Justin's Helpmate

Justin's Helpmate

A Poem by Eddie Phillips
"

A lot of men gave almost everthing serving their country. It is a wonderful feeling to come home and have a woman willing to be there for you.

"

 

 

 

Today was Justin's wedding day but doubt was turning in his soul.
He was giving his heart to his bride Annie but he didn't feel whole.
He stood uncomfortably at the end of the aisle leaning heavily on his cane.
He had lost both his legs in Afghanistan and he had never felt the same.
When Annie came down the aisle tears began to run down Justin's eyes.
Annie walked up and wiped his face and asked what had made him cry.
Justin said:  I wanted to come home to you a complete and whole man.
Instead I am here leaning on this cane; broken and barely able to stand.
Annie leaned in really close and unceremoniously kissed his trembling lips.
She bent down to the floor and ran her hands softly up his false legs to his hips.
She said:  Justin I feel only you.  I don't see your cane or care about any false legs.

I see the man I will always love.  The one who returned to me from the dead.
I chose to come down this ailse to be with you; my loving and courageous man.
Baby, you may have lost your legs but I will ALWAYS be here to help you stand.

© 2015 Eddie Phillips


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a lovely tale of love is blind but in the most positive way possible. The mutual inter-dependence of the couple shines through
"The one who returned to me from the dead" - says so much about their journey in one line - which is inspired Eddie.
The image confused me for a second since the girl has the crutch but on reflection she is 'his crutch' so it kind of fits like a shoe-horned jigsaw puzzle piece into the whole ensemble.
I like what you did here E.P.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a lovely tale of love is blind but in the most positive way possible. The mutual inter-dependence of the couple shines through
"The one who returned to me from the dead" - says so much about their journey in one line - which is inspired Eddie.
The image confused me for a second since the girl has the crutch but on reflection she is 'his crutch' so it kind of fits like a shoe-horned jigsaw puzzle piece into the whole ensemble.
I like what you did here E.P.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 4, 2015
Last Updated on March 4, 2015
Tags: Justin's Helpmate

Author

Eddie Phillips
Eddie Phillips

Denver, CO



About
Writer, Scholar, Martial Artist, Poet, etc. I write everything. Whatever is on my heart comes through my pen. I do not limit myself to only write what I think. I write what I feel. I write a lot .. more..

Writing