Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Elizabeth McCready

Beth had visited Chaess multiple times in the days following his incident, she had brought him food, water, anything he'd asked for. She had even stayed behind from battle to tend to her friend. He was still pale, he was still in pain, but Beth was starting to believe that he would be okay. She was sitting at his side when the healer entered the large room in the Commons where they had set up a temporary bed for Chaess to stay in; they hadn't wanted him to be stuffed in one of the cabin bunks. Her eyes were heavy with exhaustion from the endless hours she'd spent at Chaess's side.

"Beth?" She raised her head to the man dressed in white.

"Yes, I'm Beth."

"Your team explained what happened, even Chaess shared a bit, this wasn't your fault." The man said without shifting an eye to her as he began working on Chaess. "How long have you been with him?"

"I-I don't know. Some time last night, I haven't left since." She said pushing her hair from her face.

"Have you gotten sleep?"

"No, he needs rest and someone to stay with him. I just need him to be okay." The healer then looked to her.

"I don't think your team would appreciate the loss of two of their fighters." Beth looked back, a bit of shame towered over her. "Exhaustion and war do not make the best combination."

"I'm not going to leave him." The healer put down his tools and sat next to Beth.

"This isn't your fault, and it is not your problem to fix. Right now, I am giving him all the care and companionship he needs. I am going to ask you politely once, but after that, grace will no longer be in the matter. You need to dismiss yourself, and I need to work to save your friend."

Beth narrowed her eyes, looking from Chaess to the healer. Slowly she rose from her chair, she didn't want to leave. But, she obeyed the healer. She could hardly walk, much less make the trek to her cabin though it wasn't too far. She instead walked to the stables where she curled up in the corner of her stall and fell asleep quicker than she had ever before.

*~*

Beth woke to the sight of Noeh shaking her body senseless. Tears streaming down his face, before he said a word. She knew. She'd killed Chaess Belleza.

She couldn't even hear what Noeh was sobbing, the world was moving in slow motion, she couldn't hear, she couldn't speak she couldn't moved. She felt the world being sucked out of her, she felt the heart in her chest shattering into a million irrecoverable pieces. The world was a blurr. Her arms and legs refused to listen to her mind. She was overwhelmed with a whirlwind of thousands of different emotions, each nailing into her like rocks and knives. She felt strange things deep inside her bones, things that ached to come out. For some reason, she wanted to let them out, part of her felt like she was supposed to. But the grief overwhelmed her. She fought every last urge to snap Noeh's neck for bearing such news to her. Even though she knew it wasn't his fault- it was hers. She was so angry at herself, she knew she should've stayed with Chaess. Beth's entire body shook, she knew she needed something. She needed help, she needed-- She didn't even know what she needed, not until he came.

*~*

Once Noeh had told him where to find Beth, Ander couldn't control his body from sprinting to the stables where Beth's emotionless body lay in a mess of straw and pine shavings. There were tears streaming down her face, but she wasn't crying, not that he could tell. Her face looked as though it had been turn to stone, as though she had reached her point of no return. He slowly moved to her, and brushed a thumb across her cheek. Death. Death had torn her spirit, her loving, adventurous, beautiful spirit. She had been destroyed by the death and betrayal of most of her family, all she had was her mother. And now, here death was, clawing its black, cold hands through her life once again. His Beth-- she was being destroyed more again.

 "Beth," He whispered to her, her eyes lifted, emotion filling her face like the air filled her lungs the night she surfaced on the lake. She sobbed, her face distorted, he could tell that there were more emotions than he was even aware of going through her. Despite how much he wanted to run, he pulled her body close. She hid her face in his chest, the emotions pouring out of her like a hurricane, she cried until she couldn't bare to cry any longer.

"He's dead." She cried under breath.

"I know," He said softly stroking her hair and holding her close. "I know."

"Ander," She sobbed, he pulled her closer.

"It's okay, you're going to be okay."

"I need to see him." She shook from his grip, "I need to see him!" She screamed.

"Beth, you don't want to see him like that." He tried to calm her.

"Please." He stared into her tear filled eyes, he saw the utter desperation that now consumed her. He stood from his spot and offered a hand to her. Together they walked from the stables to a hole on the edge of the forest far from where they had visited before. Ander looked to Beth who was observing the body in the ground with her red-rimmed eyes. She stopped walking and dropped to her knees, staring at the lifeless corpse of her friend lying before her.  Around her stood the rest of her team, but she didn't even notice. Beth was too focused, on the boy in the grave, the boy who had been hurt on her watch, died because she couldn't save him. She blamed herself.

Flashbacks flooded her mind with all the few memories she had with and of Chaess Belleza. Her body was like stone, unable to move. Her heart felt as if it was being crushed beneath the weight of the entire world that had been nothing short of cruel to her for those past few years. She sat, unmovable until finally, her body unleashed all of her pain and strife in a long array of screams. The startled boys huddled around her. She felt two bodies against hers, but didn't bother to look to see who, her body crumbled in their arms. Her screams hollowed into vicious sobs, still held by the two boys, she gathered a fist full of earth that had been dug to make room for Chaess's lifeless body and threw it with every ounce of power she could muster into the hole that would forever haunt her memory.

