Seven (Devina)

Seven (Devina)

A Chapter by Elizabeth Em

Things were changing rapidly between Josh and I. The dynamic between us was more relaxed and I was more comfortable around Josh. I no longer minded when he held my hand or placed his arm around my waist.

I didn’t know what it was. Perhaps playing doubles with him against random people at the tennis center helped us bond. Or maybe the fact I was protecting him made me feel protective of him. Or perhaps pretending I was his girlfriend tricked my mind into thinking I actually had feelings for him.

But a discovery I had made after talking with Torin was that Josh reminded me of my baby brother. They were both vibrant and full of life. Like Torin, Josh tried his best to make the most of a bad situation. And like Torin, Josh was emotionally raw and allowed his emotions to guide him.

Their similarities further solidified in my mind as we lay in bed one night. The light had been out for a few minutes when Josh timidly said my name.

“Devina?”

“Yes, Josh?”

“I… I’m scared.”

I rolled over to face him.

“Don’t be. I’m here,” I said.

His face was anguished and he looked like he might cry.

“I know. I just…” he trailed.

I sighed through my nose.

“Come here,” I said, holding my arms open.

Josh scooted over and into my arms, burying his face into the base of my neck. I embraced him and he returned the motion.

“You’ll be fine,” I soothed him, stroking his hair.

“I just can’t help but fear the worst,” he replied.

I knew nothing I said would take away his worry, so for a moment I said nothing.

“The more I learn about you, the more you remind me of Torin,” I said finally.

Josh pulled away and looked up at me with glassy eyes.

“Really?” he asked. He seemed to want it to be true.

I nodded.

“How so?”

“So lively. So smart. So vulnerable. So handsome. Same dark brown hair. Same strong jaw.”

“But I have brown eyes.”

Josh wrinkled his nose as if that fact ruined the comparison. I smiled a little.

“And they are just as pretty,” I complimented.

“No way,” he disagreed. “They aren’t near as beautiful as the green you two have.”

I shook my head.

“Just take a compliment. I don’t give them very often.”

He gave me a small smile.

“Thank you,” he whispered.

“You’re welcome,” I whispered back.

He snuggled into me again and I resumed stroking his hair.

“I used to hold him like this,” I said, struggling to keep the emotion out of my voice. “Especially on our first night in a new house.”

There was a brief silence.

“Devina?”

“Yes, Joshua.”

“Tell me about Germany.”

I hesitated.

“What do you want to know?” I asked.

“Everything,” Josh replied.

“Well…” I began. “Where I’m from, in Cologne, it rains quite a bit�"”

“The town is called Cologne?” Josh interrupted.

I giggled.

“We call it Köln, but somehow the English translation is Cologne.”

“Oh. Tell me more.”

“Well, Cologne Cathedral is one of the tallest Gothic architectural structures in the world and took over 600 years to complete�"”

“600 years??” Josh asked incredulously, looking up at me.

“Mmhmm,” I replied.

“What took so long?”

I shrugged. “Construction stopped and started over the years. It’s made of sandstone and has to be renovated all the time. It’s like a never-ending construction site.”

“That’s crazy.”

“Mmhmm.”

“Tell me more.”

Josh snuggled into me again.

“Hmm… the Black Forest is in southwestern Germany. It’s very lovely.”

“Does it look like The Sound of Music?”

I giggled again. “When you get deeper into the Alpine region, yes, it does.”

Josh buried himself deeper into me. I continued to stroke his hair.

“Tell me more.”

“Well…” I tried to think of something. “There is a very famous castle in Bavaria called Neuschwanstein.”

“Why is it famous?”

“Well, it was built by Mad King Ludwig�"”

“Like Alexander’s last name?”

“Who? Oh. Yes, like Alexander’s last name.”

“So why does that make it famous?”

“Well, sweetheart, you interrupted me before I could explain.”

“Sorry.”

“King Ludwig built the castle and housed the composer Wagner there. One day, King Ludwig went for a walk and never came back. His body was found in a nearby lake, but how he died remains a debate. The castle is on top of a mountain and is very picturesque. It has been the model for many other castles.”

“It sounds beautiful.”

“You might recognize it if you saw a picture.”

“Tell me more.”

“Hmmm… you may have known we have a strong auto industry.”

“Really?”

Josh’s voice reflected mock surprise and I giggled once again.

“Yes, we do.”

“Tell me more.”

I was running out of things to tell him.

“What else do you want to know, sweetie?”

“Are all of the people like you?”

What a strange question. Like me?

“Depends on what you think I’m like.”

“Strong, beautiful, kind, intelligent.”

“Yes, I believe they are. They are hard-working, optimistic. Very intelligent. Very frugal. Very athletic. We, of course, have one of the best football teams in the world.”

“Very modest, too.”

I laughed fully at this comment.

“We just like to get stuff done and see results.”

“Germany sounds amazing.”

“It is. I miss it very much.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, darling. I’m with you.”

The truth of that statement surprised me. But I didn’t mind so much anymore, being with him.

Josh was silent for so long I thought he may have fallen asleep.

“Devina?”

“Yes, Joshua?”

“Please stay perfect.”

There was one of those compliments I couldn’t find an adequate response to. So I said nothing. Instead, I kissed him on top of his head and hoped it was enough. He squeezed me tightly.

A few moments later, I noticed his breathing had deepened. His breath on my neck sent shivers down my spine.

Josh Hutcherson was under my skin. And there was nothing I could do about it.



© 2012 Elizabeth Em


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on November 24, 2012
Last Updated on November 24, 2012


Author

Elizabeth Em
Elizabeth Em

IN



About
Just a twenty-something female who really likes to write. Working on my first full-length story called Guardian, a Josh Hutcherson fan fiction. more..

Writing
One (Devina) One (Devina)

A Chapter by Elizabeth Em


Two (Josh) Two (Josh)

A Chapter by Elizabeth Em