Five Minus two

Five Minus two

A Chapter by Aaron 'Aar0Head' Thorne
"

Chapter 6: Hector continues his journey, that leads him in a forest, there, after escaping death, meets the strangest and most mysterious man he has ever met.

"

CHAPTER 6

Five minus Two

 

It had been a while since leaving River-ton. Hector was dropped off on the western bank of the Crystal River, where he traveled south. And Hope sailed North with the young boy Jessy, toward Tammerville. As Hector entered the thicket of the forest, making his way south, past the mountains, he wondered if Hope had reached Tammerville yet. It was only a short trip by boat, so he assumed they would almost be there by now.

 

 Hopefully, they have had no troubles on their journey, and have found the Mayor, and explained what had happened to River-ton.’ Hector thought. Hector then stopped by a fallen redwood where he sat on the trunk and had a break. For he had been walking non-stop for three hours after the sun had risen, and two before. ‘It must have been a horrifying experience for the people of River-ton to have been attacked by plants. Large roots that must have moved swiftly than they, stopping everyone in their tracks. Everyone except Jessy, that is. I wonder if there were any other survivors.’ Hector thought.

 

He was quite puzzled as to why they did not attack them when they arrived. If for whatever reason, they attacked all the people of River-ton, and somehow subdued them, yet they lay dormant when Hector and Hope were there.

 

But when he had caught his breath, and his body temperature was beginning to fall in the cold air of the morning, he figured it was best to continue his journey. The morning was still young, the air still crisp and icy, making it easier to travel. The golden morning light reflected off the moist leaves of the canopy, and highlighted the soft mist that floated along the valley floor. Hector stopped and stood for a while, taking in the moment. Breathing in the brisk air. He felt that he was at the beginning of a great adventure, excitement filled his heart. ‘Well, I’d best be on my way.’ He thought.

 

Before separating, Hector had been told by Hope that this forest would make its way through the valley between two mountains. “Mt Heiel is on the eastern side, and Goelyilin on the western side.” She said. Knowing this meant traveling between the slopes, would lead through the valley, and out the other side of the forest, past the mountains.

 

“This is the only break in what is essentially a wall of mountainous earth.” She said, “But do not wander too far west, for those who dwell in the mountains of Goelyilin are not too fond of strangers.”

 

Eventually, evening was approaching, for the third day since Hector entered the forest. The forest was abnormally overgrown, which made travel painfully slow. The overpowering sense of claustrophobia was ever present, as Hector was surrounded by tall, intimidating trees, which felt as though they were closing in on him. He could no longer feel any breeze, and as Hector entered the center, the forest became very humid.

 

Ever since entering this forest, Hector keep his lantern turned on. It was not a very subtle thing to do, but he assumed his presence was already known. It was that feeling you get when you can sense someone watching you, even if you can’t see anyone.  The lantern’s gentle hum was also quite soothing, and took the edge off Hector’s nerves. Also, it was almost impossible to tell the difference between day and night, due to some lingering, black clouds that appeared on the last day.

 

As evening fell, Hector found a place to rest. It had a natural wall of trees that curved together, which felt inviting. Well, more so than the rugged terrain he’d been traversing the last couple of days. By this time he was so exhausted, his nerves were no match for the desire to sleep. So he sat down, and rested his head on a pile of thick grass, under an old oak tree, where not even the thousand noises of the haunting woods, or that constant feeling of being watched, could keep him up. He fell asleep.

 

During his slumber, Hector had a dream. He was in a park, on a quaint summers afternoon, there was a gentle breeze running through the air. He was sitting on a park bench, just enjoying the scene, watching the trees sway from side to side, almost in a slow motion fashion. Listening to the birds sing along with the rustling of the leaves.

 

All of a sudden, Hope was there. She sat down next to him, right next to him. She was sitting right up against him, so close in fact, he could feel her body heat, which was warm and soothing. He thought he was invading her personal space, for he sat in the middle of the bench. He was just about to slide over and give her some room, but she put her arm around him and leaned her head on his shoulder. Hector wanted to ask what was happening, but he felt at peace, everything felt right, so he just kept quiet. That was until he woke up.

 

Hector wondered what had woken him up from his deep slumber. He rubbed his eyes and looked around. His surroundings looked different as though the forest had changed, similarly to the shifting sands of the desert. He felt many eyes on him and he began to panic, as fear of the unknown swept over him like a tidal wave. He felt as though there were many shadowy figures standing all around him, but could not see the origin of these shadows. It was just a feeling. He quickly grabbed his backpack and lantern, which was still switched on, and ran. Judging on how dim the lantern was, he knew that he was asleep for at least a couple of hours. After about three hours, it would run out of energy, and cease to work. Well at least until you wind up the generator again.

