The Lady and the Door

The Lady and the Door

A Poem by SilentDreamer


You peer out the door at me:
Old lady, hair frazzled, face creased.
A little wise christian.
The instant those blue eyes
Flutter down to rest on me
The door half closes.
I tell you what I'm about,
"Poor in the area..."
"...Help, give..."
Your face shuts down.
"Our church does that."
Your face vanishes.
The door stands before me,
Guarding you.
*Click*
The sound of a closed, cold
Heart.

© 2012 SilentDreamer


Author's Note

SilentDreamer
It's ridiculous how many people out there think that poverty and homelessness isn't an issue in the U.S. or in their area. It's everywhere. What's worse is the people that think it is funny or who refuse to help in even the smallest way. Thanks for reading, please review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

There is, indeed, much poverty and homelessness in every country. And people could all benefit from more genuine love and charity. In this poem, however, it feels like the beggar is a little judgmental, assuming that the old lady is trusting enough to continue the conversation and that she has the means to help. Your poem has a clear message and is easy to read, creating good mental images.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow, this is an amazing write and it has such good rhythm

Posted 11 Years Ago


SilentDreamer

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much
Adam M. Snow

11 Years Ago

You're most welcome
I think we have the ability to be on both sides of the door and must always choose--lovely piece of work here!

Posted 11 Years Ago


SilentDreamer

11 Years Ago

I agree and thank you:)
Wow I mean I was seeing that lady shut the door on my face. Vivid and real. I felt like she didn't even care and was just there to itimidate me even more. She had everything and just gave me a door in the face. Ugh... anyway I like the message in your poem. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Posted 11 Years Ago


SilentDreamer

11 Years Ago

Thank you!:)
i KNOW WHAT U R TALKING ABOUT. THAT LADY WAS MEAN.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I totally admire the words you choose for this poem!
They have even sound of an old creaking door, the barrier, the coldness, all is expressed in simple beautiful way! I`m reading your poems finally! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


you are so correct. it is a serious issue for far too many undeserving citizens of this country and world wide. 60 minutes did an expose on this last year and I am sure it has gotten worse. The wealthy politicians continue to play games and I see no end to this disgusting situation.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It's astounding, time and time again, how people just rely on others to change the world with a little support of donations, if any at all. I think you can change far more by going there and helping than putting off any responsibility to institutions.
Very good, critical poem!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really liked your poem, I thought it was rather moving, short and sweet to the point is what I like ^^ Keep up the good work (:

Posted 12 Years Ago


Poverty is always an issue. Great poem. Simple and powerful.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

381 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on February 19, 2012
Last Updated on February 19, 2012

Author

SilentDreamer
SilentDreamer

About
☼ Hey! Well I'm a writer, of course. I love hanging out with my friends, writing, reading, shopping, being outside, listening to music, cooking, gardening, photography, acting and playing guit.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..