*~*

Noeh squeezed his eyes shut as he and Ander tried to move Beth from her spot aside their dead comrade. He knew her better than he had known anyone, and to see her in that kind of pain was torture. He was well aware that she could rip all of them to shreds in a matter of seconds if she so desired. She was the best warrior he had ever faced. Beth was a force; a force that no one had dared to oppose. He sometimes wondered if she was capable of more than she let on.

Her body shuddered and trembled as they pulled her further and further away from the grave. Noeh figured they would bring her back when it was time to give Chaess honor through a warriors farewell ceremony. Usually, the ceremonies would consist of two commanders in the infantry, one male and one female, sing a tributary song. Considering the circumstance, Noeh was unsure of how that would result.

"The stables." Ander grunted as Beth fought against his grip.

"What about them?" Noeh asked.

"That's where I found her, we can take her there until she calms down."

"Why not the commons?"

"Because," Ander started with obvious irritation. "Stables are comforting for her and she won't be bombarded."

Noeh went along with Ander's suggestion, though he wasn't entirely thrilled with the idea that Ander could just waltz in and assume he knows better for Beth. Noeh was there when Ander was not. Ander left her, he hurt her. And Noeh comforted her, he helped her through it, he listened to her. Beth never cried, not in front of anyone but Noeh. Ander hurt her. He had no right to swoop in like some knight and steal her heart away.

*~*

Ander guided Noeh into Beth's chosen stall and gently set the sobbing girl on the ground. She stayed, wiping the tears from her eyes with the same bloodstained suit she's worn the day before.

"I'm sorry." She managed.

"Don't apologize," Noeh said kneeling beside her. Ander laid a hand on his shoulder and nodded his head, looking at Beth one last time.

"I am going to plan the ceremony, if you need me she will know where to find me." He swallowed a sob as he bolted from the stables. He sprinted through bushes, around trees, under branches, and over roots and fallen trees until he reached the very spot him and Beth had spoken for the first time in this now familiar place. Ander dropped to his knees and cried out with all the pain and anger this day had burdened him with. Losing one of his men, facing the anger of Quinn and Peitre when they heard of Chaess's fate, but mostly Beth. Seeing Beth like that again was the worst experience imaginable, behind the first time. The first time. Kallide. The very thought of losing Beth's older sister sent a shudder down his spine. Beth was no more than twelve years old when her sister was murdered by a Dumar man during a village raid. That was at the beginning of this war. A war that Ander and Beth had every intention of winning. Kallide hadn't yet turned eighteen when that swine stole her life from her. Kallide's death devastated Beth, and Ander couldn't even imagine what it must've been like to be in her place. Ander gathered himself, brushing the dirt and debris from his knees, and walked out of the woods leaving nothing but tears in his wake.

Ander planned Chaess's ceremony, though it was not easy. He'd grown so close to his team, and having to burry one of them was something he hadn't wanted to think about. The first few deaths hadn't even been entirely difficult, he hadn't even learned their names. For that, he felt awful. He was finishing the speech of remembrance when he eyed an approaching silhouette. He was surprised to see that Noeh had his furious eyes fixed on Ander.

"She asked for you." Noeh grumbled.

"Thanks, could you look over this? It's for Chaess's ceremony."

"Whatever." Noeh grabbed hold of the paper, Ander gripping his arm and yanking him closer.

"Cut this act, or I will cut you." He promised.

"What about your act, Ander? What, you think you can just jump right back into her life and be her hero? Her long lost lover? You can't Ander. She doesn't care about you. She hasn't forgotten what you've done to her. You hurt her."

"Oh right, because what she needs is for you to be picking fights over her. Quit being a child and instead be her friend." Ander paused, anger turning to spite. "But, if I recall correctly she has called for me when you were already at her side. Goodbye Noeh."

"Don't get close to her." He snarled.

"You're going to stop me?"

"If I need to." Noeh straightened his posture.

"I dare you." Ander whispered viciously as he turned away from Noeh and strolled back to the stables as though the little exchange had never happened.

*~*

By the time Ander had arrived, Beth was still crouched in the corner, she was still sad, but she was no longer crying. Beth was glad that he was finally there, something about him always calmed her, even though Noeh tried his best to make it seem otherwise. She wasn't sure what was up with him, ever since he discovered who Ander was he had been different, and she didn't like that. She looked to Ander as he leaned his body along the post of the doorway.

"You okay?" He asked her tilting his head.

"I will be." She managed with a hint of a smile.

"I'm sorry, Beth."

"I know." Beth choked as she looked to the ground before her.

"For everything." Ander sat beside the girl who looked still distant. "I mean it, Beth. I'm sorry." She lifted her eyes to his as he looked at the bland wall before them and whispered with a frail voice.

