Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by MaryP

The cupboards were empty, that was the reason for me having to force green mush down my throat last night. The cupboards being empty means that someone had to go food shopping. And it was my turn. Tom offered to go with me, but to be honest he was starting to get on my nerves so I said no. Nobody left the house except when it was a necessity. It wasn’t dangerous, per say, it just wasn’t exactly safe. I grabbed a jacket and stepped warily out of the door. During daytime all the street lights were turned up to full capacity. It was the last act the government declared before they were overthrew. It was there attempt to make things ‘normal’.

 

It was a ghost town. Walking down the street I couldn’t help but check over my shoulder every few minutes. I convinced myself that someone was following me. I rushed to the shop, but found no relief when I went through the doors. The lights were clinical, they were bright and sharp, the kind of light that pierced your eyelids. The shop was completely empty. Not a single person in sight, the aisles were deserted and the cask register was alone. I don’t remember it being any other way. But Zoey told me once that, long ago people used to work in shops, that they had customers who would come in and pay them for the things in their shop. It seemed strange to me. Anyway, it didn’t work like that anymore. Nobody wanted to be away from home for too long. Nowadays the food on the shelf was there for anyone who wanted it.

 

After the news flash that scared everybody half to death, the supermarkets were stormed. Everything was up for grabs and everything was taken. The shelves were ransacked. But people were greedy, selfish. They couldn’t finish their food in time so their food perished while others starved. Some businesses had stocked up of tinned food and powdered substances. Products that would last for a long time. It seemed like years before shops had anything in them again. The large businesses started to stock food, they tried to sell it, but nobody had any money. Any money that people did have was worthless anyway, there was nothing to buy. Shelves slowly started to look healthier, stocked with powdered milk and bottled water. With tinned fruit and canned chicken. Of course there was always an odd factory here and there that had stocked up enough energy to keep running, they made things that couldn’t be grown, mostly toiletries. Then there were those very few and far between farms that had somehow managed to keep their animals alive or who had brought some artificial light before the selling of it had been halted (the government had to stock up) to keep their crops growing.

 

By this time, most people had learned their lesson. Of course there was always the few people who took too much, but most kept to the unwritten rules of taking as much as you needed, no more, no less. I guess you could say that this was the new human way of surviving. By going against our better instinct and looking out for others rather than ourselves.

 

I walked down the aisles and picked up the things Zoey had told me to get. Biscuits for Lucy. Crisps for Matt. Pasta, powdered milk, yeast, sugar, flour...the list goes on. We didn’t have a lot, but we had enough. Once I’d picked it all up, I put it all in a bag and left.

 

The streets weren’t as deserted as before. The air was warmer than it was this morning and the animals were out. Pets, who should have been protected by their owners, had been discarded and now roamed the streets looking for sanctuary. It sounds sad, after all these animals had nothing, but like the Clanimae they learned to survive on whatever they found. They ate whatever they found. The animals that we once cherished and lived harmoniously amongst, had turned carnivorous.

 

There was a dog sniffing its way down the street. I walked faster. My hands started to get clammy. As I sped up so did the dog. My breath quickened. He seemed to struggle under his own weight. I checked behind me and bit down hard on my lip to stop from screaming. His head twitched as if he was trying to bite his own ear. I started to run, clinging the bag to my chest. The dog started to yelp and bark and suddenly a burst of energy allowed him to speed up. I looked ahead, but couldn’t stop myself from checking behind me. Every time I checked he seemed to get closer. He was not only matching my speed but beating it. I tried to run faster, but I couldn’t, my legs refused to speed up.

I started to cry, the tears blurred my vision but I didn’t slow down. I couldn’t die. I wouldn’t leave Lucy. I could hear the dog gaining on me. I didn’t know what to do. I could call out, but nobody would hear me. I couldn’t run any faster, I’d tried. I could maybe fight off one dog, but as soon as he pierced my skin other animals would smell it, a feeding frenzy would begin. Then that would be it. I’d die.

 

BANG!

 

After a short whimper I heard a muted thud and suddenly the noise of my carnivorous pursier ceased.

 

I spun around searching for my rescuer. I was picturing a warrior or an adventurer poised, holding a shotgun. Perhaps a man in shiny, metal armour that gleamed in the street lights. But, apart from the animals, the streets were empty. I looked to the higher buildings, expecting someone to be hanging out of the window. But again, nothing. I spun around again just to make sure I hadn’t missed anything. I hadn’t.

 

I walked home, fast, but decided that I should keep the incident to myself. Zoey helped me to put the food away in silence. I went to check on Lucy and she was fine. So I just sat in the living room with Matt listening to the radio. After about 20 minutes, he turned to me. “Joanie you know how I didn’t tell Zoey about you going Clanimae hunting…”

“Yeah.” I said warily.

“Someone’s coming over. Zoey won’t see her, she’s coming to my room..”

“She?” I cut in.

“Yes. Could you…you know…not tell Zoey.”

“You keep it clean, I’ll keep it shut.”

He grinned. “ I can’t promise anything.” I shook my head, but we were both smiling.