 

Hector just knew that something was foul within these woods and now, he was to find out what. He began hearing the rustling of leaves and creaking of branches as though there was a tornado in the forest, although he could not see very far. It seemed to be well into the night, for all was dark, and his lantern was not very bright. The torrent of sound got louder and louder as it got closer. Hector began to run, but he could not out run it.

 

As he was sprinting through the overgrown forest, weaving between trees, clipping small branches, and doing his upmost not to slip or trip as his panicked stride took him at great pace, he saw the twisting tangle of roots and vines pursuing him from either side, highlighted by the dim, yellow light of his lantern.

 

 Suddenly the very ground from underneath his feet was alive and attacking him, as though he was some kind of enemy. Eventually, Hector lost his footing, and fell to the ground, sliding on the damp, undergrowth and mud. He tried to scramble himself to his feet, but it was too late, the plants had got him. Roots and vines began wrapping themselves around each of his limbs. A larger branch wrapped around his waist, and lifted him into the air. The vine reached underneath his backpack and ripped it off, as if the straps were made of a single length of string. The bag came crashing to the ground, his lantern smashing on the impact. All of a sudden, the ground beneath Hector was engulfed in flames. It seemed that these trees and vines, were working as some kind of defense mechanism, or trap. The roots began to pull and tug on his limbs, as though it intended to tear him in half. Hector was completely helpless, and he began thinking that his time was up, and that he would die.

 

But just then, the most unexpected thing happened. A man appeared, he was wearing a tattered cloak stitched together from various animal furs, and he had a hood covering most of he’s face. He motioned to the plants, and they stood down, and smothered the flames, then put Hector back on the ground. Not a moment too soon, as his left shoulder was about to dislocate.

 

“Who are you?” Hector asked in astonishment.

 

“I am one of them, one of five.” He said plainly.

 

But before Hector could ask another question, he shushed him and said. “You should kill me, but you won’t. There is one other like me, you should find him, and he will tell you everything you need to know.”

 

As strangely as he appeared, he disappeared into the overgrowth. Hector wanted to follow him and ask more questions, but the way was impenetrable. He sat down on an old fallen down tree and began to think about what the man had said. ‘Whoever this guy was, there was five of them, yet there was one like him. What does that mean?’ He just sat, pondering for a while. That was until, he felt a strong breeze. A breeze as though it was not obscured by miles of trees. Hector then headed to the direction of the wind. It felt quite different to the humid, moisture-filled air from within the forest. ‘This must be the way out!’  Hector welcomed whatever was outside of these woods, as they would be a welcome change to being inside the forest.

 

He approached the edge of the trees, and looked out at what was before him. It seemed that these woods had led him all the way between the mountains. ‘I must now be in the southern region.’ Hector thought, relieved, peering through the outlying alders of the forest.

 

He continued on his way, as he wanted to get as far away as possible from those stalking woods. Adrenaline still pulsing through his body.  He could see the river. Hector thought to himself, ‘If only I still had my boat, I would have saved so much time, and completely bypass the forest, it would have been a total cakewalk to get here. Nevertheless, I did the right thing, giving away my boat. And perhaps, there was a purpose to entering the woods, and meeting that strange man. I guess time will tell.’

 

After washing his face and getting a drink from the river, Hector decided to follow it. ‘Just my luck.’ Hector thought as it led to a waterfall. However, he could see for miles. He could see the stream slither across the land. Until it reached the ocean. And next to the water was a city. Not just any city either, it was of a grand scale. Hector was amazed that there was a city out here. ‘According to our records, at Tammerville, there should be nothing but desert out here. This city must have been built in record time, and by secret.’ And what was supposed to be desert, was the opposite. A lush fertile land, blooming with trees and covered in a beautiful layer of emerald green grass, swaying in the gentle night breeze.

 

Am I perhaps lost?’ Hector thought. ‘How can the Tammerville records be so wrong?’ But when he saw the direction of the setting sun, he knew he was facing the right direction.

 

Days have passed since my last entry, however I feel I cannot begin to explain my findings. In fact, I can barely believe them myself. I’ve been traveling through the Southern forest, the one which forms a barrier between our land and the southern region. And I have had a brush with death, as I was chased and about to be ripped apart from the very trees themselves. But I was saved by a man, some sort of wandering bushman or something. He said, ‘I am one of five, but there - one like me, who you must find.’ I am certain that there is a connection between the trees at River-ton, and this man. But what exactly? I don’t know.



© 2015 Aaron 'Aar0Head' Thorne


Author's Note

Aaron 'Aar0Head' Thorne
read, and enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

346 Views
Added on July 28, 2015
Last Updated on July 28, 2015
Tags: adventure, forest, fantasy, science fiction, fiction, machine, called, earth


Author

Aaron 'Aar0Head' Thorne
Aaron 'Aar0Head' Thorne

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia



About
About me. Well I am a writer. I am 23 years old and have been writing for the last 3 years, though I have loved the idea of writing for most of my life. As a child I always had a deep imagination, and.. more..

Writing