Nine (Devina)

Nine (Devina)

A Chapter by Elizabeth Em

I was still shaken by the fact someone had been following us. For some reason, I never thought the hitman would come close to us. Sometimes I was sickeningly optimistic.

I couldn’t decide if I was more shaken by the fact we had been followed or the fact my lips had met Josh’s -- twice. Subconsciously, I reached up and ran my fingers over my bottom lip.

I was surprised it had happened and surprised I had enjoyed it. Josh tasted sweet, but I couldn’t identify a flavor. And then I had kissed him!

What the hell, Devina?!

For the last few hours I had been driving and trying to figure it out. Did I have feelings for him?

A part of me was trying to convince me that I did. I couldn’t deny I had quickly come to care for him a great deal. He was so beautiful, both inside and out. The way he took care of me as much as I took care of him was endearing. And sleeping in his arms every night was bliss. It started by accident, but it had become something I looked forward to each night.

But the other, stronger, more stubborn side of me maintained that my brain was playing tricks on me. Pretending I was his girlfriend in public and being forced into close quarters with him in private was tricking me into believing I felt for him.

And then there was another troubling aspect to this tale: my job.

Regardless of how I felt, I’d never see Josh again after this assignment ended. That was how my job went: I provided some type of aid and resumed anonymity after I was finished. A relationship between Josh and I couldn’t work. I had already broken off a relationship with someone because of my job, but he didn’t know what I did for a living. Josh would be in so much danger if I pursued a relationship with him.

But what if I was selfish enough to want to?

“DEVINA!” Josh shouted.

The sudden sound of his voice startled me and I swerved a little on the highway.

“Scheisse verdammt nochmal, Joshua, was soll das?!” I shrieked.

“Um, I don’t know what you just said but I assume it wasn’t very ladylike,” Josh replied.

I glared over at him.

“I’ve been trying to get your attention for a while now. Are you okay?”
I nearly snorted.

“That’s my line,” I said.

Josh was silent for a moment.

“I’m still pretty shaken and scared,” he admitted.

“I know. And I know nothing I say is going to ease your fears.”

“No, not really.”

Silence settled between us. I wondered why he said anything at all.

My mind started drifting away again when he said, “I’m sorry.”

I looked over at him and saw a tear fall down his cheek. I looked away again. What was this?

“For what?” I asked.

“For everything. For making this guy mad. For interrupting your life. For kissing you--”

“STOP.”

Josh stopped rambling and his breath hitched due to his tears.

“Just stop. I don’t want to hear your apologies. Nor do I think you should be sorry.”

“What?”

“You heard me, Superstar. Don’t be sorry. I’m not. I’m not sorry I’m on paid vacation with a handsome movie star. I’m not sorry you kissed me and I’m not sorry I kissed you. Sure, it was confusing as s**t but I’m sure you agree it was nice.”

“Yeah, it was.”

“So why are you sorry?

“I crossed your boundary.”

I shrugged.

“We’re both alive. It doesn’t matter so much anymore.”
“Yeah, we are. I’m alive for my birthday.”

“What? When’s your birthday?”

“The 12th.”

“No way! Mine’s the 13th.”

“Shut up! Let’s do something!”

I smiled over at him.

“I think I’ve just had an idea.”

Josh sat up excitedly.

“Ooo! Where are we going?! What are we doing?!”

“It’s a surprise.”

“Aww! Dev, tell me! Please, Dev!”

“No, I’m not telling you.”

I reached for my bluetooth headset as Josh continued to whine.

“I’m not telling you! Now be quiet. I have to make arrangements.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Josh pouted as I quickly dialed the number I wanted.

“Yes, may I speak to Holden please? This is Devina Friedmann... Thank you... Holden, it’s Dev. I need a suite for tomorrow night... How long? I’m not sure yet. As long as I feel like it.”


© 2012 Elizabeth Em


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on November 24, 2012
Last Updated on November 24, 2012


Author

Elizabeth Em
Elizabeth Em

IN



About
Just a twenty-something female who really likes to write. Working on my first full-length story called Guardian, a Josh Hutcherson fan fiction. more..

Writing
One (Devina) One (Devina)

A Chapter by Elizabeth Em


Two (Josh) Two (Josh)

A Chapter by Elizabeth Em