Right on cue there was a quite knock on the door. Matt jumped up and almost ran to answer. I followed him and poked my head around the door. A tall girl, shorter than Matt but taller than me, was standing on the other side of the threshold. She was skinny and had blonde hair (of course) down to her waist. Her eye lashes stretched to her eyebrows and her lips were a cherry red. Where she found make-up nowadays, I have no idea. Although it was quite cold outside she was wearing a mini skirt and a strapped vest top. The single strap told me she wasn’t wearing a bra. SLAG! Matt’s kind of girl. He looked her up and down and -what looked like- smirked. She took his hand and he led her upstairs. He winked at me as he disappeared into his room.

 

Zoey appeared out of the kitchen. She was stirring a bowl of what looked like cookie mixture. Lucy followed her smothered in flour, with a hug grin spread across her face. “Who was at the door?” She asked, her eyebrow raising slightly.

“No one, some kids playing games.” I lied swiftly.

Zoey shook her head. “I don’t know where their parents are, they shouldn’t be allowed out by themselves.” She stirred the bowl a couple more times. “Maybe they don’t have parents.” She decided. “Bless ‘em.” She muttered as she went back into the kitchen.

Whether Matt stayed true to his word or not, I wasn’t sure, but he was quiet. The night past without a hitch. I heard him come down a couple of times, but he was careful not to be caught. And before the day lights were turned off there was a click of the door and I knew she was gone. Whoever she was. Matt swaggered into the living room, smirking.

“How was she?”

“None of your business.” He snapped, but he was grinning. Cue the daytime lights cutting us out and plunging us into darkness. Matt lit the candles, the flames flickered and it was just bright enough for me to see Matt blush.

“How did you meet her?” I continued.

“Last month. When it was my turn to shop. She was shopping at the same time. We got talking. She was hot. So I invited her round. Simple.” I shook my head.

“You’re such a typical guy.”

“Thanks.”

“Where’s she going? Does she have somewhere to stay?”

“Err, yeah.”

“What’s with the hesitation?”

“Mind your own.” He snapped defensively. It was silent for a moment. “I’m gonna go get her, ask her to stay.” He got up and left the front door open as he chased after the girl. By the time I started to worry about him he was back and the girl was clinging onto his hand, the gesture was familiar. He took her upstairs and she nodded her head at me when our eyes met. I saw her make-up that had been perfectly applied earlier on, had smudged almost artfully. As if she had been crying or sleeping. I dread to think of any other reason. I went to go sit in the front room and waited until it was dark enough outside and everyone inside was busy enough for me to slip out unnoticed.

 

The streets were deserted, but not silent. I could hear almost silent footsteps grazing the pavement. I made my way to the street lamp, it wasn’t too far from home. Making sure to stay in the light, so I didn’t bump into any angry Clanimae, I reached my destination. I waited just out of the light beam, so I could see clearly but I wasn’t highlighted from a mile away. I stood there, waiting. I could have sworn I felt a pair of eyes on me but whenever I turned around to check, the street was empty. After five minutes I had sincerely convinced myself that there was something hidden in the shadows. Every sound backed up my paranoia. I could sense the being, whatever it was, stalk closer to me with every second that passed. I heard a hiss behind me and ran as fast as I could through the darkness and back home. When I came back into the house, Tom was waiting up. I was crying but before he could ask why, I ran upstairs to my room and locked the door behind me.

 

 

“You are never leaving the house again without me.” Tom declared the next morning.

“You’re not in charge of me.” I told him, drying the plate he’d just finished cleaning.

“I mean it Joanie.”

“You can’t tell me what to do.”

“Joanie, I swear I’ll tell Lucy and Zoey. You can’t leave.”

“You can’t stop me.” I reminded him.

“Just watch me.” He threatened.

I almost growled. “You’re not my brother Tom.” I said, my voice hardly any louder than usual. I didn’t want to draw attention to myself. I continued, “You’re not my father. And you’re definitely not my boyfriend.” I tossed the plate onto the side and marched out bumping straight into Matt.

He held me by the tops of my arms, “Jo, what’s wrong?”

“Get off me.” I shrugged. He let me go, then he turned to hurl abuse at Tom.

“She owes you nothing!” Matt yelled, he obviously had heard the conversation. Tom just stood there silent, almost embarrassed. “You can’t tell her what to do. It’s not your place. It never was. It’s never going to be!”

I felt kind of bad, but not bad enough to go back into the kitchen. I just sat in the living room next to Lucy silently.

 

I hated that he wasn’t there. Ste should have been there. I shiver ran down my spine when I thought who had been waiting for me there last night. The strange thing was, it didn’t put me off. I was going again tonight. I couldn’t bare not to. What if the one night I didn’t go, he was there waiting for me? That thought was unbearable. So I would continue to go until he turned up, or Tom chained me to my door. Whichever came first.

 

Matt came into the kitchen and he looked tired. I suddenly felt worried. Everybody seemed to be losing their energy very quickly lately. He motioned for me to follow him. He grabbed a plate of food and I went with him upstairs to his room. She was lying on the bed, rocking slightly. Jumping at the slightest noise. She almost fell off her bed when he walked in. She looked at me at I realised now which I’d been too stubborn to notice before. Things, like how her cheekbones pressed against her thin skin. Her hair was greasy and unbrushed. Her body was too thin and she looked malnourished. I smiled sympathetically at her. She smiled back.

