BASTIONS OR OPPRESSORS OF FREEDOM

BASTIONS OR OPPRESSORS OF FREEDOM

A Poem by Eddie Phillips
"

I will simply let this poem speak for me and how I feel. Agree or disagree I thank all of you that take the time to read it.

"


Is this the land of the undaunted free that we have always claimed it to be?
Is this the land of immigrant's hope that we claimed was shaped by destiny?
Today we mitigate the migrants and twist fleeing refugees in our political wind.
No, this does not seem like the country that was to be the bastion for all free men.
Self-motivated religious hysteria turns positive intentions to exclusionist jeers.
Politicians ominous religious demagoguery take hold of our worst prejudices and fears.
We seem to have forgotten the need to hold those we love safe and near.
We ignore the whimpering children and the parents that hold them in tears.
Children have washed up on shores, innocents have been shot and torn to shreds.
We choose to ignore the destitute cries of those who mourn over their dead.
Where is our American claim for freedom to the whole of mankind?
Have our values been abandoned to a warped ethnocentric mind?
We have always rescued refugees to save them from unduly harm.
However, today when we hear they are Muslim we sound off bigoted inner alarms.
It is human to be fearful, but that is not where any American wants to stay.
If America only held to fear, there would be no one free in this country today.
The lot of human decency should never be solely dependant on simple need.
That takes away from its compassion and gives sway to ego and greed.
The loss of compassion and understanding leads to the suffering of the soul.
When bigotry decides decency, it will leave many alone and unwhole.
Americans need to fix their minds back on freedom and let hope draw us near.
Only then can we be motivated by our values and greet everyone without fear.
When we remove our bias, the world will seem like a different place.
We will see people as people, absent of religion, sex, and race.
We won't see maledicted Muslim families plotting/praying on bended knees.
We will see them as melancholy refugee families that simply desire to be free.
Is this the land of freedom that we sing about in our songs?
Is this the land of our forefathers where our diversity made us strong?
When America turns away the afflicted that simply ask to be set free:
We turn away from our promise and side with the oppressors of hope and decency.

© 2015 Eddie K. Phillips

© 2015 Eddie Phillips


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
Added on November 21, 2015
Last Updated on November 21, 2015
Tags: BASTIONS OR OPPRESSORS OF FREEDO

Author

Eddie Phillips
Eddie Phillips

Denver, CO



About
Writer, Scholar, Martial Artist, Poet, etc. I write everything. Whatever is on my heart comes through my pen. I do not limit myself to only write what I think. I write what I feel. I write a lot .. more..

Writing