"Thank you." She slipped back into silence, staring into those deep green eyes for more moments than she could count, "Ander, I want to sing the Tribute. I want to sing it with you."

Ander's head turned so fast that it sent a shooting pain down his spine, yet it didn't faze him. He looked to Beth, unsure of whether she was being serious or if she was just making a rash decision, her face told it all. She had thought about it, she was sure.

"Beth, you don't have to do this you know."

"I want to."

"Okay." He said standing from his spot beside her and extending a hand to her. "You and me, Donoway."

Beth stared at his hand, tears forming in her eyes, and finally put her hand on his, "Me and you, Rockwell."

*~*

When Beth woke the following morning, the cabin was quiet. She noticed then that the only other person in the cabin was Noeh, and he was looking right at her.

"Hey there, sunshine. I was about to wake you." He said tenderly walking away from her bunk. "It's almost time."

Beth nodded, dread of the day ahead setting into her bones. She wasn't ready for pain she would feel, for the celebrating of a life, the death of a friend. She had never liked the ceremonies even if she didn't know the one who had lost their life. She only hoped it wouldn't be as bad as Kallide's ceremony. Trying to avoid the memories, Beth moved to her armory to look for an appropriate gown for such a mournful occasion. Her eyes gazed over dresses and suits of every color and style until she set them upon a black silk and lace gown. She observed the lace and how it spun down the skirt in long finger-like patterns, the upper part of the dress was laced with silver and stretched down the sleeves. She pulled the dress from the armory and shimmied into it. The dress seemed as though it was designed specifically for Beth, and she wished it hadn't been this kind of occasion that brought the two together. She turned and breathed deeply in an attempt to calm the beating heart that was wild in her chest.

"You look, wow, you look great, Beth." Noeh managed to say, a bit of nerves apparent in his speech. She remained cold in expression and gestured toward the door. "Yes, yes let's go."

*~*

       Noeh couldn't rip his eyes from the stunning girl walking before him. The dress she was wearing lined every curve of her body, accentuating every one of her finest features. Her golden hair swayed elegantly down the small of her back. Any male that wasn't attracted to her had to be either blind or stupid. She was flawless.

       Ahead of them, Noeh could see her eyes fix on Ander. When she laid a hand on his shoulder, she seemed almost scared to do it. Noeh could understand why, there was still damage there, still hostility as much as they tried to hide it. They still weren't comfortable around each other, that was a good thing to Noeh. As selfish as it seemed, he wanted her nowhere near Ander. The fact that she still reached for him was rather infuriating. He would not let her open up to Ander. He couldn't let that happen.

"A warrior has fallen." Stievan started. "A warrior that showed undeniable bravery, skill, cunning, and power until his final breath." Quinn then quoted the warrior's code, and gestured back to Stievan.

"Chaess Belleza. A man of strength, dignity, and in his case, childlike quirks. Chaess was truly the life of base. While he was a great warrior with no restraints on the battlefield, he was gentle and so kind off the field. Such skill that Chaess displayed were skills that could not be taught in any training. Chaess was born to be a warrior, and a warrior he was. Warrior. Protector. Friend. We honor you, Chaess Belleza."

       Stievan and Quinn each took a handful of dirt and tossed it over the already covered grave. Ander and Beth exchanged a glance and stepped toward the grave. She hesitantly extended a hand to Ander, and after a glance from her face to her hand, he laced his fingers in hers. Noeh's eyes narrowed at Ander, remaining still. He had gone too far.

*~*

       Fingers entwined with Beth's, Ander began to sing. The warrior's tribute was written in the ancient tongue of Delahonte and only taught to those who were destined to be leaders. Ander and Beth had learned the piece together so many years prior, at the ages of eight and nine. Elvesta Sloyette took them into Mansford to be trained professionally for the song, she had seen so much potential in the two. Ander counted it a shame when she passed, he wasn't sure if Beth even knew.

       The blend of the two voices was simply breathtaking, despite the emotions Ander could feel infused with her blood, Beth still sang with the voice of pure beauty and perfection, flowing alongside the wind. A voice that almost seemed unreal. The shape of her face showing her soft embrace of the wind against her tear soaked cheek. Each of their harmonies carried through the air with such grace and fluidity. As the final words set from their lips into the warm air, the two put opposite hands on their chest to honor the brave soul lost that now rested six feet in the ground before them.

*~*

       As much as he didn't want to admit it, Noeh had never heard two voices that coalesced so well together. He'd never heard Beth's voice, and he wished he had before. He almost wondered why she wasn't a performer for the King and the Quill. Although, for Beth to do something like that would mean containing her from a fight for so long. That wouldn't happen. She was never a connoisseur to attention, it wouldn't matter if she could actually refrain from a fight.

       Noeh watched as the two stood hand-in-hand watching the grave as they tossed two blood red pebbles onto the grave, a closing ritual to honor the final goodbye to their comrade and friend. The six of them together left the graveside. Noeh was sure that today was going to be full of loathing and death on the battlefield. The six had just lost one of their own, there would be no mercy. He would be sure to stay out of Beth's way.

