‘Hector wondered, as he had not seen another soul. They made their way into the building, and entered the room which Jessy’s parents were said to be.

 

As Hector creaked open the old vine-covered door, he saw two people lying on the ground. They were covered in plants. Hector went in to get a closer look. These people, Jessy’s parents, were completely entangled in roots. It seemed that some of the twisted branches were piercing into the bodies of the limp people. Almost as though they were sucking nutrients from them.

They looked as if they were dead, but when Hector reached out and touched one of them, they were still warm. Strangely, they were still alive.

 

Jessy went in and clutched the head of his mother, and said, “Mother, I have brought some friends over, is it alright if they stay a little?”

 

Hector conferred with Hope about Jessy and this town, concerning what had happened. He said, “Something must have caused this, and it must have happened fast, how else would these people get entangled. I assume that this has happened all over town as well.”

 

Hope agreed with him, and said, “We can’t let Jessy stay here.”

 

“Yes, we will have to take him with us.” Hector replied, happy that Hope was talking to him again.

 

This was a dreadful circumstance, far more terrible and fantastical than anything Hector could ever imagine: A town taken over by plants, a city in comatose. Hector wondered what had caused this, and so took a look around town.

 

As Hector made his way through the mangled streets, he saw many people in the same state as Jessy’s parents, appearing to be dead and unresponsive, but still warm and with a pulse. He began to follow some of the larger roots, to see where they led. Eventually, Hector had tracked them out of town, where he saw the roots stretch across the land, towards the southern region.

 

Hector returned to Hope and the boy, who were still at Jessy’s home, and told of his findings. After a sit-down and some food, they sat by the fireplace in the hearth of the building, that Hope had lit, and concluded that this must be the work of the southern region, the place of the cause of the black clouds. Although they had no idea what was causing this or why. Hector also began to wonder how long ago this had happened. It seemed that Jessy has been on his own for a while. He seems quite attuned to being alone, and he has had enough time to create an imaginary kingdom. But this was no place for a child's game.

 

Hector was unsure what would happen if they unhooked the people from the plants, and being afraid of accidentally killing the people, he thought it best to leave them be, for at the moment, they were still alive.

 

He then said, “I’m going south, beyond the mountains. The route back will be safe. Hope, this is my quest, I don’t want to drag you back into danger, especially since you have just escaped from its clutches not long ago. Jessy needs someone to look after him.”

 

Hope was shocked, saying, “You’re going alone? Why?”

 

“What kind of world would we live in if there was no one to contend evil.” Hector said, causing Hope to become speechless.

 

Hector certainly didn’t want anything bad to happen to his new friends. “Take my boat, and don’t waste any time, go to Tammerville.” He also instructed. “Find the mayor of Tammerville, and tell him of our findings. Then find my sister, for a place to stay.” Hope was stunned to hear such generosity, but Hector felt that he owed it to her.

 

Turning toward the young boy, witnessing him shivering, with a towel over his shoulders, Hector asked, “Does he not have any dry clothes?”

 

Hope responded, “I tried to get him to change out of those wet clothes, but he was obstinate and determined to keep his knight costume.”

 

“King!” The boy shouted, “I’m a king.” He said, sitting by the fireplace.

 

“A king?” Said Hector. “Then what of your kingdom?” He smiled.

 

Jessy looked downcast. “It has been taken over.” He then looked back up to Hector and asked, “Will you help take back my kingdom?”

 

Hector smiled, “Of course. I will do what I can.”

 

Young Jessy shot up and jumped up and down in complete and utter jubilation. “Yes! Yes! I knew it! I knew you would help!”

 

The three in the room all smiled and laughed.

 

Hope was reluctant to go and leave Hector to venture into unknown danger alone, but she knew that she should look after Jessy, and see him to safety. Hector grabbed his backpack and some supplies, along with his wind-up electric lantern, then watched as they left the dock and travelled back up the river.

 

What a fool am I? I’d scarcely want to write down my wrong doings. All I will say, is I have destroyed what possible relationship I could have had with Hope. What am I talking about?

I just met the woman. Still, I am a fool. If there is a silver lining in all this, it is that I have realized that there is a connection with the curse and one’s morality. To what extent, I cannot say at this stage. But a new revelation has shown itself, as we reached River-ton. I’ve only been there once before, but it’s simple to see, even to a stranger, that the extensive plant-life is not normal. The town is in comatose. I’m not sure of the connection with the situation at River-ton and the curse plaguing Tammerville, but it’s awfully coincidental that the two have emerged at the same time. Also within River-ton, we found a young boy named Jessy. I’m not sure how he survived, but I’d very much like to see him reunited with his family. I’ll be moving my investigation towards the Southern region. I have suspicions that it is connected.



© 2015 Aaron 'Aar0Head' Thorne


Author's Note

Aaron 'Aar0Head' Thorne
Read and enjoy
leave a comment.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
Added on July 12, 2015
Last Updated on July 12, 2015
Tags: fantasy, science fiction, fiction, adventure, journey, steampunk


Author

Aaron 'Aar0Head' Thorne
Aaron 'Aar0Head' Thorne

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia



About
About me. Well I am a writer. I am 23 years old and have been writing for the last 3 years, though I have loved the idea of writing for most of my life. As a child I always had a deep imagination, and.. more..

Writing