Tom turned to me. “You got any clothes for Ella to borrow?” I nodded and went quickly to go get her jeans and a t-shirt. I looked quickly at the sizes, but I already knew they would be too big for her. She left for the shower and took the clothes with her. She smiled and nodded at me as she went.

When it was just me and Matt, he collapsed onto the bed.

“Is she okay?” I asked. He shrugged his shoulders.

He bit down on his lip. “Do you think Zoey will let her stay here?”

“I don’t know.”

“If I asked her, do you think she’ll let her stay?”

“I don’t really know.”

“Jo, come on.”

Suddenly, unjustifiably, I was annoyed. “I’m not gonna let some girl stay here so you two can shack up. Just for you to turf her out on the street the second you get bored.”

He jumped up quickly. “How dare you? It’s not like that at all. We haven’t even kissed. I don’t even fancy her. Don’t get me wrong.” He corrected himself. “She’s not ugly or anything. I just…She needs someone to look after her.”

I breathed in deeply. “Then ask Zoey. What’s the worst that could happen?”

“True…” He said leaving the room, lost deep in his thoughts. I followed him and realised he was going to find Zoey. We found her in the front room playing cards with Lucy. I took Zoey’s place and listened carefully to the conversation in the other room.

“Zoey…I…errm.” I imagined Matt chewing down hard on his lip.

“Spit it out Matt.” Zoey said indulgently.

“We have a lot of room here.”

“Yes, we do.” Zoey answered warily.

“Theresagirlupstairsandshehasnowheretogoandithoughtthatmaybeshemightbeallowedtostayheresinceshehasnowhereelsewhatdoyouthink?”

“Slow down Matt. Say it again. Slower!”

“There’s a girl upstairs and she has nowhere to go and I thought that maybe…she might be allowed to stay here. You know, she has nowhere else. What do you think?”

“I’d have to meet her, of course.”

“Okay.” Matt agreed eagerly. He rushed out of the room and I heard him take the stairs two at a time. Ella must have been in and out of the shower because I saw him and her fly past the living room doorway. I tried not to listen to this part of the conversation. It felt like an interview and listening to her answers felt like reading her diary.

 

After what seemed like forever the three of them walked into the living room. Before coming in Matt called up to Tom. When he finally came down the stairs, Zoey turned to smile at Lucy and me. “This is Ella. She’s going to be part of our family now.” It was as simple as that. Tom introduced himself, kissed her lightly on the cheek, and then went back up to this room. Lucy went over to her and taking her hand she brought her to the card game. Lucy reshuffled the cards and joined her in the game. After a couple of hours Zoey took Lucy to bed. Then, Matt showed Ella her room. It was so strange watching someone experience the same thing that I went through not long ago. It was like looking in a mirror. Except in a weird way, I was a lot luckier. First of all, I found these guys quicker than she did. Secondly, I had always made sure we had enough to eat. And lastly, I had always had Lucy, Ella had no one. Soon everyone was in bed. Matt said that he would try to stay up, but couldn’t promise anything. I told him not to worry but he insisted all the same.

 

The lights turned off and I was off again. Terrified and shaken I walked stubbornly to my street lamp. I stood there, overwhelmed yet again by the feeling of being watched. But I refused to move. The feeling that he would be here tonight was stronger then the instinct of danger. I acknowledged the danger, then I discarded the thought. For some reason, I didn’t care. I could hear familiar noises behind me. But the familiarity didn’t offer me any comfort. I knew where I’d heard the noise before, here, last night. I waited for the hiss to come. When I did I had to work hard to keep my legs from sprinting in any direction that took me away from here. I locked my muscles into place and waited.

 

Then it suddenly dawned on me, maybe it was him! Maybe he just didn’t recognise me. Maybe he would reveal himself and then I would remind him who I was then…maybe he was just messing around trying to freak me out…maybe he’d been thinking about me as much as I have, him…maybe…hopefully, maybe. Time passed, it could have only been seconds, but it felt like hours. Why didn’t he just say hello? He seemed friendly enough before. I waited impatiently for him to realise who I was. I heard a rustle and realised instantly that he was moving. I readied myself, a smile crept onto my face.

“Well hello.” A strange Clanimae girl sneered at me. I staggered backwards. “You must be Joanie.” She smirked. I tried to force words out of my mouth but they wouldn’t come. Who was she? How did she know who I was? What did she want? “Hmmm, you really are as pretty as he said you were. Too bad.”

“Too bad, what?” I finally murmured.

Her voice was full of false sympathy. “That you’re going to die, tonight.”



© 2010 MaryP


Author's Note

MaryP
Even if you didn't read/like the first chapter I hope you gave this one a go; a lot more happens in the second chapter compared to the first.
What did you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
Added on December 2, 2010
Last Updated on December 2, 2010


Author

MaryP
MaryP

United Kingdom



About
If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing - Benjamin Franklin I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they .. more..

Writing
Clifftop Clifftop

A Poem by MaryP