Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Earl F.
"

If I had ever been here before I would probably know just what to do. Don't you? ~ Crosby, Stills & Nash - "Déjà vu"

"

My wife has never liked dark windows shades in the bedroom.  Even though it was Saturday, the sunlight shining brightly through the panes at the incredibly rude hour of 6:00 am is what woke me up.  Actually, I am ‘blessed’ to wake up this same way every morning, weekend or not.  The difference today is that my daughter is getting married.  That thought brought a big smile to my face even as I was still emerging from a wonderful night’s rest.  I rolled over, kissed the sleeping mother of the bride and then made my way downstairs to start coffee and feed the dogs.


Ahead of me on the staircase my two mutts raced down like a couple of greyhounds at Orange Park.  By the time I got to the front door they had worked each other up into such frenzy that I was sure the entire neighborhood would soon be awake.   With deference to Jerry Sienfield, it was time to ‘release the hounds’.  As I watched the dogs chase after a squirrel a strange sensation came over me.  It was a feeling that might best be compared to watching a movie that you know you've seen before, but cannot remember a thing about.  After a few seconds of wonder and a slight bit of confusion I shrugged my shoulders, filed the thought away and started the morning coffee.


With the dogs back inside and their collective appetite satisfied I sat down at the dinner table with my first cup of coffee.  Again the sensation returned.  This time I recognized it for what it was.  I felt like I had already lived this day once before; Déjà vu. Then the phone rang.  I said hello and was startled by the excited tone of the caller.  “Hi Papa Bear! I’m getting married today!”  My daughter’s voice was wonderful to hear, but again the sensation appeared and its meaning became keenly clear to me.  This could not possibly be her wedding day.  My daughter was murdered a little over a year ago.



© 2014 Earl F.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on April 14, 2014
Last Updated on April 14, 2014


Author

Earl F.
Earl F.

Lancaster, PA



About
My passion is music and science fiction. I am the program director for my own internet radio broadcast - EMix! Radio (www.EMixRadio.us). I have always wanted to write SF short stories. Now, I am .. more..

Writing