*~*

      Beth managed to twist her body into the new battle suit that had apparently arrived while she was sleeping. The suit was considerably tighter yet had more places to conceal weapons. It was also much easier to maneuver despite the snug fit. It was as if she slipped a black, slightly more lethal, layer of skin over her own. With this suit, there was no measurement to the type of deadly she was feeling. She embraced it.

       Beth armed herself with two swords and her favorite daggers, she was only interested in the intimacy of slicing through the skins of her enemies with only the silver extensions of her arms. She hadn't thought about who she would now partner with. It hadn't been long for her to simply have a partner before his life was ripped away from him. She didn't even want to think about it until she had a throat to slash. She would be glad to disembowel any person that crossed her the wrong way.

       Once she arrived at the bus, the boys turned to her.

"Don't look at me like that. I'm fine, let's go." Beth growled as she started to the bus, turning away from the boys.

"Beth, wait." Ander called after her, grabbing her elbow, "You need someone to go with you."

"What, you think I can't handle myself just because Chaess isn't here?" She pulled a dagger from her sleeve. "Well, Ander, records say I'll be just fine." Beth smiled and watched the blade in her hands as she shifted it against the sun's light.

"I have no doubt that you can handle yourself, but that doesn't make it safe. You are too emotional right now and one little slip will have you killed. You cannot die. You will not go alone."

"Fine, Captain." She bowed mockingly at Ander and smiled a vicious smile. "Your wish is my command. Anyone care to join me in my hunt?"

She looked to Pietre, Quinn, and Stievan who were shaking their heads so violently it made her laugh. Ander and Noeh however seemed unfazed by Beth's cruel behavior.

"And how about you, gentlemen?" She challenged. "I won't bite."

"I will." Ander met to her surprise.

"No, you will not." Noeh growled. "I'm going with you."

"Now, boys, save all this hostility for the battlefield." She laughed. "Well, I could just go alone." She slowly started to strut away.

"She goes with you." Ander said, noticeably regretful of his decision.

"Very well. Off we go, boys." She shouted with the most devilish of tones.

Ander watched as the group started to stalk to the bus. He pulled Noeh back, and vowed so that only he could hear, "If she is hurt when I next see her, you can count on a beating so bad that your own mother won't be able to recognize you. Am I clear?"

"Crystal." Noeh grumbled.

*~*

       If it wasn't for Beth, Noeh would've broken Ander's nose for speaking to him in such a way. Noeh loathed him. To Noeh, Ander was always the demon from Beth's past that damaged her beyond repair. All that time Noeh had spent trying to open Beth back up to the world, now being wasted on him returning. He had no right to come back and try to protect her now, not after he left her for so many years. He had no right to try to gain the trust of the woman he destroyed. It was infuriating for Noeh to watch the woman he loved fawn over the man who destroyed everything she was. Noeh hadn't even known her before Ander, but he was sure that he would still feel the same way regardless, and he was sure that Ander did not deserve her.

       Beth was fierce on the battlefield, a ruthless force that would stop at nothing to achieve whatever goals she had her mind and heart set on. She seemed as though she was no longer human. And that day, her goal was to slaughter, which is exactly what she did. Noeh watched in awe as she carved her blade into the bodies of soldiers barreling towards her. The men she killed in a matter of minutes was almost double than what some warriors had killed in an entire day. She was fire, devouring every ounce of life there was. Burning men to ashes. Noeh made it a point to stay out of range of her blade, because although they were working together, a raging Beth was no one to be close to.

       Noeh was suddenly overwhelmed as he drew his second sword trying to fend off the increasing number of soldiers flooding into their region. There were more soldiers than he had ever seen in one place on this battlefield, and before he even knew what was happening, Beth was gone.

"Beth!" He called, slicing a man's arm off of his body. "Beth!"

       Noeh scrambled through the now dissipating army, whirling and twisting his body and weapons so violently that he didn't feel like himself.

"Beth!" He wailed, gripping the swords tightly in his hands, seeing nothing but a forest full of death before him.

*~*

       All he heard was her name, that was enough to have him sprinting to her region, so fast that he could feel his body aching against this speed he had never even tried to reach. He continued to torture his body until he found Noeh standing in the middle of the forest running frantically screaming her name.

"Where is she?" He growled. "What happened?"

"Do you think I'd be like this if I knew?" Noeh choked on his words, tears forming in his eyes and flowing out in steady streams.

"What did you do?" Ander drew a dagger and lunged for Noeh, trapping him between himself and a tree.

"I- It- I-" Noeh swallowed hard against the dagger pressed to his throat.

"I should kill you." Ander's reddened and his face twisted.

"Kill me or find her." The two stared at each other for a long second before Ander pushed Noeh's body to the ground.

"Which way?"

