The Home Tree

The Home Tree

A Story by papaed
"

A little bio about our nest.

"

 In 1900, horse drawn wagons climbed the mature apple tree-lined 1 mile long dirt path as pickers scoured the trees for sellable apples.  The path climbed a north facing slope from the county road called Red Bridge, named after the old steel bridge that crosses the Blue River near where the Santa Fe trail left the Kansas City area on it’s southerly route.

 

The path through the orchard topped the hill headed south and followed the ridge one mile to another county road which came to be known as Longview Rd.  One of the wealthiest men in the midwest, a lumberman named Robert Long owned over a thousand acres on Longview Rd. where he built his country home and horse farm. 

 

The apple orchard fell into disrepair and in the 1920s, 1 acre or bigger lots were sold off for homes.  

 

A large shingle oak tree near that path was large enough to save.  Over the next 20 years as lots were sold and homes were built the tree was protected.

 

In the 1950s a young girl, living some blocks away in a poorer area, developed a habit of riding her bicycle down the tree-lined tunnel called Orchard Rd.  She admired the houses and manicured lots and hedges and dreamed of her future.  This was where the “rich” people lived.

 

That little girl moved away and became my lovely wife.  In the first 25 years of our marriage, we had 27 addresses.  I moved her and my two children too often.  Then, after selling a business in a rural town, we decided to move back to Kansas City and we put our things into storage.  After a few months of settling into my new business venture, my wife called me to say she’d “found our house.”

 

She took me to look at a beautiful house on Orchard Rd..  As we approached the property, I was immediately struck by the number of enormous deciduous trees arching over the street with crowns touching.  On a hot day, the air was cool and rich feeling.  

 

The largest tree along the road sits just 2 ft. from the edge of the blacktop.  Its 9 1/2 foot circumference is magnificent and stately.  Across the yard, sitting on one acre was an early ranch style home with a three car carriage house behind.  It’s stained trim, fireplace, 2 1/2 baths and real plaster walls made it a beautiful and quiet refuge from the rest of the world. 

 

Over 40 trees along the perimeter of it’s back yard and a manicured park-like empty lot across the street created an atmosphere that felt like living in the country.  A dream of my wife’s from childhood became our dream home.

 

Today, I sit on my old fashioned covered front porch in wicker and look out at blooming Hostas, at a mature Lady Eden climbing rose trellis up the side of the porch, and at old fashioned purple phlox spreading for 40 ft..  No car passes for half an hour.  Song birds greet the morning as the sun lights the top branches of our towering shingle oak tree.  I smile, take a fragrant breath, sip my coffee and greet another blessed day.  

© 2008 papaed


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

oh I just salivate here in the high desert, looking out at stark brown mountains tinged with austere white....paved parking lots and buildings - and dusty ground. (sighs at Hostas) This is beautifully written and makes me long for that vista - that peace...that eludes me 24/7

Posted 16 Years Ago


This was a very vivid image to read. Anyone who needs help writing great scenes should gander at this piece.

Thanks Papa Ed.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 18, 2008

Author

papaed
papaed

Kansas City, MO



About
no erudite pontifications, no complex extrapolations no intentional hurtful lies, just simple age-wise aliteration and prose, of a man who's in the throes of living day to day from his head down to.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Flame Flame

A Poem by Fran Marie