       Noeh pointed in the direction he had last seen Beth, the only logical direction she could have been taken. Ander lost his control as he sprinted in the direction Noeh had pointed, he had both swords drawn throwing his body past trees and brush, over logs, under branches, any obstacle was no problem for him because it was all for Beth. He wouldn't waste so much time and energy on anything else, no matter what she had done. If he didn't find her, he'd keep searching until he did. His hope was just starting to diminish when he found the tracks. Eight, maybe ten, sets of above average sized men shoes and one set considerably smaller than the rest. It had to be, but then again, how would Beth get into such a situation? He didn't have another option. He followed the tracks.

*~*

       She wasn't entirely sure what was happening. The men had covered her eyes with cloth, and tied another cloth around her mouth that had been drenched with some liquid that made her drowsy and disoriented. Her hearing, however, had improved drastically. She could hear every rustle of the leaves, every breath of the men surrounding her, and every deceptive whisper of the wind. She decided it was best not to say a word as the men dragged her limp body through the woods. It wasn't until they threw her body to the ground that someone decided to speak. Despite how long had it been since she had been taught the Dumarian language she could still remember.

"What do we do with her now?" Asked the soldier who had hold of her left arm.

"Kill her? Or," asked one so close to her face she could feel his breath, as he ran a finger down her cheek. "Something better?" She flinched away from his touch, the men laughing at her.

       She could hear movement, and although she couldn't see, she still sensed that they were circling her. If she didn't get out soon, she may very well be their prey.

"She can't even defend herself." The man who spoke kicked her in her side, she yelped with the surprise and pain.

"Where's your father this time, princess?" Her heart dropped at the sound of the word, another kick. A large hand yanked her hair back, cruel breath fell hot on her neck.

"She calls herself a warrior," the man chuckled softly as she heard a dagger being unsheathed, maybe his. "And yet, here she is, nothing more than a toy." He drawled.

Cold metal pressed to her cheek, the width of a blade threatening her skin. The blade shifted and she winced at blood welling in the spot the blade once occupied. A stream of blood carried down her jaw, followed by a single tear.

"Oh no, I- I think we've hurt her." A man falsely sympathized and laughed at his own ruthless behavior as he punched Beth's blood covered face. Her body fell to the ground from the impact of the blow.

"No, you don't. I didn't tell you to lie down, did I, princess?" The man dragged her pain stricken body up to a crouching position.

"I think," Another man started, "That the princess wants more." He dragged a blade down her back, enough to break cloth and skin.

Beth felt a calloused hand reaching through the tear in her suit, exploring her bare, exposed, and vulnerable skin. She tried to squirm away, she tried to break free but another hand joined the first as others held her body from freedom.

"If you touch her, you will die. If you look at her, you will die. If you so much as breathe another breath you will die. Either way, you will die like these three here." Ander barked, Beth assumed he had killed three men completely unnoticed by the others. Before she knew what was going on she heard metal smashing against metal and a hand dragging her backwards, she screamed Ander's name, the hand pulling her went limp. Silence.

"Ander?" She croaked, the pain of her wounds and bruises overwhelming her. A hand, a gentle hand rested on her cheek, another pulled the blindfold and mouth cloth away. Ander's tear soaked eyes lined with hers.

*~*

Relief washed over him like a waterfall. Involuntary tears streamed down his face. He was so afraid of what he would find at the end of those tracks, or what he wouldn't. He had never felt so afraid, it was one thing for Beth to be away from him. But for her to be gone? That thought was unbearable.

"We need to go, more soldiers could be nearby, and you need a healer." Ander whispered to her gently, as he released the tie around her hands. His hands slipped beneath her arms and around her waist helping her to her feet. Together the two struggled through the woods, avoiding any and all contact with others until they reached the bus.

*~*

Beth was not entirely focused when her and Ander had reached the bus, but even someone who was both blind and deaf could sense the hostility between Ander and Noeh. The two had nothing but hate radiating from their core as they glared at each other with eyes that held an uncanny desire to kill. She knew why. Noeh couldn't keep a leash on her, Noeh failed the one thing Ander trusted him to do, so Ander is taking her away. They infuriated each other, anyone could see that.

"Send for a healer." Ander said to Noeh.

"Okay but I'm-"

"You have done enough." Beth cut in, giving Noeh the look that he knew all too well. The only difference was, she made the face to avoid a lashing between him and Ander.

Noeh left, and Beth was thankful for that, but she was also slightly surprised. She never would've thought it to be that easy.

*~*

Ander was unsure if the healer was actually helping Beth. The distress he had been witnessing was painful to watch, and yet the healer claimed she was ready to return to battle by the following morning. But, knowing Beth she'd more likely sleep than fight after an event like that. Beth was a force, but when it came to trauma, she always seemed to want to sleep it off.

Her day had been literal hell. She first had to deal with the sorrow of attending the ceremony of loss of her friend and partner, only then to get kidnapped because of an imbecilic dolt who was supposed to keep an eye on her, and finally further tortured by a so-called healer. Ander could not wrap his mind around how it must've felt. All of those thing to rise against in a matter of sixteen hours. It was unfair.

"Ander." Beth muttered when the healer was out of the room.

"I'm here, I'm right here." Ander whispered softly brushing a hair from the girl's face as tears began to fall. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"There's not much to talk about." She breathed.

"That's okay, you don't have to." Ander pulled the corner of his mouth up. "They are dead anyway."

"Thank you, Ander." She smiled the best she could behind the swollen and discolored skin.

"Hey, I've got your back Donoway."

"Ander," He looked at her, the change in her voice changing his expression. "They know who I am."

Ander's eyes widened as they settled back on Beth, her eyes meeting his. Fear, almost as bad as the fear of Beth being kidnapped. Fear because Beth no longer had leverage. Fear because Beth was now in danger. Fear because Dumarian soldiers know that Calline Ellyzibeth Mansford is alive.

*~*

She always assumed no one would discover her secret. Hoped really. She had been so young when her mother left Isaac, he hadn't been King for very long. He was a horrible father, but an even worse husband. Beth had been lucky, she was too young to really know the depth of evil he showed his family. He had abused both her and her mother for years, and of course gotten away with it. The country viewed Isaac as good, strong, perfect. He was their leader, they wanted him to be that way. So to them he was, but behind closed doors, he was a monster. He is a monster. But his Commanding Soldier was not. That's why he let them go against the kings orders, to protect them from not only the king, but also from Dumar. He helped them attain new lives and identities that would hide them and keep them from ever being discovered. Instead of Calline Elyzibeth Mansford, she became Beth Donaway. She moved from the castle in Mansford to the small village town of Humes where she met Anderulle and Emylee, where she decided to fight, where she made a new life for herself. A life that she knew would never be fit for a princess, a life that was created to take away that part of her life. But it was also a life that left her fatherless, a life that forced to forget a prior life of royalty, a life with a brother, a life with wealth.

Beth became someone new the day she and her mother left the kingdom. She was okay with that. But now, she was afraid that the life she left behind would soon catch back up to her. If Dumar knew where she was, it would be easy for her father to find her as well. She had never been afraid before, but suddenly she was.

*~*

Ander woke the next morning more exhausted than he had been when he'd fallen asleep. That was no surprise to him, he was more surprised that siren hadn't gone off. He muscled his body out of his bunk and searched his cabin for the others who were, of course, no where to be seen. After the news he had received yesterday, he wouldn't be surprised if they were forming some sort of escape for Beth, but then he also knew that not even they knew her true identity. She would risk her life telling them.

Ander moved out of the cabin, his eyes not easily adjusting to the sun. Stretching his tired limbs, he walked to the Common Building where he found the others.

"Hey Ander-O! No death bell today!" Peitre called from across the room, bits of food flying everywhere.

"Chew. Swallow. Never call me that again."

"Well, someone didn't get laid last night."

"And you did?" Beth retorted, Peitre put his hands in the air.

"Easy there, princess. It was just a joke."

"Don't call me that." She barked.

"Damn, what is up with you people and nicknames?" Peitre mumbled as he flopped onto the sofa next to Noeh who didn't so much as raise his head.

Ander and Beth looked to each other from across the room, the anger in their eyes soon faded into the confusion they had been so badly trying to hide. Ander had so much trouble trying to figure out what was on her mind, she had never been the kind of person to show emotion, yet he always saw right through her fronts. He couldn't any more.

"Hello, soldiers." An unknown voice called over the speakers in the ceiling, "Battle has been placed on temporary withdraw put into effect by Dumar. The Dumarian soldiers have raised their white flag and requested immediate contact with the Quill, therefore battle comes to a stalemate." Ander and Beth looked to each other eyes wide. "In the meantime, we expect nothing but training from you. We have left new weapons and- supplies, for lack of a better term- in the stables. We hope to see you prosper, and prove your worth. Good luck." A triple tone beep sounded from the speakers and the six, excited for their new weapons, lunged for the door.

Ander watched as the animal-looking teenagers pulled the door to the stable open, greeted by some of the most terrifying horse brays he'd ever heard. In amazement, he ran to join his team and beheld the sight of six beautiful horses snorting and stomping in the stables.

"You may not choose the animal. The animal may choose you." Ander read from the banner hanging in the aisle.

"It says here that we let them out into the field and they will come to us." Quinn said.

"They have names." Beth said, a smile on her face. "This one here," She pointed to a dark grey horse, "Achilles, male. This one," she moved to the next stall that held a brown horse with a white stripe on its face. "Zandra, female." She moved to the next where a golden horse with white mane and tail stood tall, "Apollo, fitting. Male." She crossed the isle to the next stall where a light grey horse stood still as a rock. "Kamau, female." Next was a red-orange colored horse, smaller than the rest, "Finnegan, male." She reached the final stall, her stall, where a jet black horse stood, nostrils flared. "Calypso, female. It says on the banner that we will learn the meanings of their names when they choose. It also says it may take hours."

"We have time." Ander nodded to Stievan and Quinn who dipped their heads and departed to either side of the stable, releasing the horses into the pasture. He smiled at Beth, "Let's go, this a piece of home." The remaining four walked to the pasture to join Steivan and Quinn."

*~*

The six spread themselves out in the pasture. Noeh hated the idea of an animal choosing him. In his opinion, man is to be dominant and man is to choose. Not the other way around. But still he sat, waiting for an animal to somehow choose him. In the pasture he saw the horses running like savages. Neighing viciously, rearing up on their hind legs, kicking the air and each other, snorting, pawing the ground, being animals. He didn't understand why he and his five had to sit and wait for one of the wretched creatures to calm down long enough to choose them.

*~*

Beth sat quietly watched the beautiful creatures run and stretch their legs. She couldn't stop, even though she knew Ander had his eyes fixed on her. She was fascinated, and for once at peace. The creatures in front of her could kill her in a second, but she didn't care. They were the most magnificent things she had ever seen, so fierce and strong. Like nothing or no one could stop them.

Hours later the horses calmed. They were standing in a perfect line in the middle of the pasture, one stepped forward, the small gelding, Finnegan. He walked to Stievan and sniffed him, shook his head and trotted to Quinn the horse stopped and sniffed the air in front of him, Quinn held out a hand. The horse neighed and trotted on, he was about to pass Noeh but then he stopped. He stared Noeh in the eye, and unlike anything she had ever seen lowered his head, eyes closed, and let out a sigh. The horse laid down beside Noeh, he had chosen. The other five clapped as Noeh reluctantly patted the horse's neck.

The next horse stepped out. Zandra whinnied delicately and pranced about as if she were a show pony. She was in front of Peitre when he laughed, she halted and fiercely neighed in his face as if he were trying to kill her. The frightened boy nearly pissed himself trying to crawl away from the horse. The satisfied creature perked her ears forward and continued on prancing to Quinn where she too bowed her head and laid beside him.

"I think I'm going to like her." Quinn laughed to Peitre who was still trying to catch his breath. The others couldn't help but laugh as well.

Apollo was next. He confidently strode out it took him no time to choose.  He didn't hesitate a moment, the second he moved was the moment he chose. He chose Stievan. Next was Achilles, he watched all of us, as if he were still considering choosing someone the others had already chosen. He moved forward, one slow step after another right toward Noeh and Finnegan. But he stopped, turned, and galloped to Ander halting on the snap of finger and lowered his head. Achilles chose Ander.

Last was the beautiful jet black horse who'd been in Beth's stall. The horse walked directly to Beth, but instead of bowing her head as the others did. She bowed onto a knee, Beth had never seen such a thing. The horse looked Beth in the eye, and Beth saw what she had always known horses had. Emotion.

*~*

The six and their horses stood from the ground, and with this day of freedom they decided to let loose and go for a ride with their new steeds. Of course, Ander and Beth were the only two that knew how to tack horses. So they were the ones who taught the other four. It was awkward really, the obvious tension between Noeh and Beth when she was trying to teach him how to tie and tighten the cinch on the saddle. Quinn watched as she awkwardly squirmed away when he got to close, everyone knew what had happened between Noeh and Ander, but the fact that Beth was acting so off was strange to him. He couldn't help but think there was more to the situation than they let on. But one thing was for sure, Noeh was in love with her, you could just see it written across his face, in his eyes. He wanted her.

When all six horses were tacked with the gear they had found in the stables, they set off into the woods. Ander and Beth of course were at the head of the group, closely followed by Pietre and Noeh, and holding up the rear were Stievan and Quinn. They were spread enough to have separate conversations that could not be heard by the others.

"What do you think is going on with Beth and Ander?" Quinn asked Stievan.

"Meaning?"

"You know, like are they a thing?"

"I overheard Pietre and Noeh, sure seems like it from their point of view. I mean, Noeh is pretty worked up about it. In his own, kind of way."

"Okay, you've lost me. What's Noeh have to do with anything?"

"Dude, he's got a thing for Beth. Beth hates him, and Noeh thinks that is because of Ander. But if you ask me, she's got it out for him on her own accord."

"So you think, there's another reason she's pissed at him?"

"I'm definitely not saying there isn't. I don't know, but it sure seems like she has her own reasons. If you ask me, that girl has secrets."

"Do you trust her?"

"Of course, I'm just saying she has things she's not telling us."

"We all have secrets."

"Yes, that's true, but I think her secret is more than just any old secret."

"How so?"

"I think her secret could cost her."

"Could you be any more dramatic? You're worse than my sister." Quinn scoffed at Stievan.

"I'm just saying," He paused loosening his reins and looking ahead to Ander and Beth. "Something isn't right."

*~*

Beth had never looked so full of light, Noeh had seen her happy, just never to that extent. Such pure and thorough joy flowed through her fingers and the ends of her bright hair. She shined with the joy she had been missing for so long, but he knew that the joy wasn't only from the majestic beast. He watched the way she looked at Ander, the way she melted when he got close. She loved him, she would be a fool to deny it.  Noeh was convinced that he deserved her love more than Ander did. Ander left her when she was vulnerable and in pain, Noeh was there to comfort her and make her feel whole again. He deserved to be loved by her, not Ander. Who does he think he is? Breaking a girl's heart just to reclaim her only to one day break it again. He thought. How selfish can he be? He can't possibly care for her. If he did he would leave her for good and never show his face in front of her again. Can't he see how she is around him? Can't he see how badly it is hurting her?

The seven continued on for hours, learning about their horses and bonding with them. After a few miles, they stopped at a creek so that the horses could drink. In those moments, Noeh slipped off into the woods with his horse. He leaned on the horse's neck and whispered.

"I don't know your name, but I promise I will figure it out if you get me the hell away from them without making me eat the dirt." The horse stood unresponsive. "Hello. Horse."

Noeh kicked his legs and shouted for Finnegan to listen, who in response tossed Noeh off of his back and snorted. Noeh angrily wiped the dirt from his body and was standing from the ground when the rest of the seven had gathered around him.

"What are you doing down there?" Quinn asked with a grin.

"Not funny, cad. Help me get back on this thing."

"Don't." Beth said. "Call him a thing, fine. You learn on your own. Let's go." She raised her eyebrows and turned Calypso back towards base, followed by the rest of the seven.

"Guys seriously?" Noeh shouted watching everyone as they left, and looking to Stievan who stayed behind a moment longer than the rest.

"Sorry dude, we don't want to get on her bad side." He shrugged as he clucked and Apollo picked up his speed to rejoin the rest of the group.

Noeh scoffed and walked to Finnegan who backed away from him. Noeh stood frustrated and watched the horse flick his ears at Noeh.

"Is this funny for you? Because it's not for me." Finnegan nickered and stomped his feet, prancing around.

Noeh jumped towards the horse who stepped to the side whinnying, Noeh slowly became less frustrated and more entertained at the game the two were playing.

"Fine, I'll just go back by myself." He turned around and smirked, the horse snorted and pounded a hoof into the ground in response.

"Bye now." Noeh taunted and started to walk away, soon nudged on the shoulder by the creature.

"That's what I thought." He face the horse, grabbing onto his reins and smiling, "Don't be a jerk this time, got it?"

Finnegan snorted. Noeh laughed and tried to mount onto the horse, only to fall back to the ground. He attempted several times, each time failing. He looked around the forest to find anything to help, conveniently, he found a stump. He stood on the stump and struggled to get Finnegan to stand still long enough to mount him. Finally, Noeh hoisted himself onto the saddle falling to the opposite side. He sat up on the ground, once again frustrated. Finnegan reached his muzzle down to him, nudging him softly. Noeh tried once again succeeded at last. He clicked his heels against the horse's side and struggle to hold on as the horse trotted through the forest, bouncing him all around in the saddle. Soon they happened upon a clearing, Finnegan noticeably increased the speed and length of his gait. Noeh, knowing the horse was going to soon send him soaring into the air, held on for dear life. Finnegan took that as a sign to race, and that he did. The horse galloped through the open field, stretching his legs and neighing with joy. Noeh, on the other hand, was pale and frightened beyond his wits that he would soon meet the ground in harsh impact. He figured he would need more practice before he tried to ride into war.

Somehow, this huge terrifying beast between his legs made him feel more confident. The more he rode on, the more unstoppable he felt. He was still terrified nonetheless. Soon, he and his steed reached the place where they would finally get rest. Noeh searched the camp for the others, he decided that they were probably in the commons. He was slightly agitated that the others hadn't waited for him. He took his time untacking Finnegan, though he wasn't sure why. He felt oddly compelled to be around the animal, maybe it gave him entitlement. Then again, he wasn't the only one with a horse.

"We were wondering when you would finally decide to come back." He heard Pietre say.

"Not like I had anyone to help me find the way."

"Can you blame us?"

For a moment, Noeh thought he was kidding. "Yes. I most definitely can."

"Aw," Pietre made a mocking face, "Did someone get their feelings hurt?"

Noeh threw a boot at Pietre. "Do you want something or are you just here to be a prick?"

"Ouch, that stung. I'm just trying to put some things together."

"What kind of things?" Noeh said pushing past Pietre to stow his tack away.

"The kind of things that make you act like a blockhead."

"Why does that matter to you?"

"Because I don't want you to risk the lives of your team for some worthless feelings."

"Worthless?"

"You know she doesn't feel the same way you do, right?"

"You know that you're making no sense, right?"

"You can't even deny it, Noeh, you're a fool to try."

"Drop it. We are not discussing this. You bring it up again and you're finished."

"This is exactly what I'm talking about."

"I said drop it." Noeh yelled and stormed off.





© 2018 Elizabeth McCready


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on May 12, 2018
Last Updated on May 12, 2018


Author

Elizabeth McCready
Elizabeth McCready

Ocean City, MD



About
I am college student who has been working on this novel since I was in my freshmen year of high school. I hope to get lots of feedback and support as I try and finish this novel! more..

Writing